1st time using drum, have some ?'s

Please just post constructive comments, this is not meant to be a bashing thread!!!

First time using my MD-20 drum this weekend, I fitted my drum the previous night, the drum locks up tight with no play or movement. I ran three 12 rd surefire mags of federal buckshot through my gun to get her warmed up before I changed to the drum. All three mags cycled all the rounds perfectly. I inserted the drum (same ammo), cycled 4 rounds then a failure to feed because the shell didn't ramp up into the chamber properly, cycled 4 or 5 rounds fine then a FTE. I had two more failure to feeds after that. Reloaded the drum ran a bit better but still had some issues.

Are there any other fitment issues I need to look at, maybe some others have run accross something like this. The only thing I can think is it may not be lined up properly, maybe I did or didn't do something when I fitted the drum. It's just odd that the stick mags ran perfecly, which leads me to believe this may be something I did with the drum.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by JDeere7296

Hello

Do you have the Gunfixr gas plug installed? I've had issues with my drums not cycling these shells, either, which sucks, 'cause they are my favorite defensive load, and I have a buttload of 'em.

MD says the addition of the Gunfixr plug (now probably the MD plug, instead...) will cure the problem, but honestly, I haven't had mine out and tested it since receiving the gas plugs.

I truly hope they perform the needed magic for these drums......

If you don't mind, keep us updated on your progress.

Respectfully posted,

guido

copy and pasted from MDArms website:

Please note: Some Saiga-12's will require fitting of the mag due to inconsitant factory tolerance of the gun. If your mag doesn't lock into your gun please carefully read your MD-20 User's Guide provided with every mag and also watch our fitting video by clicking this FITTING VIDEO LINK. This is super simple to do. Just read, watch, and understand BEFORE you fit. Not all Saiga-12's will require you to fit the mag.

Also depending on your gun characteristics you may have problems cycling SOME high brass ammos. If you do there is a simple and cheap ($40) fix from Gunfixer's Improved Gas Plug. It installs in minutes simply by unscrewing the factory plug and screwing this one back in it's place. Completely reversible and doesn't require shipping your gun off with a $180 minimum, plus shipping, plus ffl transfer fees like the competition's unnecessary, irreversible "reliability service."

The improved gas plug has many other benefits as well and we feel all Saiga-12 owners will benefit from it's improvements even if you don't have any problems, please view the improved plug for more details or to add one to your order CLICK HERE ! The high brass cycling issues are dependent to certain ammo makes and varying gun characteristics. Some guns with some high brass ammo make for an over gassed system that can out cycle the drum. If all you plan to shoot is low or medium brass a new plug is not needed. Many people haven't had any problems with high brass either but if you are one that does the plug will fix it! The plug will tame the heaviest and meanest of loads!! You can order one anytime after receiving your drum if you have high brass problems. If you aren't sure what high brass is please view the last Q&A on the bottom of the FAQs page.

I do have the gunfixer plug in and I tried it on +1 setting (which usully runs buckshot fine) I tried setting #2 but same issues, didn't try setting #3 though.

Gun ran fine on +1 setting with stick mags in and no I didn't try any other ammo, the buckshot was all I brought with me.

So if I'm reading this right, the high brass willl cause the gun to cycle faster than the drum can keep up. That may be why the gun ran fine with the stick mag and not the drum, I'm just guessing on this.

copy and pasted from MDArms website:

Please note: Some Saiga-12's will require fitting of the mag due to inconsitant factory tolerance of the gun. If your mag doesn't lock into your gun please carefully read your MD-20 User's Guide provided with every mag and also watch our fitting video by clicking this FITTING VIDEO LINK. This is super simple to do. Just read, watch, and understand BEFORE you fit. Not all Saiga-12's will require you to fit the mag.

Also depending on your gun characteristics you may have problems cycling SOME high brass ammos. If you do there is a simple and cheap ($40) fix from Gunfixer's Improved Gas Plug. It installs in minutes simply by unscrewing the factory plug and screwing this one back in it's place. Completely reversible and doesn't require shipping your gun off with a $180 minimum, plus shipping, plus ffl transfer fees like the competition's unnecessary, irreversible "reliability service."

The improved gas plug has many other benefits as well and we feel all Saiga-12 owners will benefit from it's improvements even if you don't have any problems, please view the improved plug for more details or to add one to your order CLICK HERE ! The high brass cycling issues are dependent to certain ammo makes and varying gun characteristics. Some guns with some high brass ammo make for an over gassed system that can out cycle the drum. If all you plan to shoot is low or medium brass a new plug is not needed. Many people haven't had any problems with high brass either but if you are one that does the plug will fix it! The plug will tame the heaviest and meanest of loads!! You can order one anytime after receiving your drum if you have high brass problems. If you aren't sure what high brass is please view the last Q&A on the bottom of the FAQs page.

I do have the gunfixer plug in and I tried it on +1 setting (which usully runs buckshot fine) I tried setting #2 but same issues, didn't try setting #3 though.

Gun ran fine on +1 setting with stick mags in and no I didn't try any other ammo, the buckshot was all I brought with me.

Try a drum of high-brass on the -1 setting.

Try a drum of high-brass on the -1 setting.

I'll try that and see what happens, thanks for the replys. I'll post what I find out.

-Andy

And if setting the plug to -1 doesn't do it, then u may need to adjust the spring tension inside the drum. The manual explains this. I would call mike and explain to him what's going on and see if he can diagnose what's going on based on the malfs you are having.

Edited by sapper1371usmc

I hope you get the problem resolved. Please let us know what you find out. My drums functioned flawlessly out of the box with 00 Buck as fast as I could pull the trigger. There was no "drum can't keep up" syndrome. I call BS on that one. I don't know where that came from, and have a hard time believing it. Spring pressure is spring pressure. Stick or drum. I did, however, spray silicone all inside the drum, and worked it manually several times before I got a chance to shoot it. (loaded it and unloaded it several times) I do this to my stick mags as well.

Ummm, it's not just any 00 buck, it's certain loads. This was a shortcoming discussed by MD Arms when the drums were first released. It's not BS, but it is kind of aggravating.

I'm glad yours are working well with whatever loads you are running through them.

Respectfully,

guido

My drum had a 5 drum load break in where I got a few FTFs & FTEs (1 per drum load, usually between the 3rd or 4th round), but I did all that with Federal # 6 lowbrass game loads.

After the 5 drums, I haven't had 1 issue & I shoot with the same spring tension setting on both the lousiest winchester value pack to Winchester Super X 9 pellet .00 buck, which is what I keep her filled with.

And I run the factory plug.

Then again, my gun is properly ported & all the innards are polished & profiled correctly as seen Here.

Done1-2.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

Thanks for all the replys and comments. I'll try the different setting on the gas plug, if that doesn't work I'll try shooting some more rounds through it to see if it needs more breaking in. If none of that doesn't work, I'll check with Mike to see if he can help, I want to exhaust all other possibilities before I bother Mike, I'm sure he is a very busy man these days!!