Sights on a Saiga 12??

I mounted an EOTECH XPS3-0 sight and it is just too big so I'm looking into iron sight options before going with one of the mini red dots.

I have an Ulimak rail atop my Saiga 12 and was wondering if anyone has ever used AR-15 type flip-up iron sights on thier Saiga. I understand that the sight radius is very short but it is a shotgun. I can hit center mass on torso sized gongs at 100 yards with a Glock so I was thinking that BUIS sights, even in a short sight radius, should work just fine.

Also does anyone know of a rear sight that I can put on the Ultimak rail that will co-witness with the Krebs (or any other brand) bolt on front sight?

Thanks in advance for any help. I love this site!!!!

Edited by 1911freak

Also does anyone know of a rear sight that I can put on the Ultimak rail that will co-witness with the Krebs (or any other brand) bolt on front sight?

It seems that it would have to be fairly low profile to be on the same plane as a barrel mounted sight. I don't know of a sight that I think would co-witness. Perhaps you could so something custom like have a rail mounted sling swivel base dovetailed for a pistol sight. A Dinzag tall front sight would likely make things a little easier, it's made to co-witness with his RSB which uses a standard AK type rear sight.

Edited by bigj480

i don't know about co witnessing with sights on the rail. Think it would be high no matter what you add. You would be better off with iron sight or a red dot, don't think any one has come up with a way to do co-witness on AK based weapons other then the micro dot that Larue was offering as a replacement for the rear leaf sight.

Edited by Rusty truck

Hello

I did this a couple of years ago with a top mounted rail, AR BUIS, and an AR10 gas block and spacer to bring the front up a bit. It all co-witnesses fine. I'm not sure why I would need to, but I can.....

post-3965-12711272095787_thumb.jpg

guido

Hello

I think it was a 1/2" Yankee Hill block. I'd have to check, but it seems it was.

-guido

Hello

I did this a couple of years ago with a top mounted rail, AR BUIS, and an AR10 gas block and spacer to bring the front up a bit. It all co-witnesses fine. I'm not sure why I would need to, but I can.....

post-3965-12711272095787_thumb.jpg

guido

Nice setup, how tall was your spacer?

The Krebs sight with a fiber optic or tritium front post is a very good option and gives a longer sight radius. It's also fairly low profile and light weight.

I agree. Also, remember that this is a 12-ga shotgun we're talking about, guys. 100 yrds max effective range. Krebs irons are great for this range.

If you must have a red-dot, why not mount it on the side rail that's built into the receiver? :huh:

To each his own, though.

Hello

Well, I don't know first-hand, but I have read reports of FTE's with Eotechs mounted on the side rail.

Sounds kinda far-fetched to me, but it seems more than one person has experienced that.

And as I mentioned in my post, "not sure why I would need it (co-witness) but I can..."

At the time, I just wanted to have some irons on there, since the top rail eliminated 'em, so why not try to line 'em up?

Respectfully,

guido

The Krebs sight with a fiber optic or tritium front post is a very good option and gives a longer sight radius. It's also fairly low profile and light weight.

I agree. Also, remember that this is a 12-ga shotgun we're talking about, guys. 100 yrds max effective range. Krebs irons are great for this range.

If you must have a red-dot, why not mount it on the side rail that's built into the receiver? :huh:

To each his own, though.