Intro and Tromix S-02

I wanted to take an opportunity to say hello as a new member.

Just ordered a Tromix S02 from Tony and am now on his waiting list. While I'm in the holding pattern, wanted to get some insights from the members here on things I need to know, perhaps options that I should (or shouldn't) consider, etc.

This is destined to replace my Colt AR as a SHTF and back-up home defense weapon (assuming she turns out very reliable and comfortable in close quarter work).

Looking forward to being part of the boards.

Matt

I wanted to take an opportunity to say hello as a new member.

Just ordered a Tromix S02 from Tony and am now on his waiting list. While I'm in the holding pattern, wanted to get some insights from the members here on things I need to know, perhaps options that I should (or shouldn't) consider, etc.

This is destined to replace my Colt AR as a SHTF and back-up home defense weapon (assuming she turns out very reliable and comfortable in close quarter work).

Looking forward to being part of the boards.

Matt

That's good news for a first post. Many start with "Help!", lol.

+1 on the upright charging handle. I have the fever for one. The skull version adds a evl touch too....

ETA: Duh.... Welcome aboard!

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I would have to agree with bob. If you get only one "option" get the SRT for sure. Then I would say the galil stye charging handle or the xs tritium sights. Maybe the krebs ghost ring would be a cheaper option with a tritium insert if you want night sights but I have no experience with them. I had the srt, galil charging handle, and xs sights put on my Tromix build. I must say the trigger work Tony does is excellent on the srt. The xs tritium sights are also some of the best I have used especially for close range with my sbs.

Edited by raidersfan_5544

Many thanks for all the replies for a new member. I did get the trigger group and the night sites (along with pitcanny fore stock) so think I'm good to go on that but the charging handle wasn't on my build list and it's caught me a bit by surprise. Like to get some insight on the value of it. This is intended for a home defense weapon (fall back to a Sig 226). Folding stock would definitely be deployed in the event of a bad-guy scenario (just like the cheek weld). Intent is to spring for a Surefire tactical handle/light combination which, while heavy, is built like a truck and gives me illumination at the finger-tip. Really interested in the charging handle and how it improves use.

I love the galil style charging handle. I have a Tromix built S12 with the galil charging handle and a SGL21(7.62x39) with the standard charging handle(right side of reciever). I think the galil charging handle makes mag changes more natural. After the mag is empty I feel it is easier to exchange mags and rack the bolt with my left hand over the top. Rather than having to reach over or under the reciever to reach the handle with my left hand.

I think I will spring for one soon, but I have to find someone to weld it. I'll let you know how well I like it.

My thinking on the matter was:

If the CH is vertical, I can keep my right hand on the grip, pull the slide back with my left hand, and manipulate the BHO with my trigger finger.

and, I'm not happy with the awkwardness of the setup as it is, so I'm sure the Galil CH will offer some improvement. I've owned AKs for a long time, but the BHO is somewhat of a 'curve ball' for me.

The vert handle changes the AK manual of arms only slightly, but for my taste it's an improvement in comfort and speed.

You charge the AK with the left hand in either case, but you don't have to rotate the gun as far with the Israeli-style handle.

I'm not a fan of the AK BHO and don't have it on any of my guns.

Edited by BobAsh