• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point about college, 690. My brother has a degree in industrial automation and robotics. I have years of machinist/cnc/welding/mechanic experience and a slew of trade school ceu's. Guess who makes more? That would be me. I'm still in the trade, he delivers pizza now. Hey Bounce, is it true that pilots are some of the lowest paid workers out there? Capitalism: a love story did a piece on them and they make like $29,000/year.

A first-year First Officer for Mesaba Airlines flying a full schedule makes $1750/month. It takes approximately 300 hours away from home to fly the 70 hours required to make that money. Therefore, doing the math, that pilot makes $1750/300 = $5.83 per hour time away from home while on company business.

A 20-year captain, flying a full schedule in the Saab 340, will make $15.63 per hour for every hour he spends away from home on company business.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/mesaba.html

Understand, that's gross. That doesn't account for income taxes and union dues.

Sorry for the hijack. Just answering a question.

Edited by Bounce12

And another thing Bron, I fucking dare you to spend a whole minute seriously pondering this...

Imagine what it must be like to man the fuck up enough to start something where you actually WRITE pay checks. Can you imagine? No, seriously, I know you can't.

If you want to impress me with your knowledge of how life is, start a business that creates jobs and writes paychecks. I'll bet big money that you can't do it.

But bounce...

Did you educate yourself out of your own pocket?

Did you build your own business from ONLY monies you ever earned on your own or loans that you secured without a cosigner?

Did you work from day 1 & not have ANY help from your father who previously owned his own company?

I mean no help whatsoever. Not a penny of assistance for startup capitol or assistance starting off in life other than a foot in the ass out the door & a wish of good luck?

I'm not eluding to anything here, as I don't know.

But you have previously stated where you come from & I would find it kinda weird if you had NO help or guidance whatsoever with your background & this argument is unfair if you already had a foundation to start on & the other guy didn't.

I'm not saying he's OWED a foundation, just that it's a real son of a bitch to start an upstart company without one.

(especially when the established companies take your ideas & flood the market before you can get shelf space in many stores)

That being said, it's also kinda hard to compete & make & sell a product for profit when the raw steel & cutting disks cost more than a finished product manufactured in china...

Especially when all the companies conspire to keep wages down to compete with those who have already shipped jobs overseas..

A little protectionism is due.

Edited by Paulyski

And another thing Bron, I fucking dare you to spend a whole minute seriously pondering this...

Imagine what it must be like to man the fuck up enough to start something where you actually WRITE pay checks. Can you imagine? No, seriously, I know you can't.

If you want to impress me with your knowledge of how life is, start a business that creates jobs and writes paychecks. I'll bet big money that you can't do it.

That being said, it's also kinda hard to compete & make & sell a product for profit when the raw steel & cutting disks cost more than a finished product manufactured in china...

Especially when all the companies conspire to keep wages down to compete with those who have already shipped jobs overseas..

A little protectionism is due.

From Wikipedia >>> Subject: Most Favored Nation trading status (Emphasis mine)

MFN/NTR status for China, a non-market economy, which had been originally suspended in 1951, was restored in 1980 and was continued in effect through subsequent annual Presidential extensions. Following the brutal suppression of pro-democracy demonstrators in Tiananmen Square in 1989, however, the annual renewal of China’s MFN status became a source of considerable debate in the Congress; and legislation was introduced to terminate China’s MFN/NTR status or to impose additional conditions relating to improvements in China’s actions on various trade and non-trade issues. Agricultural interests generally opposed attempts to block MFN /NTR renewal for China, contending that several billion dollars annually in current and future U.S. agricultural exports could be jeopardized if that country retaliated. In China’s case,Congress agreed to permanent normal trade relations (PNTR) status in P.L. 106-286, President Clinton signed into law on October 10, 2000.[2] PNTR paved the way for China’s accession to the WTO in December 2000; it provides U.S. exporters of agricultural products the opportunity to benefit from China’s WTO agreements to reduce trade barriers and open its agricultural markets.

1.) Remove this status from China

2.) They will likely retaliate so buckle up.

2a.) To impose some high costs on them institute 2 things shorty before step 1. (~1 year)

i.) Let Japan build its own offensive military again. They can fight their own battles now, and we can save money on bases that aren't absolutely vital. China will be rather well.... unhappy by this development. But since Japan is a proto nuclear state what could they do?

ii.) Sell heavy weaponry to Japan....lots of it.

iii.) Sell sophisticated air and sea defenses to Taiwan... lots of it.

3.) Pull out of NAFTA with Mexico. Soon to be failed state.

4.) Neuter the EPA and let the states do this as they see fit. Get on board with cheap scalable energy (nuclear, coal, natural gas) to power the steel mills that are coming back. Require by legislation that all gov't or civic construction must use USA made materials.

5.) Time for dinner, but again just getting started.

Edited by 690gr

For anyone interested: In 1999 My wife and I started our business using ONLY the proceeds from my last pay check, I got paid twice a month, 1/15, which was only $900.00. She worked as a "nanny/sitter" for 2 little spoiled kids. We scraped and saved EVERY penny, and at times had to borrow money on the titles to our vehicles at the bank to pay bills, in 2001, we had a "customer" stiff us for $17,000.00, and in 2002 & 2003, got robbed on 4 different occasions, total lose of parts and pumps in all 4, totaled almost $250,000.00, we borrowed more money, and even looked in the sofa cushions for change to make ends meet, but we survived. In late 2008, I was set to hire 2 people to help me in the shop with machining and assembly, or so I thought. Things started to slow down, and I had to make the decision to hold off. These where to be 2 nice positions, paying good money, which would have taken one hell of a load off me, but as I have seen so far this year with the results of the totals from last year, if I had of hired these guys, I would have had to let them go soon after hiring them, our business was down over $600,000.00 last year, thanks to the ass wipes that started this mess.

For the life of me, I can NOT UNDERSTAND how someone can think that they are owed anything in a job, HELL, we have not taken a pay check, only enough money to pay our immediate bills and food. Yeh, I used to work for a large firm, I busted my ass, I made good money, I moved up, but also found that being up there was not where I wanted to be, as some people say "I wondered why my head was always wet", I realized that some people just enjoyed pissing on other peoples heads down the ladder. Not to say that all higher ups are that way, my immediate supervisor was the BEST man you could ever work for, and taught me many things, but he also taught me that IF I WANTED TO HAVE ANYTHING OR GO ANYWHERE IN LIFE, I ALSO HAD TO WORK FOR IT, just as my father tried to tell my young, dumb, full of cum crazy head when I was younger.

We only recently, about 5 years ago, where able to afford to pay for health insurance, we paid out of our own pocket for my wifes broken ankle, and 2 stints after a heart attack (still paying that bill), We didn't jump up and scream that that it was owed to us, we did what we where taught to do, take care of ourselves.

Now yes, there are and have been business's closing up around us, mostly small, family owned that are being run out by the bigger ones like Walmart, Lowes, and the sorts, ours is more industrial based and we do very little in state business, so other than the country as a whole being effected, we are some what isolated from the crap here locally.

BUT NO ONE IS OWED ANYTHING.

I'll get off my soap box now

Imagine a situation where, after you satisfy customers, replentish your inventory, pay your taxes, pay the bills and pay the employees, you THEN get to see if there is anything left for yourself. Imagine that you used your life savings to get that business started and idiots like 0bama want to RAISE your taxes even higher. After all, you're a rich business owner and it's not fair to the rest of society that you have more than anyone else.

I am willing to bet that you don't have the stones to seriously consider doing something like that to say nothing of actually doing it.

You are right. I'm in a dead end job, and have, really no chance in "creating more productivity". I deliver goods. I am a glorified transportation worker. Just as you were when you were a pilot. The only point I try to make about the unions, is that they are a leash on the huge companies. Without the unions, the companies could go back to 16 hour a work days. And demand anything they want from their employees. I guess I'm like the frog in a skillet. I don't notice the water getting hotter as it gets turned up, until I'm cooked. No one is owed anything. But, if the owners of the company care enough, they will pay their workers a wage that will allow them to buy that home, or that car. That's how the economy works. If you don't pay a decent wage, nothing gets bought. When you get a business going, and it pays only pennies on the dollar, that is called a sweatshop. Do you think the term "He got railroaded" came out of thin air? Unions exist to protect the rights of the workers. Yes, I agree with you on almost all points, but workers should be protected from those they work for as well. I may not be "owed anything", but I don't have to be raped if the company sees fit. If the company make billions, and the profits are millions, and the workers get paid just enough to scrape by, WHO really profits? Not the local economy. Also, If every person started their own company, like you, or were self sufficient, like you, how would things get done? There are always going to be workers. No matter what. It's the cost of doing the job. I do envy you, for finding an escape hatch. It's not in most peoples's grasp.

Now we're GOING TO eventually piss off China enough to go to war, we may as well do it before they are strong enough & we are weak enough for them to win.

Just my .02 cents

Let Japan and Taiwan be our buffers.... much cheaper. Together they could really bloody the nose. Plus we could sell them tons of what we make better than anyone else on the planet, heavy industry military wares (Fighters,ships,subs, missiles, etc,...)

Edited by 690gr

Now we're GOING TO eventually piss off China enough to go to war, we may as well do it before they are strong enough & we are weak enough for them to win.

Just my .02 cents

Let Japan and Taiwan be our buffers.... much cheaper. Together they could really bloody the nose. Plus we could sell them tons of what we make better than anyone else on the planet, heavy industry military wares (Fighters,ships,subs, missiles, etc,...)

I couldn't agree more. Taiwan is the largest point of military contention between our 2 nations anyhow.

Ummmm, hokay, so if I invest in a mutual fund that owns stock in any company that moves capacity overseas, both the company's officers and I should go to jail, right? Yeah, that's a great idea!

Yup. You wanna own part of a company that ships jobs overseas then I am all for you going to jail (and possibly getting butt raped while in jail). Kinda harsh ehh? Wouldn't that make you think twice about owning a company that ships our jobs to China or Mexico?

No, it wouldn't make me think twice about owning a company that ships jobs to China or Mexico. It'd make me think twice about staying here though. I'd fucking leave.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out kid...