while loading up some 45acp today I stumbled across a couple things. One, Wolf 45acp uses a standard large pistol primer, and I never even noticed it going through the press, anybody ever mess with reloading Wolf?

Two, CCI blazer uses a small pistol primer, I messed around and loaded one to see if it would work, but haven't (and not sure if I will) fired it yet. Any unseen problems with this? I don't think I would use it for everyday shooting, but I wonder if I should be hanging on to it instead of throwing it away (exp. Zombie Apocalypse).

I wish that the ammo/brass manufacturers would get together and eliminate the large primer entirely, I can't see what purpose it serves in modern ammo.

have a nice evening.

ML

Being cheap I use a lot of “range” brass for reloading and have probably at some point loaded or screwed up every brand of brass made for a 45, 40, or a 9. I’ve only come across a few of the small pistol primer 45s but do know a few people who actually look for them trying to go to 1 size primer and they don’t have any issues with loading or shooting them.

IMO the only real issue with brass is if it will work safely in my gun/s, if you are into bull’s-eye shooting that demands better groups having consistent components might be more important. So much of the shooting I do is in grass that I figure the loss of range brass back to the range is no loss.

Edited by going12220

Other than having to have two different components... I dont think it will effect anything... Hell, Remington makes their 7.62 X 39 brass with both large and small rifle primers... Thats a pain in the butt... but it doesnt effect how the rounds shoot... just an FYI...

:smoke:

• 2 weeks later...

i have a few hundred of the CCI/blazer 45 acp with the small pistol primers, and they work great, ive already have reloaded them and shot them, i used clays universal, and bear creek lead 230 gr bullets, didnt have any problems with it, and to me it wold be nice if they could just make them one size primers..... it is annoying while in the zone priming brass that you have to switch out and put a differnt prime... but oh well... life goes on, lead still flies.... and paper dies.... hoped it helped... or let soem light in.... :unsure: