Wood Stocks, Magazines, Front Sights

Hello All,

My wife goofed and bought me a gun cabinet for Christmas, and one with extra room to boot! Dunhams had Saiga 7.62x39 for $179 and I could not resist.

Now I have a couple of newbie questions....

1. I see links for wood stocks here and I like the looks and price of those. Any experience on how durable they are vs the plastic stock I have now? Also, the plastic stock seems a tad short to me, would it be easy enough to add a spacer or recoil pad to either one?

2. The same link for wood stocks has 10 rd magazines for $12, about half the going rate of most other sources I could find. Are all 10 rd magazines created equal...i.e. made by Saiga?

3. It seems a bit obscene to spend more for a scope than I paid for the rifle, so:

Are there any upgrades available for the open sights? In particular, does anyone have a source for "neon" type high visibility sights or experience with the same?

Thanks for helping the new guy....

Pharmer

I can answer some fo your questions.

A hardwood stock should be as durable as the synthetic. You should buy saiga wood stocks (if available) and not AK stocks. AK stocks will not fit without doing a pistol grip conversion on your rifle. A recoil pad is easy to add.

A standard AK mag will not fit your rifle without either modifying the mag or your rifle. Make sure that you buy saiga mags.

I have no idea about the sights.

Before converting your rifle you should review the legal issues. This site is an invaluable reference tool.

Thanks for the quick response on my questions.

The link I found on this board for Saiga wood stocks was www.krebscustom.com

On the same website Saiga mags are listed for $12, about half the price of other sources.

When I saw the word 'synthetic' mag and the low price, I was curious if there were different grades available.

thanks...

pharmer

p.s. I had a dog named Zappa once, but eventually shortened it to Zap...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to spend too much for optics on mine so I got the $40. weaver mount from CDNN and an el-cheapo Walmart 3-9x40 scope.That's less than 1/2 the cost of the rifle and it actually works better than I thought it would.

I stumbled onto a couple of 5rd mags from some guy for $5. apiece.They're kinda handier than the 10rd mags sometimes and you can use them for hunting.