I'm using Alliant Blue Dot for 9, 40 and 45 with good results with the heavier bullets for each caliber. But when I move to the lighter bullets and less powder I'm getting a bunch of unburned powder out the end of the bbl. Anybody have similair results and a possible replacement for Blue Dot that burns faster and more completely?

Thanks

Eric

Edited by towerofpower93

That is probably just because of the old "the lighter the bullet, the more powder you need"... More pressure is created with a heavier bullet, so you are using more powder for the lighter loads and hence the extra powder in there? Just a thought. What load data are you using? Like I said, you need more powder for a lighter bullet of the same caliber to achieve the same velocities/performance(well, that's my experience with rifle loads anyways).

I agree. When I load light easy shooting loads for my .44 mag I usually get more residue in the barrel. If you like the way it shoots, it only means 2 more minutes of cleaning time. My lighter loads shoot so well that I am willing to just go with it. Sorry I don't have a better powder idea for you. It depends on what you use the loads for and therefore how important a little unburnt powder really is.

I'm using less powder for the lighter loads. I'm using Lyman's 51st ed. load data. They all shoot straight and group great, just looking for something that burns better so I don't end up with unburnt powder (literally full pieces of blue dot powder) all over the place when firing. I realize it's not a big deal, just trying to tap into the decades of knowledge held by those smarter than I and see if anyone has tested and found a powder which burns cleaner in pistol and carbine length bbls for pistol calibers.

Thanks guys.

Eric

anyone has tested and found a powder which burns cleaner in pistol and carbine length bbls for pistol calibers.

In that case, Accurate #7. It's what I use in my hi-point 9mm carbine, never any unburnt powder (as in chunks like you are getting, there will always be some residue). I never tried any of these loads in a 9mm pistol as they are at the top of the spectrum, right at supposed max but since the hi-point is a simple blow back if its loaded to hot worst that can happen is it opens too soon and a flash comes out the side. I've always been tempted to get my buddy to try one of these in his Glock, they get 1750FPS out of the carbine.

I think I have used bullseye in some 9mm loads in my hi point carbine...

I dont want to say for SURE... but I *THINK* they were like 4.5 - 4.7 grains... :unsure:

Just FYI... I would think you should be able to google all the load data you can want...

:smoke:

I think I have used bullseye in some 9mm loads in my hi point carbine...

I dont want to say for SURE... but I *THINK* they were like 4.5 - 4.7 grains... :unsure:

Just FYI... I would think you should be able to google all the load data you can want...

:smoke:

Well, the accurate #7, I want to say I was using 6.2 grains, yeah, yikes... I'll dig out my load notebooks later. These were using Sierra 115gr hollow points. One last thing, I wouldn't trust any websites where people post their reload data, like always work your way up from 10% of the published load, in the case of net loads, well, I've never used one, but here I am telling mine. Use at your own risk, shit, don't use until I confirm that's exactly what I used. Another last thing, if anybody needs any Sierra data, pm me and I will respond with the proper load data, any caliber they make a bullet for anyways. AGAIN, don't use this data until I confirm.

I only reload .44mag as far as a handgun round goes, but I use H110 powder for most loads and I have used Red dot powder. I use approx 8.5 grains in my light load and it usually burns pretty good. It does leave a bit of crud when I load shot in it for Grouse hunting but I like the load.