What is consider acceptable accurancy?

Me personally,

I think acceptable accuracy with irons at 50-100yrds, means for me to be able to consistently place a quickly aimed shot into the average human sized center of mass... Minute of Man... Pie Plate... 5-8" circle. Irons should be good for human center of mass, with carefully aimed shots, out to 200-300 yards.

Scoped, I should be doing the above out to 300yrds.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I've shot my saiga with iron sights and with a reflex sight. There's no magnification, but it is a little easier than iron sights. Not much, but a little. This rifle was never designed, nor intended, to be shot that far away. It was designed for close combat. Even in it's original caliber, (7,62x39), which is ballistically about head to head even with the Winchester 30-30, and good for 125-150 yards; the AK/Saiga wasn't intended for that far.

Does that mean you can't shoot 100-200 yards with it? No, you can definitely shoot that distance. But there shouldn't be any complaints or discouragement if you can't shoot that accurately at longer yardages. You can drive your Ford Mustang on a professional race track, but you shouldn't be discouraged or upset if you can't keep up with the other cars. Same with the Saiga/AK variants. Doesn't matter if it's 7.62x39, 5.56, 5.45. If you can shoot COM; pie plate; basketball; etc... at 100 yards with iron sights or a reflex type sight, then that weapon is doing exactly what it was meant to do. Capable of shooting people who are trying to shoot you. With a 16-20" barrel, that's exactly what it should do. With iron or reflex sights, I am consistent at about the size of a grapefruit or softball. But for those who want to be a marksman, you really should get a real sniper type rifle and cartridge. Something in the line of a .308 or 30-06. (If you want to stay military round). Then you can scope it and hit your mark at 300+ yards. I do have to admit however, that when I can hit a pie-plate at 200+ yards with my M1-Garand, I am quite giddy and excited. The M1-garand is a fantastic weapon, and a lot of it's performance is the cartridge, but it is exciting. The Saiga/AK just wasn't meant for that.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't use a scope/optics on my Saiga 223, so I can't help you with that part ...

But, at 100 yards, I am reliably putting 100 rounds in a 3" circle with 2-3 fliers.

At 300 yards, you should be easily hitting COM on a man-sized target 90% of the time from prone with a bipod, and 75% of the time prone without bipod.

Usually, the best thing you can do about improving accuracy of your rifle is to practice.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, with my 5.45 I'm getting 14 inch groups at 500 yards with a cheap 9x scope and a USGI sling and russian surplus ammo. That correlates to a 2.8" group at 100 yards.

I think the .223 should be pretty close to that.