Practicality of Folding Stock?

I'm debating whether or not to wait to spend $200 on a Russian/Arsenal solid left folder. How practical is a folder for USE? Obviously, it's practical for storing in tight spaces, but that's a rare circumstance in my book. It seems like it'd be a good CQB gun when the stock is folded, such as turning corners in a building. It seems like the accuracy would be terrible, but that's not so import in CQB. What is the recoil like on these with the stock folded in? I've fired pistol grip 12 gauges, and the recoil makes them impractical IMHO.

I don't know how many of you have felt the comfort of a VLTOR EMOD stock for an AR-15, but it's so comfortable and sturdy! It's the stock used on Kreb's custom telescoping stocks. I love the look of the folder, but the telescoping EMOD seems more practical for a battle weapon. What are your thoughts?

No folding stock is designed to be used while folded.

Folding stocks came about for military purposes. Airborne troops needed a compact version of their rifle for use during jumps.

Commercial America jumped in with 'You can have [X GUN] just like the elite G.I. Joe does!!'. Those Africans we like to make such fun of just use their guns as bullet hoses (and folded stocks [and half folded ones] look WAAY COOL when doing bullet dumps).

Under military doctrine, folding stocks are only folded for transport, and they are unfolded and kept that way once the combat zone is reached.

Nalioth, for the win. Carrying a weapon? Stock shouldn't be folded. Almost all of the practicality of a folding stock is in exactly what you said you don't care about; compact storage or getting into and out of tight spaces. Then again, I'm doubting CQB is a major concern in your daily life either.

CQB would imo be much better with the stock unfolded as well. That way the rifle is ready to fire without any fumbling, and if need be you have a handy club that also goes bang. But yea, folding stocks are basically for that, portability. Easier to jump with, easier to get into and out of vehicles with... It's the same doctrine that was why a lot of tank crews from various militaries have smaller magazines for their rifles than the standard size.

Im no expert here, but heres my opinion. Folding stocks are cool and all but not really $200 dollars worth of my money cool. As others have said they are most convenient for compact transport, but a fix stocked ak is definetly manageable enough for me.

I'm debating whether or not to wait to spend $200 on a Russian/Arsenal solid left folder. How practical is a folder for USE? Obviously, it's practical for storing in tight spaces, but that's a rare circumstance in my book. It seems like it'd be a good CQB gun when the stock is folded, such as turning corners in a building. It seems like the accuracy would be terrible, but that's not so import in CQB. What is the recoil like on these with the stock folded in? I've fired pistol grip 12 gauges, and the recoil makes them impractical IMHO.

I don't know how many of you have felt the comfort of a VLTOR EMOD stock for an AR-15, but it's so comfortable and sturdy! It's the stock used on Kreb's custom telescoping stocks. I love the look of the folder, but the telescoping EMOD seems more practical for a battle weapon. What are your thoughts?

It's just the stock that costs $200. The folding mechanism is extra and you need to do some serious mods to your gun in order to install it. I believe that gunsmiths charge $300 for this work.

+1 to pretty much everything that's already been said.

About the only time I'd see you possibly firing the weapon with the stock folded (other than just for the hell of it at the range, I guess) MIGHT be if you're inside a vehicle and need to maneuver it around to fire. Even then, if you CAN shoulder it, you'd be more accurate.

Transporting the rifle in a non-threatening case (like a gym bag or musical instrument case) would be good with a folding stock. Other than that, there's really no benefit I see.

If you don't want one, don't get one. There is no one size fits all answer. I have a folder on mine and it serves a very real purpose.

As to your suggestion for the VLTOR EMOD stock designed for an AR-15, most of these stocks need some kind of raiser to get a proper cheekweld when used on an AK, particularly when an optic is employed.

What I was told is folders on combat rifles came from guys getting their jaw broken by fixed stock rifles on landing after a jump.

Not sure you could hit much with it folded but the option is there. I have short carbines for the truck and car guns, hi-points 40cal and despite any gun snobbery they are excellent weapons. For the other needs I keep a Kel-tec sub2K 40 cal that folds in half for storage/hiding even in a fanny pack if I want( talk about handy some LEOs use them for that reason). That it uses the same mags as my Glock also doesn't hurt for a "Crisis Bag" to carry when out and about in Arizona ;). Outside of storage I never saw any need for a folder since Im not jumping out of a plane again any time soon.

All very useful information; thank you guys! In that case, my uses for a folding stock would only be to look cool. I've decided that it's not worth the money or the labor for my uses. I'll stick with a standard stock or go with a telescoping. Thanks for all your input!

The advantages I see to a folding stock are:

Compact storage

Ability to Conceal

Fighting from a vehicle

Within 75-50yds, you can hit torsos fairly easily with a stock folded,provided you are a skilled shooter with a good sling. It's even easier with a gas tube mounted red dot. Put the sling around your neck and push the gun out, putting tension on the sling. This stabilizes the weapon enough and allows a sight picture. Not ideal, but can be used for specific situations. I have a wire folder on my SGL, and like it a lot. Only cost me $50, and is tough as nails with a real solid lockup.

All very useful information; thank you guys! In that case, my uses for a folding stock would only be to look cool. I've decided that it's not worth the money or the labor for my uses. I'll stick with a standard stock or go with a telescoping. Thanks for all your input!

You are allowed to have an opinion, however sooner or later you will decide that the utility of a folding stock is worth the expense. Right now they are relatively available, inexpensive and (more importantly) legal. I would buy now and install when you change your opinion...

Secret :ph34r: Ninja!

Edited by bigsal

Have to have a folder.

How else are you gonna drive and shoot out the window.

Not sure what to make of this. Humor, maybe?

We didn't have any troubles shooting from the windows of our HMMVWs in Iraq with M16A2 rifles.

Three reasons I currently have a Romanian Push-button wire folder on one of my Arsenal SGL20s:

1) It fits in a tennis bag, an old musical instrument (trumpet?) case, and also in the small storage space under the carpet in the back of my truck (might fit under the seat, never tried).

2) It might be easier to maneuver in a dark house with it folded--I know my glock 19 would be even easier, but I just like the 7.62x39 with Corbon 150gr or 108gr going over 2000ft/s more than a 9mm pushing 147gr at 950ft/s.

3) Lastly, and this may be my imagination, but the wire-folder SEEMED to absorb some of the recoil. I shot two SGL20s side by side...one had an FSC47 muzzle-brake and a warsaw KVAR stock; the other gun had NO flash-hider or brake, but had a wire-folder...the recoil felt the same. I put the FSC47 on the wire-folder and the felt recoil was insanely mild. (note: 7.62x39s don't recoil much anyway, and I was shooting Brown Bear SP 123gr, which isn't exactly a hot round to begin with, but I like to reduce recoil as much as possible since I'm used to ARs).