Been thinking about purchasing a Saiga 7.62x39

Hi guys, I am very new to Saigas, and this is my first post, I want to build a gun and customize it, and as such I have a few questions...

I'm going to try and post without breaking the "No links if not a sponsor" rule

Ace Ltd. sells what is labeled as Saiga Fixed M4M Six Position Stock Set, has anyone purchased these and how well do they work?

I am also considering purchasing a UTG side rail mount from Cheaper than Dirt, again, same question, has anyone purchased these and how well do they work?

If I am violating any forum rules I am very sorry...

Byram

post-24786-12733747075529_thumb.jpg

If I am violating any forum rules I am very sorry...

Yes, you are breaking rule #1 of the Commandments of Saiga. Convert!

Those stocks have awful balance and don't address the trigger. They are a waste compared to a real conversion.

You want an M4 style stock? Buy this. Trust me man. There are dozens of people here who will help you with the conversion process, as well as multiple in depth videos. It requires only a few hours and some basic tools.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-450/SAIGA-RIFLE-CONVERSION-KIT/Detail

One of those, and a flat or round trunion bullet guide is all you need.

post-21696-12733755013136_thumb.jpeg

I have two UTG side rail mounts, and find them to be as advertised. Tight fit, no loss of zero by removing and remounting. As with all order items, shop around before you buy - same item at different outlets = different price. Also, I have only quick-release mounts. Bolt-on mounts run around $5 less. I also second the "correct" conversion - you will appreciate your rifle more when you upgrade it.

Thanks for the advice guys, I have read Dinzig's tutorial on how to convert the Saiga, but I have a problem with it. I honestly think it is beyond my capability in terms of gunsmithing, my concern is I would not reassemble the parts correctly (such as the internals).

There are a few other problems but, I would not prefer to disclose those, I want to make sure my gun is legal for my state.

After the guts 'fall-out' and you dremel the 3 bottom rivets off.

The new stuff literally drops in. The FCG gets assembled before you put it back in (on the sleeve/tube) and the hammer gets the spring 'twist-tied' on then that drops in also.

Pop in the gray pins and retainer plate and your done.

Depending on your state certain people on here if your close to them will assist you.

What state you in?? Alot of people here are from BAN states, but are STATE complaint..

Thanks for the advice guys, I have read Dinzig's tutorial on how to convert the Saiga, but I have a problem with it. I honestly think it is beyond my capability in terms of gunsmithing, my concern is I would not reassemble the parts correctly (such as the internals).

There are a few other problems but, I would not prefer to disclose those, I want to make sure my gun is legal for my state.

it really is easier than you would think. i figured i would put things in wrong, but really there is only one way for it all to fit and function. if you have to take it back apart it makes you that much more familiar with the gun for future purposes.

check on this video, and listen to some of the people on this board. if you run into issues post up and ppl will help.

like stated above basic dis-assembly, grind 3 rivets, pull things out, drop back in, re-assemble. tada!

thanks gents, I did further research and found this video (from another thread here):

and it makes it look very easy... so I will give the conversion a go... again thanks gents!

I'll post pics when I'm done maybe do a WIP

I have NO EXPERIENCE WITH GUNS and just got done doing my conversion and included the BHO, which some say is very hard to do. I read tons of threads and took my time and it went soooo smoothly. It was AWESOME now I know everything about the gun.

BTW THANK EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU FROM DISDAINING THE SAIGA FURNITURE AND PUSHING THE FULL CONVERSION!!!!

Oh and another BTW, why does everyone hate Tapco? I installed their six pos stock and grip and it's tight and feels ultra sturdy.

I have NO EXPERIENCE WITH GUNS and just got done doing my conversion and included the BHO, which some say is very hard to do. I read tons of threads and took my time and it went soooo smoothly. It was AWESOME now I know everything about the gun.

BTW THANK EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU FROM DISDAINING THE SAIGA FURNITURE AND PUSHING THE FULL CONVERSION!!!!

Oh and another BTW, why does everyone hate Tapco? I installed their six pos stock and grip and it's tight and feels ultra sturdy.

Tapco in my opinion does not deserve alot of the crap that they get. Thier stuff isn't always top of the line, but its usually really good for what you pay. To some people though anything less than the best is just offensive. Tapco provides american made products that would otherwise be out of reach to people with more limited budgets, and I think thats pretty noble.