Tactical / Weapons / Defensive Training Seminars

Hello

OK, we have a very comprehensive site here for hardware-related info, but some of us are sorely lacking in real-world skills to take advantage of the firepower.

Any chance we could start a thread for postings and recommendations (and locations) of training seminars?

I guess at some point you come to the realization that you're just another idiot with some nice weapons....

Respectfully,

guido

I think it would be great too, guido. Sites like ARFCOM regularly have members post reviews of training they've taken, or upcoming training. I wish I could help you, but all I have is small arms training from the USAF and USNR (M16A3, M500, and M9), and what I've learned from other more experienced shooters.

I'd like to see some reviews from shooters who've gone to courses -- Particularly Tactical Response's AK Operator Course (they'll let you use their full-autos).

Also, saving up for some courses offered at DFW Gun Range in Dallas. They have an intro handgun, and fighting carbine and shotgun courses I'd like to take. I was going to treat myself to a course this spring, but had to pull $2500 out of our rainy-day fund to drop a new engine in the car. :cryss:

Good luck getting some good info together.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

Hello, Kevin in Texas

Thanks for the bump. Man, I wish I had your training!

This ocurred to me as I was hunting for a post about a tactical shotgun class here in the Houston area this year someone had posted about.

I was going to enroll in an Appleseed course around Austin for long-range shooting stuff, then I came to my senses and realized they would be expecting my bifocaled self to be shooting over irons.

This ol'boy needs glass to see any distance.

I would like to get into some closer-range tactical and defensive stuff, though. Not just static range time.

Respectfully,

guido

Hey Guido,

The Appleseed stuff is shot however you want - Bolt or Semi, Glass or Irons, etc. Masaad Ayub did a right up in this month's Guns Magazine about how he did it using his custom Ruger 10/22 with a nice scope. All day Saturday and 1/2 of Sunday is shot at 25 M. If you "get invited" to Sunday afternoon's shoot, you can then put it into practice out to 500 M if the range supports it. My wife and I will be doing one here shortly, after I buy 2 x Remington 597s w/ glass. I'll bring my Mosin and Saiga if I make it Sunday afternoon.

Could join the Corps. :super::smoke: Or if a club is around, see if what I call "Reality" matches. Most are willing to pass on knowledge and give pointers. After, you might try advanced weapons course. I've helped a CCW instructor with students who want advanced defense courses. Usually women are 30% or better in attendance. Run vehicle, home/building protection and reaction. Off hand, and all unnormal positions is a must. Ex: Laying on back, shooting over head.