Tapco Trigger group..

I'm about to order some stuff to help round out the parts needed for my conversion.. I almost have most of it..

I've been looking at trigger groups and it looks like the Tapco group tends to be the most popular..

I understand that the Tapco group must be modified in order to work in the S12.. The bump must be ground down and there must be some material removed to clear the BHO..

Does anyone have the specs or a nice before/after image of the material that is ground down for the BHO? I've been looking at the pictures at CSS and can't see the difference in the BHO modification..

I know I could just pick up the modified group, but half the fun is modifying this stuff on my own.. :) I enjoy a good trigger job every now and then.. :D

The BHO clearance is that the leg on the right side of the hammer (as if it is in the gun and you are facing the way you have it when shouldered) is shortened slightly. It is a small amount, I forget how much offhand, about 1/16" or so.

Measure the thickness of your BHO lever at the point where the hammer contacts it (it is thinner in this section than at the rest) and that is the amount you need to remove.

... and if I don't get the modified FCG all I'll need is an axis pin and a retaining plate or other method of "retainment" right?

Yes. I would definitely suggest the plate, saves a lot of headache over e-clips or the shepherd's crook IMO.

EDIT: Also, if you go with the plate, make sure you also get a plate modified to work in an S-12.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

Near to far: stock S12, reprofiled Tromix mod'd G2, Tapco G2 fresh out of the box

post-22401-058096300 1275533980_thumb.jpg

This is a pretty good pic of where to grind (other than relief for the BHO)

post-22401-078387500 1275533940_thumb.jpg

Reprofiled hammer before smoothing it out

post-22401-080311000 1275534021_thumb.jpg

The geometry of the factory hammer is different than the G2. Copying the striking face of the factory hammer doesn't quite work out right.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1

Awesome pics! Thanks!

Just trying to help ;)

Done yet? :)

Oh yeah, I did that on a bench grinder. Try to just take off a little at a time and cool the hammer with water often.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Awesome pics! Thanks!

Just trying to help ;)

Done yet? :)

Oh yeah, I did that on a bench grinder. Try to just take off a little at a time and cool the hammer with water often.

I wish I was done.. :) I'm waiting on the trigger to show up.. :)

I own Arsenal 7.62 amd 5.56 Rifles and finally got the courage to convert my Saiga 12 myself this week. I learned alot from this forum, video's and pics. (Including all of the arguments!) I couldn't have done it without your help. I did have a few issues. My Tapco G2 FCG bound up my bolt and would not cycle properly. The hammer was ground down by the vendor to fit the Saiga 12, but it was not right. I reinstalled my factory Saiga hammer with my G2 trigger and it works fine. It took some effort, but I successfully reinstalled the BHO. Lastly, the hitch pin provided for the hammer pin was alittle too long and wouldn't go in all the way. I snipped alittle off the ends and it went right in. It's a basic conversion, and I can't wait to shoot it with a MD-20 drum. (Looking for one now) I'll work on the forearm grip next. I hope to post pics when I'm done. If you are a Saiga owner and are not sure if you can do a conversion, JUST DO IT! Basic tools, patience and the Saiga forum is all it takes.

I own Arsenal 7.62 amd 5.56 Rifles and finally got the courage to convert my Saiga 12 myself this week. I learned alot from this forum, video's and pics. (Including all of the arguments!) I couldn't have done it without your help. I did have a few issues. My Tapco G2 FCG bound up my bolt and would not cycle properly. The hammer was ground down by the vendor to fit the Saiga 12, but it was not right. I reinstalled my factory Saiga hammer with my G2 trigger and it works fine. It took some effort, but I successfully reinstalled the BHO. Lastly, the hitch pin provided for the hammer pin was alittle too long and wouldn't go in all the way. I snipped alittle off the ends and it went right in. It's a basic conversion, and I can't wait to shoot it with a MD-20 drum. (Looking for one now) I'll work on the forearm grip next. I hope to post pics when I'm done. If you are a Saiga owner and are not sure if you can do a conversion, JUST DO IT! Basic tools, patience and the Saiga forum is all it takes.

Welcome aboard, was the bolt bind when you are shooting it or by hand cycling? Sometimes the hammer spring leg moves of a bit and that will also create the problem as well.

Welcome aboard, was the bolt bind when you are shooting it or by hand cycling? Sometimes the hammer spring leg moves of a bit and that will also create the problem as well.

I'll check this out. It must be something simple. I have not shot it yet and have only cycled by hand. Thank you.

I'll check this out. It must be something simple. I have not shot it yet and have only cycled by hand. Thank you.

I agree, I couldn't have done the conversion without help from this forum. It took me two years to get the nerve to convert my Saiga and later my S-12. I also had to grind the FCG mainly the hammer to fit in the receiver and to clear the box in front of the trigger guard which I am still not sure what its purpose is. I probably need to grid the hammer because sometimes the trigger sticks and doesn't return to the firing position. I've read about these problems with the Tapco triggers in the forum and how to eliminate them.