Thumbhole stock options?

Hey guys long time no see, finally moved to the horrible state of NY and my tapco stock isnt and option anymore... So i am looking for a non wood thumbhole style stock to remain legal, Nailbomb mentioned a SLR stock with modifications to fit a saiga, i think this is it

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=173162547

any opinions on this item? hard to mod for a snug fit?

Edited by Modern Warfare

Hey guys long time no see, finally moved to the horrible state of NY and my tapco stock isnt and option anymore... So i am looking for a non wood thumbhole style stock to remain legal, Nailbomb mentioned a SLR stock with modifications to fit a saiga, i think this is it

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=173162547

any opinions on this item? hard to mod for a snug fit?

That stock is only good for a milled reciever.

That stock is only good for a milled reciever.

Anyone with a bit of fabricating ability can make this fit.

akastormi has made SLR 95 stocks fit stamped reciever AKs and user Jase?(the guy who makes the fuglysticks) has one on his S-12 currently.

Its been done, and its not that hard.

Also... I understand you can't link to the site I'm thinking of, but you can find those cheaper.

I too used the SLR stock as did another member here in MA. It is really nice ergonomicaly (sp?) and looking as well. As to fitting, you will need patience. A file. A dremel with the clear router base attachment and dremel router bits, a vise, and a clamp of some sort. 2 hours to fit perfect, plus or minus .5 hour. But, worth it.Here is a link to his: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/61463-Just-Finished-Saiga-12-Conversion

Scroll down and to the next page. some really good pic.s. I believe he used a milling machine though for his slr stock.

The pics in the linked thread are mine. I will say that it is able to be done.

I used the Bridgeport to do it but as others have said a dremel will also work.

You have to go slow and have a bit of patience. If you need better pics I can send some to you.

you will have to modify the front of the stock so the stock will move toward the forward mounted trigger group. the areas that will need to be addressed are both sides, the top where the tab for the rear stock screw goes and the area just above the trigger area for clearance.

Once installed it really feels good and mounts solidly.

I'm aware of what needs to be done to the SLR stock for it to work. Doing it on a vert mill is one thing, but doing it with a Dremel would really take a good eye, a steady hand, and many test fits.... not to mention a lot of patience. A master tinkerer like myself and many others here could probably do it and make it look nice, but the average guy is going to hack it up around the rear sides of the reciever. There are a few thumbhole stocks out there that are a direct fit to the S12 and most stamped AKs. The SLR stock looks nice for a thumbhole stock, but it wouldn't be worth the effort of doing it with a Dremel, to me at least. That might be different if I lived in a communist state.... :horror:

That might would be different if I lived in a communist state.... :horror:

There fixed it for you. :lolol:

Yea living in a non-free state sucks but for those of us who do we have to learn to live within the laws until we can change them. An SLR and forward trigger beat the hell out of a stock set up anyday.

That might would be different if I lived in a communist state.... :horror:

There fixed it for you. :lolol:

Yea living in a non-free state sucks but for those of us who do we have to learn to live within the laws until we can change them. An SLR and forward trigger beat the hell out of a stock set up anyday.

You are probably right.

I don't know how a gun owner could live 'depression free' in a state like that. I'd probably have a heart attack just thinking about it every day. You guys are strong to stay there in spite of things and find the light in the darkness. I'd just leave whether it was a finacially sound decision or not. I'm stubborn like that.

In the spirit of living in a free state.... I have a Russian triangle folder on the way. I'm not leaving FL anytime soon....

If you can find a Bulgarian thumbhole, I highly recommend it (as do everyone else who has one; NB and a few others). Unfortunately, they're scarce nowadays.

I have one that I'll be getting rid of soon, as I'm moving to SC July 1st, and will be able to have an oh-so-evil pistol grip on my S12. But I already gave first dibs on it to another NY'er a long time ago. But if for some reason he doesn't want it, I'll PM you and let you know (if you even want it).