Side Mount Decision

Well, it is time now time to invest in a side mount. And i am still not sure which one to get. I was looking on carolina shooter supplies and found this:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-147/AK47-SIDE-LOW-PROFILE/Detail

This mount seems to be a pretty reasonable price, but if anyone has it, can they give me a brief review of it. Does it have any problems and is it easy to install? And if there are any recommendation on getting a different one, please feel free to add your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

i had one for a while before going to a BP-02. I liked it but it was a little heavy with the extra rail on the side. The majority of it is a thick piece of metal too. I thought it was well made. The clamp may need some adjusting to fit your rail but that is easy to do.

I just bought one of these exact mounts myself a couple weeks back. Seems quite solid, though I haven't shot the rifle with it yet. Not sure if I'll stay with this type of setup or go with something else like an Ultimak though. If I DO go with something else, I'd be willing to sell my mount to you.

Corbin

I have the version with the 3 set screws instead of the quick release lever. I like it a lot. It holds a zero fairly well when removed and put back. I always make sure to push it all the way forward each time. I don't think it's heavy at all. It's aluminum, but the quick release version might be heavier. If you do get the one with 3 set screws, do not overtighten them as the soft aluminum will strip, as one of mine did but it was clearly my fault. even though there are 3 screws, one is all it takes to secure it. It does not move once you slid it on and tighten even a hair. They just need to be a quarter turn past hand tight. Classic Arms has the mount, rings, and a tasco 3-9x40 for $70. I have that setup and can make nice groups out to 500 yards, so far. I plan to go further when I get back home this week.

Edited by toshbar

I have the version with the 3 set screws instead of the quick release lever. I like it a lot. It holds a zero fairly well when removed and put back. I always make sure to push it all the way forward each time. I don't think it's heavy at all. It's aluminum, but the quick release version might be heavier. If you do get the one with 3 set screws, do not overtighten them as the soft aluminum will strip, as one of mine did but it was clearly my fault. even though there are 3 screws, one is all it takes to secure it. It does not move once you slid it on and tighten even a hair. They just need to be a quarter turn past hand tight. Classic Arms has the mount, rings, and a tasco 3-9x40 for $70. I have that setup and can make nice groups out to 500 yards, so far. I plan to go further when I get back home this week.

I have that setup (only a Tasco 3-9x32) and I like it too. I had to add a green UTG laser to the side rail.

I have bought a couple of these mounts from CSS:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-264/AK-Saiga-mount-low/Detail

I have been very happy with them. You do have to make sure and loctite ALL the bolts (mount, rings, etc).

jrmock

I have that same one, but I got it off Ebay, direct from China for eight bucks

I really like it, it's light, it has a quick release, and holds zero even when taking it off and putting it back on

guntec_thumb.jpg

it was perfect for red dots, the only problem was I couldn't get a decent scope mounted forward enough to keep a good cheek weld

so I got one of these beryl rails from DPH Arms and aside from the fact that I have to remove it (and lose zero) to clean it, I couldn't be happier

It's really nice

beryl%20rail%202.JPG

Apparently DPH is out of stock on those and is now offering a quick detach beryl rail at a real nice price

To me it looks like the one I got from them but with the addition of a quick release mechanism in the rear

I'm guessing it will be at least as great as the fixed mount rail I got from them

beryl%20white.JPG

ic. would anyone know why there is the price difference between the mount i showed and the mount that jrmock talked about. I mean it is a $10 difference but the cheaper one has 2 rails vs the more expensive one has one. i am confused.

I had no interest in the one with two rails (not sure what I would put on that side rail) and I wanted the lightest mount that would work. So I forked over another $10. I like it. I modified mine to get better eye relief for a scope (which is what Bucky complained about). I will post a few pictures to show.

jrmock

ic. would anyone know why there is the price difference between the mount i showed and the mount that jrmock talked about. I mean it is a $10 difference but the cheaper one has 2 rails vs the more expensive one has one. i am confused.

I had no interest in the one with two rails (not sure what I would put on that side rail) and I wanted the lightest mount that would work. So I forked over another $10. I like it. I modified mine to get better eye relief for a scope (which is what Bucky complained about). I will post a few pictures to show.

jrmock

alright thanks. i have a scope already that was handed down to me. i forgot the specs but will look later on. and i think i might just go with what you said and add on 10 bucks more. do you like the mount and have you had any problems with it so far?

jrmock

what did you modify on it to extend the eye relief?

jrmock

what did you modify on it to extend the eye relief?

I added two holes in the rail to shift it forward. Here are a couple of pictures of my Leupold scope mounted:

post-11176-008784500 1276216990_thumb.jpg

post-11176-084309600 1276216998_thumb.jpg

it looks good. if you didn't add the 2 extra holes. was it too close to you? and does that have the quick detach as well?

Using that mount in the OEM configuration would have placed the scope too far rearward. It made me put my head way back on the stock.

It is quick detach.

jrmock

I have the UTG 5th gen pictured in the link. I picked mine up off amazon for a few bucks less with free shipping since I was also picking up several books as well.

The mount is rock solid. It has been on and off 3 separate times for either cleaning or using the iron sights. Every time it was back to zero. For 1/2 the price of a BP-02 I think the UTG deserves some real consideration.

I have the UTG 5th gen pictured in the link. I picked mine up off amazon for a few bucks less with free shipping since I was also picking up several books as well.

The mount is rock solid. It has been on and off 3 separate times for either cleaning or using the iron sights. Every time it was back to zero. For 1/2 the price of a BP-02 I think the UTG deserves some real consideration.

when you said half the price, i looked right away. the only thing is that they don't have the single rail anymore. i have no use for 2 rails or even more. thanks for the tip though.

when you said half the price, i looked right away. the only thing is that they don't have the single rail anymore. i have no use for 2 rails or even more. thanks for the tip though.

Grind it off. I have no problem with that side rail living rent free on my rifle or in my toolbox.