Hogue Pistol Grip Problems........!

Purchased a new Hogue Monogrip for my Saiga in the middle of my conversion. Screwed the trigger guard in place, and then installed the Monogrip. When I was done. I had noticed the the grip was not firmly in place; it was very wobbly, and quite loose. I am using the screw that came with the Monogrip, and a Tapco pistol grip nut. I will be using an internal adapter for a folding grip, but doubt that will make a difference in the fit of the grip. Can someone PLEASE help me with this very annoying problem !!! Thanks.

B-T

Edited by Broken-Tengu

Purchased a new Hogue Monogrip for my Saiga in the middle of my conversion. Screwed the trigger guard in place, and then installed the Monogrip. When I was done. I had noticed the the grip was not firmly in place; it was very wobbly, and quite loose. I am using the screw that came with the Monogrip, and a Tapco pistol grip nut. I will be using an internal adapter for a folding grip, but doubt that will make a difference in the fit of the grip. Can someone PLEASE help me with this very annoying problem !!! Thanks.

B-T

Couple of things to try:

Take the grip off and install just the screw (with the nut in the gun). Can you turn the screw all the way in?

Take the nut out and slide it into the grip. See how it rests in there and make sure it does not touch a shoulder too soon.

jrmock

B-T

I had the same problem as you - I was using the tapco pg nut. I switched out the pg nut for another one that I had (it was from k-var) and the grip fit perfectly. I am pretty certain the tapco pg nut is not mil-spec, the k-var pg nut is and works like a charm. If you don't have a separate pg nut, I suggest either grinding a bit off the nut or filing a little off the hogue grip, either way it should work. The tapco nut is a little too big. If you search around the forum you'll see others with the same problem.

just did two houge grips on my 2. 223's. used porta ban cut back to the T in topco on the pg nut works great nice and tight. a hack saw would work also. porta ban just quick and easy.

Edited by TacSat

Just got finished filing the Pistol Grip nut down about 1/8' , and that baby is ON ! Followed Jrmock and Mattra's advise, and it worked wonders (Big "up's " , fellas) ! But why is it that with some of Tapco's products, some mod needs to be done ??? May have to do some mods to my Tapco fire control group to get that inside my Saiga . Forgive my "Noob-nes" , but is it that Tapco's products aren't Mil-spec ? Hmmmm........

Just got finished filing the Pistol Grip nut down about 1/8' , and that baby is ON ! Followed Jrmock and Mattra's advise, and it worked wonders (Big "up's " , fellas) ! But why is it that with some of Tapco's products, some mod needs to be done ??? May have to do some mods to my Tapco fire control group to get that inside my Saiga . Forgive my "Noob-nes" , but is it that Tapco's products aren't Mil-spec ? Hmmmm........

Tapco is not very professional grade but I guess its about how many corners can be cut and still convince the unknowing buyers to purchase at an acceptable price point.

Edited by my762buzz

glad it worked out for you.i have tapco magazines,pistol grip nut,stock,grip,forward trigger control group(which understandably had to be filed for the bolt hold open),and muzzle brake on my 7.62&39.no problems with any of their products!they also make the factory magazine that comes with my masterpiece arms,inc. 9mm 35 round magazine.i find their products to be right on!sorry here hear other`s with issue`s.you should call tapco if so;they have lifetime warranties on all their stuff.

Tapco is not very professional grade but I guess its about how many corners can be cut and still convince the unknowing buyers to purchase at an acceptable price point.

That is basically it.

I have often heard(and been guilty myself :angel: ) of refering to Tapco as Crapco. But they are affordable and have great customer service. In my experience there are some items tapco needs to spend some extra time on tweeking. But I like their butt stocks, FCGs and mags. They get the job done at an affordable price.

How to fix has been addressed. Any supplier of parts catches crap at times, mostly from those who do not know the wide variation of AKs and their specifications. On the conversion, there can be a lot of variables. Heck, even Colt retractable AR stocks were crap in the late 80's when they first switched to plastic. Tapco does replace or refund if problem is found. Even if it is user caused. :smoke:

You could also try something that I do as a standard modification on the AK's I build or own. Take a large "Fender" washer that you can get at most any hardware store and flatten the sides so it will slip down inside the receiver. This will make a reenforcement of the sheet metal receiver and allow the grip to fit ,much tighter. It will cure the wobbly grip problem that is common to AKs.

• Like 1