Csspecs 8rd mag test

My S20 is a 2000 EAA import which I bought used and converted a few months ago. It's had at least 200 low brass and 100 high brass put through it. The only FTEs it has is when the shell ejects up instead of right and falls back into the action and stovepipes. This occurs approximately once every 75 rounds.

First off, the mag looks great. It's much lighter than I expected it to be but doesn't feel flimsy. When I initially got the mag I had to file down the rear mag catch a bit in order to get it to lock in. Just like fitting a MD20, a little filing makes for a very secure lock in. 5 minutes with a Dremel and it has a very solid lock up. The side to side wobble is minimal and was taken to zero with 7 pieces of printer paper(csspecs wanted that for his measurement). I prefer a mag to have a little side to side leeway though and I think this is a great fit for loading on a closed bolt and getting a little side to side movent so as to not make the rock and lock so precise.

When I was loading and hand cycling the mag in the weapon for 80 rounds, rounds 6-8 (the last three put in the mag) would sometimes not want to rise or push down when loading additional rounds. If only loaded to 5 there was no issue. This eventually worked itself out and while shooting and loading today it only occured once during the loading process.

Looking at an empty mag it looks like the follower is rocking forward and backwards and I'm thinking this was causing the rounds to stay bottomed out in the mag. Adding approximately 1/16 of an inch in front to back length may solve this minute problem. I'm guessing a little break in was needed for the spring and mag body which occured during the hand cycling.

There were NO misfeeds, FTEs or FTFs in the 88 rounds I put through it today.

All rounds fired at the range today were 2 3/4 in #7 birdshot. The brands were Rio, Remington and Federal. All loaded great from round 1 to round 8. I slow fired (waiting approximately 3 seconds between shots), controlled pairs and 8 round mag dumps of each brand and all functioned great.

The only other issue, and it isn't really a problem but more of an observation, is that the floorplate moves forward half an inch or so while just barely pushing/sliding it. I want to emphasize that this doesn't happen while firing nor does it have any negative effects on the mag, it's just and observation.

All in all these are FANTASTIC! It's nice to finally have an option other than factory mags.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Eric

Sorry for bad cell phone pics

Here's the mag

photo6.jpg

Here's the mag in my S20

photo1.jpg

Here's the gap at the bottom of the mag with the floorplate slid forward while the mag is still assembled

photo2.jpg

Underside of the rear mag catch. Like I said, didn't take much off, just had to make a bit of a flat spot for my mag catch to lock in.

photo3.jpg

Top of the rear mag catch. Again, not much taken off besides the paint, but I ended up having to take a little off the top for a secure lock in.

photo4.jpg

I know it's shitty, but here's a side angle shot of the mag catch after the Dremel work. You can kind of make out the change in angle on the bottom of the mag catch (mentaly flip the picture and it would be "right side up" as if loading). When I received it the lower portion was a straight line, I had to put a minute bevel in it.

photo5.jpg

Edited by towerofpower93

There were NO misdeeds ...

That's AWESOME, the range is a bad place for misdeeds :)

You've reminded me that I didn't get a measure of the side gaps, I'll look to add my observation as soon as I can.

The S20 that I had originally was a 2000 import as well .... it was reliable enough for me to consider it for home defense ... tho I have other calibers that I prefer. I'll have to see if I can find another one of that vintage!

Got back from the range and put another 50 of the Remington, Wal Mart bulk pack rounds through the mag without a hitch.

Also, in the initial test I stated that Winchester shells were used, that's incorrect. The three brands used were Rio, Remington and Federal, not Winchester.

Eric

Edited by towerofpower93

Ok cool.

The floorplates we kind of ran out of time for. I'd guess what is happening is the retainer plate (part that has the round button welded to it), is sliding out. You could probably bend the tracks on the mag upward to tighten the floorplate a little. Then crimp the floorplate on for good measure.

They are prototypes. The focus was mostly on feed angle, and lock up. I'm doing some work getting things ready for a production run, jigs and clamping fixtures take forever to build. I'll send you all another sample prior to production for testing (its going to be another month at least).

Ok cool.

The floorplates we kind of ran out of time for. I'd guess what is happening is the retainer plate (part that has the round button welded to it), is sliding out. You could probably bend the tracks on the mag upward to tighten the floorplate a little. Then crimp the floorplate on for good measure.

They are prototypes. The focus was mostly on feed angle, and lock up. I'm doing some work getting things ready for a production run, jigs and clamping fixtures take forever to build. I'll send you all another sample prior to production for testing (its going to be another month at least).

The button isn't coming all of the way out, just giving a

little. I may try squeezing the floorplate lips tighter to see if it helps. I also remeasured the side to side movement and it takes 4, not 7, sheets of copier paper to get no side to side. As I said though, the lock up is good at it's current measurements.

You made a great product man.

Eric