Purchased new Saiga 7.62 x 39

I purchased my new Saiga 7.62 x 39 rifle, and I couldn't be happier. I bought this rifle with the intent of converting it to look more like its military counterpart. I've watched a few videos and read a few articles on how the conversion works, but what I really want to know what parts I will need before I begin the conversion, i.e. new trigger, replacement trigger guard with mag release, stocks and hand guards and so on. Got all the tools, so I'm just waiting on any ideas for replacement parts (if any are needed) and for any tips on what I should look out for when I begin. Thanks in advance for your help!

Click here for a good worksheet to follow to be sure that you are 922r compliant. Uncheck the items that you purchase and the count at the bottom will count down until it reads 'Legal'

Note: you have to replace the imported items with US made items to be compliant.

It all really depends on what you want to do with your rifle, to be honest. I'll give you a basic list:

1.) Tapco G2 fire control group (3 compliance parts)

2.) Pistol grip nut

3.) Pistol grip (1 compliance part)

4.) Buttstock (1 compliance part)

5.) Forearm (1 compliance part)

You can salvage the stock trigger guard to use after your conversion if you are careful. Just dremel the rivets off and pop off the trigger guard.

This list will give you 922r compliance and is the quickest and easiest way to achieve compliance. You can look through the list of vendors on this site; most of them sell these parts. Personally, I'd recommend Carolina Shooters Supply for their amazingly fast delivery and excellent customer service.

Good luck!

Edited by TR Young

Carolinia Shooters Suppy has conversion packages they have put together of the required parts for a conversation/restoration, their prices are better than most and their shipping is ALWAYS lightning fast...I have bought from CSS many times and am always astounded by how quickly I receive my order. Plus by including the code CSS at checkout you receive a 5% discount..

I give CSS my highest recommendation.

I was taking a look on their website, they really have some great deals on those kits, better than what I've seen on other sites. But in terms of the stock, pistol grip, and the hand guard, I'm looking for the traditional wood parts. I will however, order replacement parts for the trigger and such from there. Thanks for that!

*EDIT* Disregard the looking for wood parts, I found them on the website =P Really liking the black laminate.

Edited by VaiFanatic90

I do have another question, which parts should I replacing with US parts to make it compliant? Also, which parts on the rifle are already compliant? Since I've found my pistol grip, buttstock, and handguard, I've deselected those three (since according to the CSS website, it counts as 3), but I'm still at 13. I know when I bought the rifle it was within the 922r compliance, so which other parts are US made that are already on it?

I do have another question, which parts should I replacing with US parts to make it compliant? Also, which parts on the rifle are already compliant? Since I've found my pistol grip, buttstock, and handguard, I've deselected those three (since according to the CSS website, it counts as 3), but I'm still at 13. I know when I bought the rifle it was within the 922r compliance, so which other parts are US made that are already on it?

I listed that for you in my first reply in this thread. Your rifle is within 922r compliance when you purchase it because there have been no modifications done, i.e.- it meets import regulations. If you want to add a pistol grip or a high capacity magazine, then you have to start removing the Russian parts and replacing them with American parts.

Edited by TR Young

The pistol grip I'm adding however is US made, according to the CSS website anyway, so do I still have to remove Russian parts? Which parts are most commonly replaced?

If you add a pistol grip, you have to make the gun 922r compliant by replacing 5 other components with US-made components. As I listed, the fire control group (which counts as 3 compliant parts), the stock (1 compliant part), and the forearm (1 compliant part) are the most commonly replaced parts.

Oh, okay, that makes it much more clear now. Thank you so much. I'm looking at trigger groups now, which is recommended? Should I do single hook or double hook? Or would I instead be looking at the Tromix Fire Control Group for $45? Should I be looking to replace my piston as well?

Single hook, Tapco G2 fire control group. You can replace the piston if you like. Again, my first post in this thread pretty much answers all your questions.

Edited by TR Young

Single hook trigger group. If you get the Tromix it will drop straight in, if you buy a standard Tapco G2 you'll have to do some minor filing to make room for the bolt hold open.

Only replace the piston if you need to, for your 922r

I've installed 3 Tapco G2s that I've bought from CSS and I haven't had to file them at all.... are they doing something different lately? The last one I put in was a week ago.

Edited by TR Young

Well, they're selling multiple sets, as well as the double hook and single hook. I was just wondering which I should go with to get the job done? Also, which is better, the axis pin plate or the pin?

Single hook trigger group. If you get the Tromix it will drop straight in, if you buy a standard Tapco G2 you'll have to do some minor filing to make room for the bolt hold open.

Only replace the piston if you need to, for your 922r

Hey Joe, thanks, didn't actually see your post for a while. I'll keep the piston replacing in mind. I think with everything that I'm already replacing, I should remain 922r compliant. Following yours and TR's advice, I'm going for the Tromix.

I am currently converting mine to a traditional wood stock AK.

First, for the wood finishing, you probably want ironwood. For the actual finishing methods, do a search on these forums for sulphurman's posts. I'm currently finishing my wood stock per his instructions. It's looking good so far. All I will say about his finishing technique is, don't let the minwax walnut finish soak in for more than a minute or so. Five minutes is almost too long.

Second, you'll need to replace the gas tube and get a lower handguard retainer, at the bare minimum. I got both of mine at carolina shooter's supply. There is one catch though, which may or may not bother you.

The new gas tube and bolt-on handguard retainer will allow you to mount wood furniture. However, it will now allow you to mount the cleaning rod underneath the barrel. This may or may not be a big deal to you, depending on how authentic you want to be.

Look at http://classicarms.us/, type CTRL-F and type in "polish". They show a Polish AK with and without the cleaning rod. I agree with them that a traditional wood-stock AK looks slightly "off" without the cleaning rod. The trouble is, mounting it properly will require an AKM front sight as well as a new AKM gas block--both of which cost money for parts and labor.

If you go this route, go ahead and get a press-on (as opposed to bolt-on) lower handguard retainer, since the FSB and gas block will be removed/replaced anyhow, and a press-on retainer is superior to bolt-on.

That's the one I have. It has a hole in the bottom, but the cleaning rod isn't held in place by that hole, it's much too big.

On a traditional AK, the cleaning rod is held in place by two things: the underside of the front sight block, and the underside of the gas block. The stock Saiga FSB and gas block are blank, and thus don't have any attachment points for a cleaning rod...even thought the gun comes with a cleaning rod.