New RAAC Saiga 7.62 x 39 questions

Hello all,

I'm new posting but have been doing alot of reading and appreaciate all the great info!!

I just purchased a new Saiga 7.62 x 39 made by RAAC from a local gun store. According to the Calguns website, this gun is not on any list as far as being outlawed or listed as an assualt rifle. I live in California and so I want to make sure I'm legit and reduce the likelihood of being hassled by ATF or someone else. I've read so many posts and forums that I'm crosseyed! Many of the discussions are several years old and may be outdated due to new restrictions so......here are my questions....Any help would be much appreciated!!

1. If I do nothing to rifle is it 922r compliant and otherwise completely legal in CA and other states?

2. How many "foreign" parts does the rifle has as is? (I read about it needing to have 10 or few foreign parts)

3. Which parts are foreign and which are U.S. made?

4. What accessories, if any, can I add to the rifle and still be legal?

5. Is it illegal just to own magazines larger than 10 rounds or only illegal if they are in the gun?

6. Are there magazines larger than 10 rounds that are desigined specifically for this rifle. (I don't want to make mods or add a guide or dremel anything) (I know they aren't sold in CA.)

7. Where is a good place to buy accessories, clips, etc that are made specifically for the Saiga 7.62x39?

8. What is the best ammo deal out there? Any brand work better than another? Buy the cheapest?

9. Can I transport the gun across state line? (For example into Nevada, Arizone or Oregon for a camping trip?

10. Any specific do's or don't for a Saiga newb?

Thanks everyone for your input! Greatly appreciated. Can't wait for my 10 day wait to expire!! 8 more days!

Welcome to the forum. Please check the 922r compliance section of the forum to answer some of your questions, and look at the forum sponsors whose banners are on the forum's homepage to find accessories.

Yea,

I've been reading a lot of the 922r stuff. What I don't get is if the Saiga 7.62 RAAC comes legal or if it needs mods to be legal. I bought it from a gun dealer (store) so I would assume they are not selling illegal weapons. It looks 922r only comes into play if I begin converting the saiga to an AK? Anyone?

Yea,

I've been reading a lot of the 922r stuff. What I don't get is if the Saiga 7.62 RAAC comes legal or if it needs mods to be legal. I bought it from a gun dealer (store) so I would assume they are not selling illegal weapons. It looks 922r only comes into play if I begin converting the saiga to an AK? Anyone?

It is legal out of the box. If you just slap a hi-cap mag in it, it's no longer legal.

Saiga rifles have 14 foreign countable parts. You can find plenty of vendors from these forums that sell accessories for your rifle, to convert, or not. You will also find plenty discussion around these forums for ammo deals.

Have you been browsing around? and do you have any questions you have not had found from browsing?

Saiga rifles have 14 foreign countable parts. You can find plenty of vendors from these forums that sell accessories for your rifle, to convert, or not. You will also find plenty discussion around these forums for ammo deals.

Have you been browsing around? and do you have any questions you have not had found from browsing?

Yes, what does it mean convert it? To an AK? I live in Cali so there's not a whole lot of converting I can do.

To convert it(better known as restoring it to original AK config) is to basically remove the monte carlo(factory stock). Remove the factory trigger group, move that forward to the original spot(where it should be). Add a pistol grip and new stock. In a nuttshell, there is a tad bit more to it. It would be best to watch this link Saiga rifle conversion. Or do some more searchign around the tech section.

You are in California so you will need to check up on Kali laws, but I think all you need to add is the mag lock.(you will require some kind of key to remove the mags because we all know that saves furry little animals and kids from getting hurt when the gun jumps up grows legs and goes crazy).

On a Saiga rifle you have 14 countable parts(depending if you have a muzzle device), to be 922r compliant you need to make sure you remove at least 4 foreign and add at least 4 US parts during the conversion.

Hope I didnt mix any of that up. GL!

Edited by Chevyman097

To convert it(better known as restoring it to original AK config) is to basically remove the monte carlo(factory stock). Remove the factory trigger group, move that forward to the original spot(where it should be). Add a pistol grip and new stock. In a nuttshell, there is a tad bit more to it. It would be best to watch this link Saiga rifle conversion. Or do some more searchign around the tech section.

You are in California so you will need to check up on Kali laws, but I think all you need to add is the mag lock.(you will require some kind of key to remove the mags because we all know that saves furry little animals and kids from getting hurt when the gun jumps up grows legs and goes crazy).

On a Saiga rifle you have 14 countable parts(depending if you have a muzzle device), to be 922r compliant you need to make sure you remove at least 4 foreign and add at least 4 US parts during the conversion.

Hope I didnt mix any of that up. GL!

Awesome thanks. Anyone know the law on the magazines in Cal? I know that I can't have a mag capable of holding more than 10 rounds in the gun but is it illegal to just own the mags? They don't sell them here in Cali bigger than 10 rounds.

If you own a 7.62x39 rifle you can legally buy SURPLUS mags.. They will be shipped to you as a 'rebuild kit'.

The other option is to find/buy newer style mags that have 30 round bodies but have been modified to only accept 10 rounds per Cali law.

You will need to install a RaddLock or some kinda mag 'lock' device to add a pistol grip and 'convert/restore' your rifle back to proper AK like configuration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California

Here is a link to my personal 5.45x39 Saiga Conversion from Feb 2010..

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=50927

Didn't take long to do about an hour and a half (time may vary for you).

Hope this helps abit.

BTW, we sell complete 'kits' and mags also.. (to Cali also) :-)

http://www.accessory...iewCat&catId=10

Sincerely,

Albert

Awesome thanks. Anyone know the law on the magazines in Cal? I know that I can't have a mag capable of holding more than 10 rounds in the gun but is it illegal to just own the mags? They don't sell them here in Cali bigger than 10 rounds.

I live in Cali and have a converted Saiga.

In stock form, it is legal here

In stock form you can use mags larger than 10 rounds if you owned them pre-ban, which it doesn't sound like you do.

Convert to comply with Fed law 922r. Plenty of info on that around here.

In Cali one extra step is needed IF you convert, and that is a mag lock so that your mag is only removable with the use of a tool.

Calguns has a great flowchart on california compliance for evil black rifles, it's pretty straight forward. Print it and carry it in your range bag, and put another copy in your files.

• Like 1