Reloading for the Saiga-12

3 members have voted

1. 1. Did you find this thread helpful?

• Yes. Helpful
    • No, Useless

I thought it was about time we started sharing our reloading data for our favorite AK, the Saiga12.

Post your favorite loads ( with sources) that you have tested in your SAIGA-12.

Mine:

Win AA hull or Rem Premier hull.

Win 209 Primer

16.0 gr Red Dot

WAA12 wad

1 1/8oz 7 1/2 shot

Source:Alliant manual.

VERY light load. A real pussycat, but great for skeet/clays. Fairly quiet. Cycles my 20" Tromix w/GUNFIXR gas plug (I forget the setting)

• 1 month later...

These are a few good loads. Good as in they are fast and have enough pressure to cycle the action 100% in my gun. The last two AA loads hasn't been fired by me (yet) only had ballistics done for safety first.

Remington Field Grade 1 Buck pellets (12) weighs 426 grains.

FPS / PSI

STS HULL LOADS

STS

800X-23.46 grains

W209

Fig8

12P-1B

1258/6400

GF#2 ejected 5' reliably with mag. GF#3 ejected 6' with MD-20

STS

WSF-26.68 grains

R209P

WAA12

12P-1B

1297/5300

Using magazine, GF#2 ejected shells 5'

STS (primer substitution)

WSF-28.45 grains

R209P

WAA12

12P-1B

1414/7600

STS (primer substitution)

WSF-28.45 grains

W209

WAA12

12P-1B

1380/6833

AA HULL LOADS

AA (wad substitution)

800X-26.1 grains

W209

WAA12

12P-1B

1345/7350

Using magazine/MD20 drum, Shoulder cycled on GF#1 and cycled off shoulder on GF#2

AA (wad substitution)

800X-26.1 grains

W209

WAA12F114

12P-1B

1349/7100

Using magazine/MD20 drum, Shoulder cycled on GF#1 and cycled off shoulder on GF#2

AA (primer substitution)

WSF-28.45 grains

W209

WAA12

12P-1B

1380/7000

AA (primer substitution)

WSF-28.45 grains

R209P

WAA12

12P-1B

1352/5933

• 5 weeks later...

Favorite load so far is the No. 1 Buckshot recipie from the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook (5th Edition) using the 2-3/4 Winchester AA/HS hull.

Unable to post the load recipie due to copyright restrictions, but I have also used their 00 Buckshot load and like it. Both of these recipies do not require buffer, cards, wraps or anything special outside of normal components. Highly recommend the recipies from the Lyman 5th Edition.

Edited by Poniolo
  • 1 month later...

i worked up a load yesterday based on some data that indy posted earlier.

here it is

hull. federal high brass (from 00 buck shot)

primer. federal 209

wad. win aa12

powder. 33. grains of longshot.

shot. 12 pellets of 00 buck

had to set my v plug at 2. cycled great, i worked the load up from about 30 grains of powder. this load is still under the max powder range (.35 grains) but i feel it gives me enough play room for my powder bushing.

Edited by psl sniper

on setting 1 it would stove pipe, the shot weight is about 1 1/4 or so, didnt actully weight it (oh no) :cryss:

thats why i started lower on the powder and worked my way up. its enough pellets to let my crimp die work properly (any less and it bends in any more and it bends out) ive already shot around 50 or so and its a very nice load. recoil is about the same as factory buck. for my buck shot loads ill use either 12 00 buck stacked in rows of 3, or ill use my #1 buck stacked in rows of 3

with a #4 buck as a spacer, both ways work about the same. i mixed them all together and neither i nor the saiga can tell the difference.

i loaded up 5 buck and ball rnds this morning. using the same combo as the buck.

the load consists of a single .68 cal round ball in the base of the shot cup over that are 4 #1 buck shot pellets over that are 6 #4 buck shot pellets (again to get the crimp to roll properly)

shot all 5 this morning. results where very impressive. imagine

the pattern being one large hole in the center with 10 small hole making a halo around the center. the large ball in the base acts as a spreader as its traveling to the target. shot where at 20' with spread being about 10" in a very nice circle.

i will definantly be making more of these.

i dont know how i got by without my press.

Edited by psl sniper

One thing you may want to consider is BUFFER...

If you need to bump up the payload weight without changing volume, you can always add a small amount of buffer media to the load. This will fill in all the empty space between the pellets, and give you a more uniform shot pattern, as things cant deform, or move around quite as much when the round goes off...

Some things to keep in mind... Buffer needs to be distributed EVENLY among the pellets... you can use a vibratory device to do this... like a beard trimmer... or your Gf's "toy" Imagine the look on her face when you ask for "bob" cause you need to reload buckshot?!?! :lol: ROFL!!! Pour the buffer media on the top of the pellets, vibrate, and then when you can JUST START to see the top of the pellets STOP and crimp!

Just be careful you do not vibrate TOO MUCH, or all the buffer will be on the bottom of the shot, and almost none will be in the middle or the top...

Buffer CAN help to produce better buckshot patterns... just be careful not to change the load weight too much, or you will have pressure issues. :up:

Just a thought.

:smoke:

One thing you may want to consider is BUFFER...

If you need to bump up the payload weight without changing volume, you can always add a small amount of buffer media to the load. This will fill in all the empty space between the pellets, and give you a more uniform shot pattern, as things cant deform, or move around quite as much when the round goes off...

Some things to keep in mind... Buffer needs to be distributed EVENLY among the pellets... you can use a vibratory device to do this... like a beard trimmer... or your Gf's "toy" Imagine the look on her face when you ask for "bob" cause you need to reload buckshot?!?! :lol: ROFL!!! Pour the buffer media on the top of the pellets, vibrate, and then when you can JUST START to see the top of the pellets STOP and crimp!

Just be careful you do not vibrate TOO MUCH, or all the buffer will be on the bottom of the shot, and almost none will be in the middle or the top...

Buffer CAN help to produce better buckshot patterns... just be careful not to change the load weight too much, or you will have pressure issues. :up:

Just a thought.

:smoke:

nice :lolol: . i was avoiding buffer because i read that it increases the pressure of the load. i was mistaken on the shot size its actually 0 buck (.32 vs .33) i won a bid off gb and the cloth bag was mismarked as #4 it was actually the 0 buck (got it for a steal so i dont care). the pellets i cast are #1. the total shot weight for the loads would be around 588 grns (1oz is 437 grains) im actually getting very tight patterns as i leave the petals on the wad cups (aa12) 3 0 buck pellets fit in a nice tight circle. i also cast my shot with about 6-7% tin vs the traditional 2-3%. ive actually recovered a few of the shot pellets from a fence post, a night in the tumbler and they where relaoded again.

:super: