There are still a few patriotic Americans left out there.

I just hope they are not ALL in Iraq.

When the Music Stopped...

(For those who are unaware: At all military base theaters, the National Anthem is played before the movie begins.)

This is written from a Chaplain in Iraq :

I recently attended a showing of 'Superman 3' here at LSA Anaconda. We have a large auditorium we use for movies, as well as memorial services and other large gatherings. As is the custom at all military bases, we stood to attention when the National Anthem began before the main feature. All was going well until three-quarters of the way through The National Anthem, the music stopped.

Now, what would happen if this occurred with 1,000 18-22 year-olds back in the States? I imagine there would be hoots, catcalls, laughter, a few rude comments, and everyone would sit down and yell for the movie to begin. Of course, that is, if they had stood for the National Anthem in the first place.

Here in Iraq , 1,000 Soldiers continued to stand at attention, eyes fixed forward. The music started again and the Soldiers continued to quietly stand at attention. But again, at the same point, the music stopped. What would you expect 1000

Soldiers standing at attention to do?? Frankly, I expected some laughter, and everyone would eventually sit down and wait for the movie to start.

But No!!... You could have heard a pin drop, while every Soldier continued to stand at attention.

Suddenly,there was a lone voice from the front of the auditorium, then a dozen voices, and soon the room was filled with the voices of a thousand soldiers, finishing where the recording left off: "And the rockets' red glare, the bombs

bursting in air, gave proof through the night that our flag was still there Oh, say does that Star Spangled Banner yet

wave, o'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave."

It was the most inspiring moment I have had in Iraq and I wanted you to know what kind of Soldiers are serving you.

Remember them as they fight for us! Pass this along as a reminder to others to be ever in prayer for all our soldiers serving us here at home and abroad. Many have already paid the ultimate price.

Written by Chaplain Jim Higgins. LSA Anaconda is at the Ballad Airport in Iraq , north of Baghdad.

God Bless America and all of our troops serving through out the world.

• Like 3

I'm always disgusted with the number of people who have forgotten how to behave when our national anthem is played (specifically before sports events). People still sitting (healthy people that could be standing), hats still on, no salute/hand over heart, talking, etc. People have forgotten how many have fought and died and *why* we play the national anthem and *what* it truly means.

• Like 2

Hope is not totally lost. There are still some of us that are not only Vets but also been patriots long before our service. We have also been teaching our kids you are growing up to be really patriots. That is also one of the reasons I posted this http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=55726 It was to let everyone know that there is a light out at the end of the tunnel, it may be dim but there is still a light and there are some great, and patriotic young people out there. The rest of those scum that don't appreciate what many men and women have fought and died for can all go to H3!! for all I care.......Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now.

• Like 2

I'm always disgusted with the number of people who have forgotten how to behave when our national anthem is played (specifically before sports events). People still sitting (healthy people that could be standing), hats still on, no salute/hand over heart, talking, etc. People have forgotten how many have fought and died and *why* we play the national anthem and *what* it truly means.

Me too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwog6E08CFU

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 2

Hello

Anybody who is disappointed with the lack of somberness and patriotism for the National Anthem at sporting events is not a NASCAR fan! You can say what you may about the sport, but when they anounce the Color Guard, the Chaplain and the Prayer (yes, you read that correctly, complete with references to "God", Christ", and "Our Lord and Saviour") and then the National Anthem is played....

Well, every damn seat in the place is empty, 'cause everybody is standing up, and there is not a hat on a head! Quiet and somber as 100,00 plus people can be, until they get to the part about "Does that flag still wave..." and the crowd goes wild.....

Gives me goosebumps every week, it does.

Almost like walking down Pennsylvania Ave. reciting the Pledge of Allegiance with a few hundred thousand like-minded folks on 9/11/09.

There is hope.

-guido

• Like 3

Hello

Anybody who is disappointed with the lack of somberness and patriotism for the National Anthem at sporting events is not a NASCAR fan! You can say what you may about the sport, but when they anounce the Color Guard, the Chaplain and the Prayer (yes, you read that correctly, complete with references to "God", Christ", and "Our Lord and Saviour") and then the National Anthem is played....

Well, every damn seat in the place is empty, 'cause everybody is standing up, and there is not a hat on a head! Quiet and somber as 100,00 plus people can be, until they get to the part about "Does that flag still wave..." and the crowd goes wild.....

Gives me goosebumps every week, it does.

Almost like walking down Pennsylvania Ave. reciting the Pledge of Allegiance with a few hundred thousand like-minded folks on 9/11/09.

There is hope.

-guido

Yep you can say what you like about us rednecks, but when in comes to patriotism it doesn't run any deeper!!!!

• Like 2

Went to a graduation a while back and was shocked at a few students who didn't show respect to the country that had just provided them the education they had just completed.. Very very angry.

And don't get me started on our commander in chief.. Can't believe that prick.

edit: and plus 1 on nascar.. Even those who are drunk out of their mind hold it together long enough to pay respect.

Edited by volkov
  • Like 1

2 years ago when I was at my swearing in ceremony for my citizenship (btw it was on July 4th. There is one every few months but my landed on July 4th) there must have been at least a 1000 people there. First you stand up when they call out your country than everyone stands as the National Anthem is played. As we stood there I kind glanced around and noticed one young kid (early twenties) just sitting there. Now maybe he had a legit excuse but he didn't seem like a cripple and I didn't see any crutches or a wheelchair. He just looked like he was there because he had to show up to receive his citizenship not because he wanted to.

• Like 1