A strange question about firearm safety...

We all know the basic rules of firearm safety. Exactly how many there are and how they are grouped together, and what order they are in, varies depending on who you ask, but the basics are always the same. Always treat the gun as if it is loaded, keep your finger off the trigger, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, don't rely on the mechanical safety, always confirm its unloaded (or loaded) state when you take it in hand, and know the area between you and the target, around the target, and beyond the target.

My question is, when did all of this become common practice? Last night I was watching a US Army training video from 1966 about the XM16E1 (TF-9-3663). The trigger finger discipline shown therein was not entirely confidence-inspiring. It has gotten me curious as to what safety protocols (if any) were taught to US soldiers, and in general among the civilian population and in other countries, fifty, seventy-five, one hundred years ago and beyond.

--Kate

Its odd that you say this to me. Maybe its the youth showing, and maybe a bit of glorification for the previous generation...

But I would expect firearm safety to have been better instilled in years past, when schools often had marksmanship teams, Or maybe after a huge influx of hardened veterans from 2 world wars...

Truely widespread weapon safety would be a characteristic of a martial society, and we have been drifting away from that, not towards IMHO.

I'll have to admit I'm not a big fan of the practice of keeping your finger totally "OFF" the trigger until ready to shoot when I am investigating noises in the night or such things like that. Merely carrying a loaded weapon in a situation where there is no potential threat is different, then I keep it on the trigger guard. I know why that practice exists and it's all well and good for whoever wants or needs to use it. I have adopted a slightly different method of trigger awareness that lets me feel the trigger but would not result in a ND due to a mere sudden reflex. I feel the trigger with my index finger but I am putting slight lateral pressure on the side of it. I'm not recommending this for anyone else because all I know is it works well FOR ME and I have confidence in it FOR ME.

Actually, these basics can go back to the rise of archery used for hunting as well as warfare. Esp. when you start to bring crossbows into the mix. Trust me, NO ONE likes being hit in the back of the head by an accidently discharged crossbow bolt(thankfully just a tennisball mounted on a golfclub tube shaft,lol). But the same applies.

Nailbomb, I'd tend to agree with you but the old days are not always better days. My dad was an old farm boy, but he is NOT where I learned real gun safety. I got that in the Army in the Mid 80's. By then at least, they were pushing the Finger OFF the trigger till you're ready to fire. Before that, I don't know, but my dad may have learned his from my stepGrandfather who was a Marine during WWII. Or not.

Nailbomb, I'd tend to agree with you but the old days are not always better days. My dad was an old farm boy, but he is NOT where I learned real gun safety. I got that in the Army in the Mid 80's. By then at least, they were pushing the Finger OFF the trigger till you're ready to fire. Before that, I don't know, but my dad may have learned his from my stepGrandfather who was a Marine during WWII. Or not.

See I had gun safety hammered in my head nearly from the time I could walk. My fathers first gun quickly became mine as a child(single shot .410) and a few years later a semi .22LR. Its always been a part of my life, and after joining the marines I was quite suprised the same thing he beat into my skull were the same things he had taught me all those years(with slightly different wording). He did however serve in the 82nd airborn(late 70s?) the scource of the information might be similar.

For some strange reason, they didn't like letting me play with them, same with the C-4 after the incident.

I probably shouldn't ask, but exactly what sort of "incident" are we talking about? :eek:

Good to see you, Kate.

In the USMC infantry in the 70's, the rule was "don't shoot your buddy in the back".

Finger discipline (and even muzzle discipline) as it is known today was unheard of.

A notable exception is on the rifle range, where every step is carefully prescribed.