This my first post on this forum. I'm new to the Saiga 12. I don't have one yet but will be buying soon. I know there is a lot of knowledge here so here's a question.

I heard the the latest verson of the Saiga 12 will function with lighter loads. True? If true, is there a way to tell when you are looking at the latest version?

Thanks all!

Lock and Load! 022.gif

Thanks to all who replied. I knew folks here would know. BTW, what "Conversion" is being done? Also, anyone know anything about this version? Saiga Taktika mod 040.

Lock ank Load! :killer:

The term 'conversion' is better described as 'restoration'. To import the Saigas, certain (ignorant) things have to be done to them, such as installing a 'Monte Carlo' sporter stock, and because of this, the original location of the fire control group (FCG) must be moved 2" toward the rear of the receiver so that the shooter can reach it because of the stock. There is a plate added to the receiver to cover the original FCG mounting holes. To restore the gun, the end user (or someone) must remove this plate and move the FCG forward to its intended position and a pistol grip must be added. Also, a new stock is added so that the distance from the butt to the FCG is correct. This is how the firearm was intended to be used, and its balance is much better in the original configuration.

Having said all of this, when you do the restoration, you have to be within 922r compliance. See the section entitled as such on the forum.

Hope this answered your question! :smoke:

Edited by TR Young

Big Iron,

My 2001 with a 22 inch barrel eats everything and did so from jump street.

You will be happy....correction, ADDICTED once you open the box and slam a few rounds downrange!

Edited by Etek

Welcome to the forum, (and the addiction), Big Iron! :chris:

To the subject of your first post: I think it's a non-issue. If you buy a Saiga-12 and it won't cycle Federal low-brass birdshot reliably, you can send it to Tom Cole at CGW, (a pleasure to deal with), for free warranty work.

/thread