Ammo Prices for 308.. ?? Any suggestions..??

Oh boy... Tula .308 Win FMJ 150grn 20rd Box closeout at Aim Surplus. 500rd case (25 boxes): $119.75 + 20.06 shipping = 28 cents per round!

Ordered mine.

P.S. Just saw your note about back order. My order just says 'processing'.

We'll see.

If they honor the price, that's an awesome deal for genuine military grade AK308 ammo.

Edited by TxMark

Even if it takes a week I'm not crying.. I have about 300 rounds sitting here..

That price is LOW !!!... in a GREAT way.. :killer:

The next would be J&G for $150 for 500 Wolf.. and then $hipping..

If J&G did FREE shipping we'd be all set on 2 dealers..

Al

No kidding. Maybe we're looking at a coming bull market for bullets. :)

BTW... I decided on the right target for the 300 yard cartridge comparison coming up in around two or three weeks.

I guess I will throw in the Black Hills 175gr match even though I really think the pressure curve is way off for a short barrel gas operated rifle.

Can't wait.

IBS300.jpg

Just ordered 1K rounds of the Tula @ AIM.

Momma is going to have my ass... But she'll find it tough and stringy. :rolleyes:

My understanding is they always honor the listed price when ordered, so $0.27 (0.26659) per round is damned good!

We'll see how it does in my s.308-ver.21, but, I'm sure it'll be more than satisfactory for my intended SHTF stock.

I don't think you can go wrong. correct me if I'm off base, but I believe that Tula is the oldest 'official' ammo manufacturer for Russian military rifles (1880?). I think of them as the Russian Lake City.

A crap load of sealed, factory fresh Tula can't be beat (even if it's labeled Wolf :)), which in this case it's not.

Happy Shooting.

Edited by TxMark

Damn I wanna jump on that AIM deal, but the recent purchase of 3000+ rds of 7.62x39, and a shotgun have me on thin ice, I hope that deal last a while.

LOL, I wanted to buy 3K of these... But knew the wife would have my balls on the proverbial Silver Platter.

Plus I need to spread the pain around, I need to restock various calibers, my 5.56 is down to a measly 2000+/- rounds, need 250 rounds each of quality, 124 & 147gr 9mm JHP and 1K+ of 115gr FMJ, another 500-1000 each of #4, 00 & slug, and 1K+ of bulk low brass #7.5-#8, not to mention .22lr, .45acp & 54R for good measure... The ammo cans aren't as well stocked as I prefer.

Anyone wanna lend me about $4K? :angel:

Edited by ChileRelleno

X3 :super:

Soooo..... Anyone, have that extra $4K I can borrow? :angel:

No kidding, that is a great price. Mine shipped today also.

I hope it groups as well as the Wolf and Herters.

I am new to this forum, first post, and I am purchasing a saiga 16" 308 (waiting on CA paperwork). I visited my first gunshow and recently purchased 500rds of Wolf for $176.xx including tax- best price I have found so far. I browsed the online dealers and what looked good (no tax) always looked a little less good after adding in shipping costs. Looks best to do a drive by to the gunshow - total rooky perspective, I know.

PS. When I first got to the gun show I was wondering why so many people had back packs and those thin-tube two-wheel folding carts. After picking up a 500 rd box I figured it out. I left with out, bought an inexpensive back pack, returned (had the stamp on my had so no re-entry fee) and bought the box. Sheeet, that stuff is heavy, who would have guessed a large box of lead would be so heavy?

I am convinced that the shows are the way to go (no shipping costs, no forms, names, Id or credit cards) and I see there are two in my area each year, so I will do bulk purchases, but next time I'll get at least 1,000 rds.

Once I get my "broom" I'm gonna hit the range and do some sweeping. I see from the ammo tests from another thread the Wolf groups nicely at 50 yds, but I'm going to practice hitting targets from 100 to 300 with only iron sites, not interestd in the fancy optics.

Congrats Chubby and welcome.

Don't worry about the Wolf/Tula ammo. Saiga's eat it up.

I've hundreds of rounds at 100 yards and been happy. I think the average is probably 2-3 moa, but I wasn't keeping records and really trying hard for tight groups. I was just breaking it in.

Tomorrow, I'll find out what works at 300 yards. Stay tuned to the "12 cartridges range report" thread.

Happy shootin, and stay safe.

Hey, thank you guys for great pointers on this website. Just ordered my 308 Saiga and a bunch of modifications from CSS today. Got me also GPS military spec grip/Bi-pod for the front and the BARSKA 1-3X30 IR, MULTI RAIL ELECTRO SIGHT AC11396 for an optic.

Then I was looking around for ammo and decided to check out here when I saw this thread. Ordered me 1k rounds of the Tula ammo so I should be set next week when I assemble my beast together.

One quick question, is modifying the trigger system hard to do?? I ordered the Tromix G2 Bundle of CSS just to be on the safe side with these crazy compliance rules. With that being 3 parts and the gas piston plus the SGM tactical stock and pistol grip followed by a US made surfire mags I would think I should be forever safe.

As others have mentioned, the .308 Saiga is the easiest to convert.

Personally, here are my notes:

1. Get a cheap drill press, if you don't have one, and use a carbide mill bit to grind out the rivets and spot welds. Then, use the #31 carbide bit to drill out the gas piston. With a drill press it's a breeze.

2. The trigger guard on the .308 is the biggest PITA. Since the magazine well is enlarged back from the stock 7x39 AK design, it puts the mag catch post too close to the rivet hole for the standard TG. I wound up cutting off the forward end of mine, enlarging the screw hole into a slot. After screwing that end down, the back end was secured by the hand grip.

3. After conversion, the pointy end of the BHO lever is going to dig into your trigger finger. May want to dremel that a bit.

For the FCG, I went with Dinzag, You may need a washer on the BHO side to keep the FCG from going back and forth (from comments I've seen). See the "Safety Problem" thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=11427 as well.

Sounds like you've got what you need to fix that puppy. I'm sure you will be glad you did. That factory trigger sucks a typhoon!

Any other questions, post them in a new thread. I've found most of the folks here to be serious wizards who are happy to help.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

As a note to some.. the Tula 150gr ammo is still just $6.99/box at Graf & Sons.. the shipping is flat rate at $4.99 :smoke:

I just ordered 240 rounds for winter hold over..:killer:

So you can order 500 rounds for $179.xx SHIPPED.. which works to $0.36/rnd..

Most other places are $7.99 - $8.99 per box for Brown Bear etc..

& they currently don't show any BS restrictions like SGuide started doing.. :super:

Al