Ammo Prices for 308.. ?? Any suggestions..??

Well I stepped into the S308 DARKSIDE.... :devil: and bought a 21" version S308 today... (waiting for FFL to get it)

CheaperThanDirt has BrownBear for $7.19/box of 20 ($0.36/round)... shipping for me pushes it over $0.53/round to me.

SportsmansGuide has BrownBear 145gr FMJ for $49.97/120 rounds... ($8.32/box of 20)...

but if you go over $50 you can get $5 OFF with CODE SG1212.. So I added 1- 20 round box of 5.45x39 Wolf for $4.97

brings me to $54.94 and shipping from them to me is $10.49... $65.43.. - $5 = $60.43 for 140 rounds (total) which is $0.4316/rnd.

Graf & Sons is cheap. They have Tula 145gr FMJ for $8.59/box of 20 and only $4.95 shipping.. which if you order 120 rounds for $56.49 shipped is $0.47/round... SHIPPED..

Graf also has LOTS of 308 ammo choices and the pricing ain't bad..

Anyone else got any HOT deal or leads??..

Albert

It seems that trying to save money on 308 is like trying to get an honest answer from a politician. I have found I and my rifle much happier with mil-surp brass and if I really want to get serious then commercial hunting ammo. Yes its expensive this is not a rifle to take plinking unless you have more money than most the x39 fills that role much better.

Easiest way not to spend too much money on 308 is not to shoot it up. I know...

GunnyR... rather not do that.. The setup funds would kill me and measuring things are not in my skill set..:cryss:

I'm thinking within another month or two prices will drop a little more on the 308 (and some other ammo)

Walmart has Winchester White Box $17.99/20 rounds :chris: .. most local dlr's are $20/box of 20... :eek:

Cabelas has Priv Part... 145 FMJ -168 MHP for $11.99 - $13.99/box..

Any other deals...??

Is reloading not an option?

Yes it is but since they were discussing cartridges that cannot be reloaded I did not go there. Setup is expensive for many and Break even on it is way out there. I don't think we will see the days of 15 cent reloads soon. Right now it just best to shoot something else and build up supplies imho although running a mag though it once in a while is smart.

TheArmory with the 500 round Wolf 150gr came to $189.47 for me or... $0.37894 / round for me..

Now if I had $200... I'm gonna have to go piece-meal on this at first.. Grafs... probably...

SGAmmo works out to about $0.483 / round shipped to me for 120 rounds.... $7.95/box..

Anyone got any new leads.???

Sportsmansguide has FREE SHIPPING for over $99 order.. SH425 (good thru 7/25) and if after you do that one also do SG1381 and take $10 off your order..

So pick these items...>>>>>

post-8775-027872900 1279839362_thumb.jpg

So take the $108.71 and subtract $10.... $98.71 & Free Shipping.. Works out to $0.3796/round for 260 rounds of ammo.. (120 pack+120 pack+20 box).

Wish I had the $100... :cryss:

:beer:

Albert

EDIT: *** Just found out you can't STACK the coupons..

$108.71 for 260 rounds = $0.418 / round shipped though.. :super:

Which IMHO ain't that bad for less then 500 Qty.

Albert

check here: http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/176.php

$10.99 per 20. $12 shipping 500 rounds.

CTD has those for a couple cents cheaper a box, I just got 200 of them yesterday but was really sad when I found out the local range changed from closing at sundown to 5pm. It sure does look pretty though and the main reason I purchased it was to use those 200 cases as a basis for reloading. I also got some 110 grain Hornady FMJs to start with, those things are gonna freaking fly...

Hirtenburger. AIM is offering this stuff for about .40/round. Anyone like this in their Saiga?

I just ordered some. I have not shot it out of a Saiga, but people who are better than me (and with much better equipment) swear it is the finest surplus you can buy. I can't tell much difference out of my MBRs but through a more accurate bolt gun it really shines. It also doesn't surface with great regularity, so get some while you can!

Graf & Sons is cheap. They have Tula 145gr FMJ for $8.59/box of 20 and only $4.95 shipping.. which if you order 120 rounds for $56.49 shipped is $0.47/round... SHIPPED..

Graf also has LOTS of 308 ammo choices and the pricing ain't bad..

Anyone else got any HOT deal or leads??..

Albert

The Grafs ammo is actually 150gr FMJ.. :super: Its say JSC Tula Cartrige on the box, but has that Uly type circle thing on the casings.

If you check around the TulAmmo 150gr FMJ is about $9.50/box everywhere ELSE... :killer:

So at 8.59/box you are already saving abit... Trying it out tommorrow and will report back..

Any other deals??

Albert

Rhodes.. good pricing if I can get $300 together in 1 shot.

Shot the Tula Ammo 150gr FMJ from Grafs.. (listed as 145gr on there site)

Had 3 hard primers in 120 rounds.. had to refeed them and they fired fine.

My rifle is new and maybe the spring for the firing pin is stiff still..

Shot 120 rounds and best group I could get at 100 yards with scope and BAG rest is 1 1/4" or so..

I was able to repeat the 3 shot groups (more or less) with no problems.

200 yard groups were like 3 1/2" tall by 2 1/2" wide with scope and BAG rest.

For small budget shooters whom don't want Mil-Surp ammo go with Tula.. (just like the Wolf ammo IMHO)

I just ordered 120 rounds more..

Albert

CTDirt has Brown Bear 145gr FMJ for $7.19/box Item #AMM-715

Works out to be $71.90 for 200 rounds.. shipping for me is $14.69 which works to out to be $0.433 shipped.

This makes it less than AIM for the same Qty of ammo without the corrosiveness question...

They also have the DAG ammo for $85.39 for 200 rounds.. (non-corrosive it says).. Still more than the BBear though.

Anyone else have any 200-250 round deals??

Al

CTDirt has Brown Bear 145gr FMJ for $7.19/box Item #AMM-715

Works out to be $71.90 for 200 rounds.. shipping for me is $14.69 which works to out to be $0.433 shipped.

This makes it less than AIM for the same Qty of ammo without the corrosiveness question...

They also have the DAG ammo for $85.39 for 200 rounds.. (non-corrosive it says).. Still more than the BBear though.

Anyone else have any 200-250 round deals??

Al

Check the link that I posted.

DrGonZo.. the point of the thread is to see if anyone on here SEE's any deals and to post them..

But thank you for the link for the new folks whom don't have it.

CenterfireSystems has Wolf 308 for $7.99/box of 20.. thats $0.40 per round before shipping.

The Armory seems best for $170/500 of the Wolf.. J&G Sales also.. Thanks Jim.. Now saving $ for that deal..

Any other deals.. Any catalogs people have laying around?? Natchezz, Midway??

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.. Grafs & Sons has the Tula 150gr FMJ for $7.29/box. I grabbed 8 boxes for $0.3945/round shipped..

It was $8.59/box last week... :cryss: when I ordered 9 boxes...

They have some surplus 147gr (I think) at $7.99/box..

J&G is still best for the Wolf 150FMJ for $150... but I can't get $150 in one shot.. and I want to shoot..

Guess I should have waited.. nah.. where would the fun be in that...

Al

The irony is I almost just cancelled my new Grafs order for 8 boxes..

Then I did the math.

J&G is $0.37224/round shipped to me.. Grafs for 25 boxes shipped works out to $0.3744/round shipped..

Almost the SAME.. Comes to $1.08 TOTAL cheaper from J&G IF I buy 500 rounds..

At least the way I do it I can buy other ammo for my other rifles and not go broke :cryss: ..

Al