Mini Red Dot Zero

Hey guys I have recently put a Bushnell TRS-25 on my Saiga 12 by means of the side scope mount. I was wondering how you red dot guys have zero'd it in the past and at what range and with what ammo. I have never shot a shotgun with a red dot before so I am trying to see what everyone else has done

I use a good rest, start at 25 yards and then move it out to 50 yds, then 100 yards. I would strongly advise using a large target, aprox. 2 to 3 feet square and cover it completely with new paper or cardboard so you can easily see every shot. It is a lot more than just a 6" spread with slugs that you need to zone in on. Sometimes you can get a shot a good foot off at 100yds. when sighting in a shotgun. I have mine shooting 10 shots in a 10" target at 100 yds. So big targets and a bunch of slugs! The Winchester x 2 3/4" work great but are a bit smokey!

I was told to zero the shot pattern at 15 yards. As this is a shotgun and you want the shot to be on so you can instinctively shoot it without having to use Kentucky windage. Then I found that Breneke Tactical Home Defense slugs are dead on at 100 yards with my gun zeroed at 15 for shot. The slugs are 6 inches high at 50. That is what I do.

Pat

• Like 1

I was told to zero the shot pattern at 15 yards. As this is a shotgun and you want the shot to be on so you can instinctively shoot it without having to use Kentucky windage. Then I found that Breneke Tactical Home Defense slugs are dead on at 100 yards with my gun zeroed at 15 for shot. The slugs are 6 inches high at 50. That is what I do.

Pat

^ I will have to try this. I zeroed my Krebs sights with slugs at 50 yards, but if zeroing with shot at 15 yards is also accurate for slugs at 100, that seems like a smarter way to go. Easy enough to adjust either way.

My shot patterns always seem to be below the point of impact for my slugs...I would like to test this for myself. Although already knowing the placement of my shot pattern is directly below my red dot , I don't think I will mess with mine.

• 6 months later...

I was just wondering about this same question, on where to zero a S12 with a red dot, I went out this weekend and had it zeroed at 100 yards with slugs, good enough to drope a fucker. but then I was wondering how that would work with buck shot and mainly:

whats the best middle range to zero at so I can use buck or slug and still be in the center chest at any range?