The S308 has MORE ammo choices for you.. Granted it costs a little more to shoot vs the 54r..

Just did up my new 21" S308... Happy thus far.

Taking her out with new BDC scope, stock, mags, and CONVERTED trigger group... be doing 100 and 200 yards tommorrow.

Super stoked..

Figure $450 rifle and then $120 (or so) for the parts.. I got about $640 total into mine..

308 Ammo is about $0.38 - $.49/round on line to order.. Just got 120 rounds of Tula 150gr for $56 shipped..

Aim has 200 Hirtenberger surplus 308 rounds for $80..

My version of a Saiganov is on the top in the Gallery section..

May change the whole thing next week.. (like Barbies.. these things..) :lolol:

Albert

cheapest PSL ammo is 1/2 of cheapest 308 or less and comes in sealed tins

Unless you modify your PSL gas system you are pretty constrained to ~150 grain bullet weight loads, due to battering (150 grain 7.62x54r ammo is cheap and easy to find)

308 has more magazine choices, and higher capacity, but more expensive than PSL 10 rounders

308 Saiga has edge on inherent accuracy due to heavier barrel (although I dont yet know how much) The claim is the PSL barrel being thinner heats up faster in sustained fire, moving the point of impact.

Unless you get the AK54R version of the PSL, it does not use standard AK furniture as does the 308 Saiga

Basic gun costs are about the same if you convert your Saiga 308 back to military configuration (this is a have to in my opinion) although you will get a military scope with the PSL

If I had to pick one, I would get the Saiga, but if you can get both!

Here's my dilemma, Izzy makes the Russian variant, but they're apparently so rare here in the states, they go for thousands of dollars. I've already read too much about the Norinco version being relatively cheap with paint flaking off and stuff.

it is a great dmr.i have had two and both worked well for what they were intended for.saiga .308 has more things you can do to,but you typically get more bang for the buck with the PSL package:two 10rd mags,sling,4x scope w range finder/bdc callibrated for 148gr,4 mag pouch,and cleaning kit.for a semi auto shooting surpluss ammo it really is fairly accurate.i can hit 500m chest shots with it pretty well, and while yes the barrel is thin/tapered and heats up fast,it also cools down quicker.i like having a gun for varrious typs of ammo that can be found in a shtf situation and for the hard penatrating 7.62x54r round,its for sure the PSL for me.

Edited by BuzzNectar

See, that's the issue with the PSL is the battering problem with higher grain rounds. Why did I have to fall in love with the idea of owning a dragunov when I can't get the real russian deal? :cryss:

yes but the majority of 7.62x54r thats available is between 140's-150's grain,and in a worse case situation you can shoot the higher grains if you have to(ONLY IF YOU HAVE TO).i imagine if you install a buffer it will help matters and allow more life span if you get into a situation where all you have left is your PSL and a heavy grain load.as far as the real deal russian SVD,well as you probably have found out to get one its VERY expensive.even if you had the cash and got one you would have to then expand your search for extra mags(not compatible with PSL)and two very key items to unlock the true potental of the SVD.they are an original SVD bayonet(designed like a boss system its supposed to be attatched while shooting)and the 7N1 sniper round made specifically for the SVD.without them it makes the accuracy of the SVD not so superior to the PSL.of course though if i had the cash i for sure would pursue a russian SVD and its key accessories.it would be a real nice slice of pie.oh and also the original pso-1 that is issued to the SVD is superior to what is offered on the PSL.

Edited by BuzzNectar

See, that's the issue with the PSL is the battering problem with higher grain rounds. Why did I have to fall in love with the idea of owning a dragunov when I can't get the real russian deal? :cryss:

Dont forget the REAL Russian deal was NOT designed to shoot heavy ball either... SO if you DID buy a several thousand dollar rifle, you would be shooting the SAME EXACT AMMO you would out of the $500.00 PSL... ( And yes... they CAN be purchased new for less than $500.00 )

:smoke:

Dont forget the REAL Russian deal was NOT designed to shoot heavy ball either... SO if you DID buy a several thousand dollar rifle, you would be shooting the SAME EXACT AMMO you would out of the $500.00 PSL... ( And yes... they CAN be purchased new for less than $500.00 )

Yeah, I found that out as well after doing some more in-depth research. Then I suppose a PSL is a good addition to my family of guns as any. New for less than $500? Where'd you scope those out, Indy? I'd loooooove to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I found that out as well after doing some more in-depth research. Then I suppose a PSL is a good addition to my family of guns as any. New for less than $500? Where'd you scope those out, Indy? I'd loooooove to know.

Centerfire

Just a heads up, the Saiga .308 does not have the same accuracy as a PSL, I own both rifles and the PSL is far more accurate, longer barrel and less recoil then the .308. My PSL is a quality built rifle with over 10,000 rounds of surplus corrosive crooked ass ammo through it and I would take it to battle no problem. The only problem I had to work out with the PSL was the lubricant, this gun does get hot, especially with the scope off dumping semi auto, I use breakfree CLP and that gun will keep firing. My only complaint for the PSL is lack of aftermarket parts: polymer stocks and 20-30 round mags. Buy this rifle, take off that retarded Russian scope it comes with, buy the mount and a 50 power scope and throw a bi pod on there, and you now have a semi auto sniper rifle that can shoot through 5 houses and hit a man size target at over 800 yards.

• Like 1

Just a heads up, the Saiga .308 does not have the same accuracy as a PSL, I own both rifles and the PSL is far more accurate, longer barrel and less recoil then the .308. My PSL is a quality built rifle with over 10,000 rounds of surplus corrosive crooked ass ammo through it and I would take it to battle no problem. The only problem I had to work out with the PSL was the lubricant, this gun does get hot, especially with the scope off dumping semi auto, I use breakfree CLP and that gun will keep firing. My only complaint for the PSL is lack of aftermarket parts: polymer stocks and 20-30 round mags. Buy this rifle, take off that retarded Russian scope it comes with, buy the mount and a 50 power scope and throw a bi pod on there, and you now have a semi auto sniper rifle that can shoot through 5 houses and hit a man size target at over 800 yards.

Yeah, that's my idea.