Got a few ?'s

So I've pretty much decided on a Saiga 5.45 for next rifle project, assuming I can find one for reasonable price.

May have to wait :unsure:

I plan on converting it, but I have a few questions I need help with and hopefully the people with experience here can help.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

•  
  • How hard is it to install the bullet guide for the 5.45 Saiga? I don't have to do anything then to the magazine well in order to use surplus AK74 mags, do I?
  • Do all 5.45 Saigas have flat trunions?
  • Is a 5.45 bolt smaller than a 7.62? I'd think it would be the same, extractor and all. Can a spare be reliably found?
  • What do you all think of the Tromix products for conversions?

Thanks for any info.

Edited by essohbe
-How hard is it to install the bullet guide for the 5.45 Saiga? I don't have to do anything then to the magazine well in order to use surplus AK74 mags, do I?

Bullet guide is easy to install. All it is, is a single hole drilled through the front trunion, then tapped with a tap and tap holder (tap and drill bit come in the kits, and a tap holder is like $5) Just go slow, take your time, and do it carefully. Tapping is best done slow, one portion of a turn at a time, back up, repeat, lots of oil. A properly tapped hole is a cake walk. Removing a broken tap because you hurried, or chucked the tap into a drill, is a nightmare. No mods needed to the magazine well or magazine catch.

-Do all 5.45 Saigas have flat trunions?

Most do, but check your rifle before ordering a tap, just in case.

-Is a 5.45 bolt smaller than a 7.62? I'd think it would be the same, extractor and all. Can a spare be reliably found?

The Saiga bolts are AK-100 series, AK74 and AKM bolts will not work in them. Also, bolts need to be headspaced if I remember correctly as they can be slightly different. Replacement bolts and carriers for the Saigas almost non existant in the US.

-What do you all think of the Tromix products for conversions?

Which product? The stock? Fire Control Group? Trigger guard?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I could put the bullet guide in no problem. I am used to drilling and tapping some things.

That sucks about the bolt situation. So if anyone who has a Saiga 5.45 needs another one eventually then we're all out of luck?

The Tromix FCG I was wondering about.

Thanks again for the info.

You don't need the Tromix. The standard Tapco G2 (single-hook) is all you need.

(The Tromix is a G2 modified for BHO (bolt hold open) and the 'hump' removed for the S308 and S12 shotguns)

Order the Tapco G2 (single) (save $20) and these parts:

1) Disconnect Spring

2) Retainer Plate

the BHO mod for the 'hammer' takes a few minutes with a dremel or bench grinder.. your removing the width of the BHO lever (its about 1/8" or so). Thats only if you want to use the BHO on your rifle.

I think my 5.45 conversion took like 45-50 minutes total.. (was my 2nd)

and yes they are hard to find right now.. maybe 4-6 months before more come in.. (total guess here)

Al

• Like 1

You don't need the Tromix. The standard Tapco G2 (single-hook) is all you need.

(The Tromix is a G2 modified for BHO (bolt hold open) and the 'hump' removed for the S308 and S12 shotguns)

Order the Tapco G2 (single) (save $20) and these parts:

1) Disconnect Spring

2) Retainer Plate

the BHO mod for the 'hammer' takes a few minutes with a dremel or bench grinder.. your removing the width of the BHO lever (its about 1/8" or so). Thats only if you want to use the BHO on your rifle.

I think my 5.45 conversion took like 45-50 minutes total.. (was my 2nd)

and yes they are hard to find right now.. maybe 4-6 months before more come in.. (total guess here)

Al

What he said!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
("...The Tromix is a G2 modified for BHO (bolt hold open) and ..."

Yea, I am interested in that for the BHO. I know you have to cut down the hammer a tad to fit it but it's not a problem. They (Tromix) are basically charging you extra just for the cut hammer then? ... well that's stupid, I am used to drilling and grinding metals so I can mod a G2 in my sleep.

Thanks for the info.

The Saiga bolts are AK-100 series, AK74 .......bolts will not work in them.

Has anyone actually tried a 74 bolt in their carrier to check? Other than maybe a cam angle difference they look identical from images.

The AKM bolt is obviously way different.

I'm not saying it's true, but I have read that the AK100 series bolt is of a smaller diameter than the AK74 bolt.

The Saiga bolts are AK-100 series, AK74 .......bolts will not work in them.

Has anyone actually tried a 74 bolt in their carrier to check? Other than maybe a cam angle difference they look identical from images.

The AKM bolt is obviously way different.

I'm not saying it's true, but I have read that the AK100 series bolt is of a smaller diameter than the AK74 bolt.

Hmmmmm....

21999pl.jpg

• Like 1