Version 3.0 AK co-witness side mount.

Very cool side-mount!

It doesn't mention it in the description on Kalinka's website, but based on that pic, this mount will allow the red dot and irons to co-witness. If that's indeed true, the Ultimak railed gas tube just got a lot less attractive.

Yeah it does co-witness. There was a thread on ARFcom with a bunch of pics (albeit the 2.x versions). Looks like they updated it too.

Yeah it does co-witness. There was a thread on ARFcom with a bunch of pics (albeit the 2.x versions). Looks like they updated it too.

I just read some of that arf thread. I guess the co-witnessing design of this series of mounts is old news that I missed. :blush:

The 3rd gen look even better.

Other than the ability to use the iron sights in conjunction with the red dot, is this mount that much better then the UTG mount? It costs 3X as much. I have been pleased with the UTG version. It is aircraft grade aluminum and has held zero with repeated use on the line and removal for cleaning. Just asking.

Very cool side-mount!

It doesn't mention it in the description on Kalinka's website, but based on that pic, this mount will allow the red dot and irons to co-witness. If that's indeed true, the Ultimak railed gas tube just got a lot less attractive.

I'm not sure. If I want to mount a Comp M3, I have added a pound and a quarter (~20 ounces) using this mount. On the other hand, I could mount an Aimpoint Micro on an Ultimak at a cost of less than 6 added ounces total - not quite a full pound in weight reduction. For you He-Men for whom weight is no factor, this sight is preferable, but I like to keep my rifles light and wieldy.

Having said all that, this mount would be my second choice among all possible AK optic mount options. Vastly preferable to the other options out there. After having experienced a low, co-witnessing mount, everything else seems lame to me.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

Other than the ability to use the iron sights in conjunction with the red dot, is this mount that much better then the UTG mount? It costs 3X as much. I have been pleased with the UTG version. It is aircraft grade aluminum and has held zero with repeated use on the line and removal for cleaning. Just asking.

If the UTG works well for you, I'd stick with it. These co-witness mounts are for those who want the absolute lowest side-rail RDS mount possible. They're not necessarily "better" than any other well-made side-mount, just different, and built for a more specific purpose.

Other than the ability to use the iron sights in conjunction with the red dot, is this mount that much better then the UTG mount?

To me, the low cheek position makes this a winner, compared to other AK side mounts.

It is aircraft grade aluminum and has held zero with repeated use on the line and removal for cleaning.

I have experienced the locking mechanism wearing out on a high dollar side mount before. In my opinion, it is best to leave them mounted to the gun nearly always. But since I want to use irons too, that would be a no-go with non-co-witnessing sights.

Edited by Jim Digriz

All I see is a straight-up side rail (in there pics) with an offset CLAMP held on by 2 allen head screws.. for $99 :eek:

I'll stick with the UTG-978 for $35-40.. If I do anything its the BP-02 (low-pro) mount. $54

If the UTG978 was 3/16" lower it would achieve the same co-witness height.. If I knew how to weld aluminum...

Wheres Boba Debt when you need him.. betcha he could do it.. (seriously)

$100 is steep.. Better going Ultimak for the $100.. IMHO..

Al

• Like 1

Very cool side-mount!

I'm not sure. If I want to mount a Comp M3, I have added a pound and a quarter (~20 ounces) using this mount. On the other hand, I could mount an Aimpoint Micro on an Ultimak at a cost of less than 6 added ounces total - not quite a full pound in weight reduction. For you He-Men for whom weight is no factor, this sight is preferable, but I like to keep my rifles light and wieldy.

+1

This is correct. The Ultimak (made right here in Moscow Idaho) remains the top dog. :super:

All I see is a straight-up side rail (in there pics) with an offset CLAMP held on by 2 allen head screws.. for $99 :eek:

I'll stick with the UTG-978 for $35-40.. If I do anything its the BP-02 (low-pro) mount. $54

If the UTG978 was 3/16" lower it would achieve the same co-witness height.. If I knew how to weld aluminum...

Wheres Boba Debt when you need him.. betcha he could do it.. (seriously)

$100 is steep.. Better going Ultimak for the $100.. IMHO..

Al

Starting welding classes soon. I'll let ya know when I can weld aluminum. I plan on making a lot of custom ak rail parts anyways.

Very cool side-mount!

+1

This is correct. The Ultimak (made right here in Moscow Idaho) remains the top dog. :super:

My problem with the Ultimak/T1 set-up:

-even though the T1 is lighter than a full size, putting even only that much weight on the barrel, along with a light and light mount, made it for me too front heavy. A side rail is heavier, but it moves that weight to the rear of the rifle and that, at least for me, that was an improvement.

-Also, while is seems that the T1 can handle the intense heat from the Ultimak, I can't imagine it's doing the optic anything good. Time will tell I suppose if the heat wears down the batteries and even the diode much faster.

-Having used both full size Aimpoints Micros, I prefer the bigger 30mm tube.

-I have a degree of astigmatism, and for whatever reason, (and others have reported this as well) using a kill flash "rounds" or makes crisper the red dot. There is no killflash for the T1 and so it often looks to me like a comet instead of a dot.

-I also prefer the 2moa over the 4 (really 3.8)moa of the Micro

• Like 1

-even though the T1 is lighter than a full size, putting even only that much weight on the barrel, along with a light and light mount, made it for me too front heavy. A side rail is heavier, but it moves that weight to the rear of the rifle and that, at least for me, that was an improvement.

-Also, while is seems that the T1 can handle the intense heat from the Ultimak, I can't imagine it's doing the optic anything good. Time will tell I suppose if the heat wears down the batteries and even the diode much faster.

-I have a degree of astigmatism, and for whatever reason, (and others have reported this as well) using a kill flash "rounds" or makes crisper the red dot. There is no killflash for the T1 and so it often looks to me like a comet instead of a dot.

Interesting. Certainly your personal preference for the larger tube and moa difference is a valid concern, however the heat offset is not causing any issues to the T1/H1 that I am aware of. Further, I am not sure I agree that the light mount is an issue.

This looks like a fine set-up, but certainly not one that is as optimal as an Ultimak equipped rig. The weight difference is a deal breaker.

Interesting. Certainly your personal preference for the larger tube and moa difference is a valid concern, however the heat offset is not causing any issues to the T1/H1 that I am aware of. Further, I am not sure I agree that the light mount is an issue.

This looks like a fine set-up, but certainly not one that is as optimal as an Ultimak equipped rig. The weight difference is a deal breaker.

The problem is that if the intense heat is having an effect, you won't know it until something actually happens. I think the T1 is the best optic to put on an Ultimak, no question, but I just am not sure if that simple fact makes it a good idea.

IMG_6190_2_2.jpg?t=1280822774IMG_1040.jpg?t=1279984191

I have tried both and, now that I can get a side mount that allows co-witness, will be going for the bigger tube, and smaller, crisper dot, that moves the center of balance back over the receiver. But as always, it's a work in progress.

IMG_1344.jpg?t=1280823819

Just need to pick up a full size Aimpoint again.

Cheers.

The problem is that if the intense heat is having an effect, you won't know it until something actually happens. I think the T1 is the best optic to put on an Ultimak, no question, but I just am not sure if that simple fact makes it a good idea.

IMG_6190_2_2.jpg?t=1280822774IMG_1040.jpg?t=1279984191

I have tried both and, now that I can get a side mount that allows co-witness, will be going for the bigger tube, and smaller, crisper dot, that moves the center of balance back over the receiver. But as always, it's a work in progress.

IMG_1344.jpg?t=1280823819

Just need to pick up a full size Aimpoint again.

Cheers.

Well, there are plenty of guys running the aimpoint ultimak combo without any aimpoints melting or fucking up at any point. My guess is that you just really REALLY want the kalinka mount to be in the same league, and thus are fooling yourself. I say keep it simple/keep it light. Weight is bad, that is simple!

Also, I noticed you are running AK30's... check out this: http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=133600&start=0

After you watch the video and read about the testing I am sure you will want to ditch them for ((10)) Bulgy mags. Anyway good luck man.

Well, there are plenty of guys running the aimpoint ultimak combo without any aimpoints melting or fucking up at any point. My guess is that you just really REALLY want the kalinka mount to be in the same league, and thus are fooling yourself. I say keep it simple/keep it light. Weight is bad, that is simple!

Also, I noticed you are running AK30's... check out this: http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=133600&start=0

After you watch the video and read about the testing I am sure you will want to ditch them for ((10)) Bulgy mags. Anyway good luck man.

I also have yet to read or hear of the Ultimak/T1 combo failing. But that does not mean that the intense heat isn't having an effect. In any case if you look around on various forums, you will see that more than a few AK/AR owners have found that they are simply able to get on target faster with the full size Aimpoints. As you can see from the pics, I have in fact tried both combos and find that I myself am one of them. And I agree with you, light and simple is always better, if not for the comet effect of my astigmatism, I probably would have stayed with that arrangement.

But thanks for the AK30 review link. Very informative. I mostly run Circle 10s, but picked up a few of the U.S. Palm mags just to try out. It's too bad that the Bulgy waffles were also not run though the same tests. It would be very interesting to compare the results.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I also have yet to read or hear of the Ultimak/T1 combo failing. But that does not mean that the intense heat isn't having an effect. In any case if you look around on various forums, you will see that more than a few AK/AR owners have found that they are simply able to get on target faster with the full size Aimpoints. As you can see from the pics, I have in fact tried both combos and find that I myself am one of them. And I agree with you, light and simple is always better, if not for the comet effect of my astigmatism, I probably would have stayed with that arrangement.

But thanks for the AK30 review link. Very informative. I mostly run Circle 10s, but picked up a few of the U.S. Palm mags just to try out. It's too bad that the Bulgy waffles were also not run though the same tests. It would be very interesting to compare the results.

Cheers.

The guy running the tests offered to run two bulgies if someone donated them to him. Since he has access to FA AK's, I considered sending in two of my own. I am interested in the results, just not sure if I am "$60 interested"....

Whatever you decide please post pics of the final configuration, your rigs are approaching ridiculously awesome level. :super:

Edited by bigsal

...Whatever you decide please post pics of the final configuration, your rigs are approaching ridiculously awesome level. :super:

How could Belloc's rifle even be approaching "ridiculously awesome level" with that Ace folding mech, Sal? From what you've said before, that doesn't seem possible. Or.. is that the next thing he "needs" to replace with your personal preference in gear to "be more effective" and take the next step toward total awesomeness? ^_^

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

...Whatever you decide please post pics of the final configuration, your rigs are approaching ridiculously awesome level. :super:

How could Belloc's rifle even be approaching "ridiculously awesome level" with that Ace folding mech, Sal? From what you've said before, that doesn't seem possible. Or.. is that the next thing he "needs" to replace with your personal preference in gear to "be more effective" and take the next step toward total awesomeness? ^_^

Hes running ultimak/aimpoint, has some sweet Bulgy lower HG's, a neat set of MB's etc etc.... Obviously his failure is in his choice of sidefolders as well as his choice of magazines (in 2/3rds of the pics), but we will forgive him these points as its obviously a work in progress. :super:

PrimaryArms005.jpg

alternate option?

Cheers.

The guy running the tests offered to run two bulgies if someone donated them to him. Since he has access to FA AK's, I considered sending in two of my own. I am interested in the results, just not sure if I am "$60 interested"....

Whatever you decide please post pics of the final configuration, your rigs are approaching ridiculously awesome level. :super:

You got a PP account? I would be willing to kick in $30 to help learn those results.

Hes running ultimak/aimpoint, has some sweet Bulgy lower HG's, a neat set of MB's etc etc.... Obviously his failure is in his choice of sidefolders as well as his choice of magazines (in 2/3rds of the pics), but we will forgive him these points as its obviously a work in progress. :super:

And a never ending one at that it seems. But that is part of the fun.

img0994e.jpg

PrimaryArms005.jpg

alternate option?

Maybe. But for my money there are not (yet) enough people running these optics on Ultimaks to see if they are also able to withstand the heat like the T1s have been thus far.

Cheers.

You got a PP account? I would be willing to kick in $30 to help learn those results.

OK lets do it. I just posted in his thread and told him I would mail him 2 ((10)) mags for him to test. If he agrees, You can PP me $30 and I will eat the rest of the cost. :super:

• Like 1