new-ish to the game

I got a saiga about a year ago as my second rifle (that I bought myself, I grew up shooting plenty) after five hundred rounds I did a trigger/pistol-grip conversion on the rifle.

I got a couple of the pro-mag saiga mags...they suck needless to say. I didn't want to do the full bullet guide conversion but now I kind of want to but I am nervous and don't really know how.

Is there an instructional video on how to do this...or anything really.

I really love this rifle, but I want it to take standard AK mags, both for the reliability issue and the fact that I am wanting an SGL-21 and want to be able to use the same mags for both.

So anyone want to help a newbie out?

There are some rare saigas out there that don't actually need bullet guides, and will cycle surplus mags with no issue.

There are two-headed farm animals, and other mutants, too.

What with the vagaries of production, the odds are good that one certain Saiga and a few certain mags will fit and function just fine w/o a bullet guide.

Odds of you finding that combination are slim.

For 100% reliability with milsurp mags, install a bullet guide.

Conversion video @ vimeo

Edited by nalioth

I would say from what I read that if you have a 5.45 the odds a really good you want need a bullet guide. I have 6 mags so far and not one single jam or mishap with any of them. I plan on putting one in eventually just for peice of mind but haven't needed it so far.

The other calibers I believe you are going to need a bullet guide.

There are some rare saigas out there that don't actually need bullet guides, and will cycle surplus mags with no issue.

There are two-headed farm animals, and other mutants, too.

What with the vagaries of production, the odds are good that one certain Saiga and a few certain mags will fit and function just fine w/o a bullet guide.

Odds of you finding that combination are slim.

For 100% reliability with milsurp mags, install a bullet guide.

Conversion video @ vimeo

I used that video for converting my rifle, I do not believe it shows how to do a bullet guide though.

About how thick is the trunnion?

I dont want to drill to much and fuck up my rifle or something, Is there some sort of sign (as in be very obvious) when I make it through the trunnion?

By the looks of it I have a round trunnion, If that helps with anything.

I just want some tips for going at this, is it pretty easy or more for the advanced garage smith?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

I dont want to drill to much and fuck up my rifle or something, Is there some sort of sign (as in be very obvious) when I make it through the trunnion?

I just want some tips for going at this, is it pretty easy or more for the advanced garage smith?

Its not very thick at all. It should be fairly obvious when you hit pay dirt, there wont be any resistance. Just make sure you punch and line up where you want that hole, you only get one shot to make it right. That said its not too hard. I had issues with mine. My guide was contacting my bolt, and I stripped out my original threads. I had to go one size up on the tap, and reshape my bullet guide a lil and now everything is go. Really its not all that difficult, just use some superglue and test and retest for function. Break cleaner will take the super glue off.

you only get one shot to make it right.

Not at all.

If you f*** up the drilling and tapping, you can go "old school" and hand rivet your bullet guide in place.

saiga556_658.JPG

If you don't feel like going "old school", just take it down to your local car body shop and have'em plug weld it.

If you don't feel like going "old school", just take it down to your local car body shop and have'em plug weld it.

Earlier I had asked about just putting a weld bead on the trunion and grinding it down to size and I was told that welding would mess up the temper in the trunion. I'm guessing a proper bead ground to spec would be, dare I say, bullet proof.

Earlier I had asked about just putting a weld bead on the trunion and grinding it down to size and I was told that welding would mess up the temper in the trunion. I'm guessing a proper bead ground to spec would be, dare I say, bullet proof.

Plug welding and welding a bead are two different things.

The plug weld just "zaps" a single spot in place, with the bullet guide accepting some of the heat.

Laying a bead on the trunnion puts all the heat there.

Its not bad...I bought my kit from accessory arms. Came with the tap. I'd recommend buying or borrowing a good center punch to make your initial mark and a cobalt bit - i'm not sure I could have done it without the cobalt bit. I bought my bit at sears, went through the metal with ease. I was really surprised how well it worked. You want a really good mark for the drill bit to hit at the beginning. I put the bullet guide in place where I wanted it then made my mark with the punch in through the hole in the bullet guide. It might sound complicated, but once you start, it's pretty obvious what you'll need to do. This is probably the most critical step in my opinion. I wish my drill had a level when I was drilling it too. Drilling straight down is important and easy to go off a little if get mesmerized by watching the metal coil come off the drill bit.