I've decided, I'm going to make an AKS-74U. I gotta have one :eek:

It's gonna be a lot of money for the stamps for the silencer, full-auto, and sbr. Then not to mention the parts kit and receiver, but well worth the money in my opinion. It's not gonna be something I do soon, but within the next year or so I'll be starting this project. Most likely after I build my AR.

I've decided, I'm going to make an AKS-74U

It's gonna be a lot of money for the stamps for the silencer, full-auto, and sbr

I think there is a fatal flaw in your plan.

And that is?

ETA: If you think I'm going to build a receiver, you read too much into it.

Edited by VaiFanatic90

Nothing Fatal about it...You are either going to be required to become a SOT, a soldier, LEO, felon... or maybe reaaaallly rich...all of that dismissed because none of them are "fatal", I foresee $600 worth in taxes just to start out which is BULLSHIT!

• Like 1

The context of your post made me think you were going to make a machine gun in the sense one makes a SBR.

I took it that you were not going to buy one of the very finite number of guns (be that just a receiver or a whole weapon) that is already registered in the now closed machine gun registry. If that is your plan then why and how are you and then going to register that as an SBR? I further assumed that since you were worried about the price of two $200 tax stamps, and deemed $400 to be a lot of money (that you seemed to think would be 3 totaling $600 my understanding is a registered machine gun can have a barrel shorter than 16" perhaps I am mistaken) that meant you were not buying a registered machine gun. If $400 or even $600 is a lot of money to you then why in the world are you buying a registered machine gun?

If you are SOT then a different set of rules applies but I am confused as to the tax stamps at that point. In sum I guess I do not know what your plan is and I am having a hard time figuring it out.

What is your plan?

Edited by Zambidis

The context of your post made me think you were going to make a machine gun in the sense one makes a SBR.

I took it that you were not going to buy one of the very finite number of guns (be that just a receiver or a whole weapon) that is already registered in the now closed machine gun registry. If that is your plan then why and how are you and then going to register that as an SBR? I further assumed that since you were worried about the price of two $200 tax stamps, and deemed $400 to be a lot of money (that you seemed to think would be 3 totaling $600 my understanding is a registered machine gun can have a barrel shorter than 16" perhaps I am mistaken) that meant you were not buying a registered machine gun. If $400 or even $600 is a lot of money to you then why in the world are you buying a registered machine gun?

If you are SOT then a different set of rules applies but I am confused as to the tax stamps at that point. In sum I guess I do not know what your plan is and I am having a hard time figuring it out.

What is your plan?

Well, I intend to purchase receiver that's already registered as a machine gun. So yeah, it would actually only be two tax stamps for the silencer and SBR. However, after reading up on the NFA rules, I see you're right. If a weapon is registered as a machine gun, it does not require another tax stamp to make it an SBR. So then I'd really be paying $200 for the tax stamp for the silencer. And to clarify what I meant about $600 being a lot of money, I think it's a lot of money for some tax stamps. The amount of money I'll be paying for the receiver and all the other parts of the gun is to be expected, and I'm fully aware of the potential cost. Again, it's just the tax stamps that I think are a rip off. Oh well, until they go away or shit gets worse, we'll all have to deal with them.

I see. I'm not condoning the tax but I when one is going to buy a $20K gun (that is what impact guns has one listed at right now pictured below) and feed it at $200/1000 rounds the one time $200 tax stamp suddenly seems like an after thought. If one wants to buy a $200 .22LR suppressor (that would cost even less if the market wasn't artificially kept small) then yeah it seems like more of a concern one might have. Hell the sales tax on a $20k gun would be approx $1500 depending on location.

krinkov.jpg

I would probably own a lot more SBR/SBSs and silencers if there was no $200 tax. I don't know that it would really affect the number of machine guns. Even buy the time one gets to the price of a Mac its easy to not care about the extra $200..

*I note you are after a AKSU74 so the above prices of gun and ammo may not be spot on but serve to illustrate the general idea.

Edited by Zambidis
  • Like 1

I see. I'm not condoning the tax but I when one is going to buy a $20K gun (that is what impact guns has one listed at right now pictured below) and feed it at $200/1000 rounds the one time $200 tax stamp suddenly seems like an after thought. If one wants to buy a $200 .22LR suppressor (that would cost even less if the market wasn't artificially kept small) then yeah it seems like more of a concern one might have. Hell the sales tax on a $20k gun would be approx $1500 depending on location.

krinkov.jpg

I would probably own a lot more SBR/SBSs and silencers if there was no $200 tax. I don't know that it would really affect the number of machine guns. Even buy the time one gets to the price of a Mac its easy to not care about the extra $200..

*I note you are after a AKSU74 so the above prices of gun and ammo may not be spot on but serve to illustrate the general idea.

Buying a no kidding FA krink as you said would cost $10-25K.

I'm looking at becoming a licensed manufacturer anyway as I posture to open up a range and shop, so that might be the route I take. Again, this isn't something I'm going to do all too soon.

They really need to repeal that '86 FOPA machine gun ban. I can keep dreaming. *sigh*

Edited by VaiFanatic90
  • 1 month later...