Walking through Gander and saw a return/never fired Ruger 10/22 carbine for $185. Thought that was an ok price so I got it.

I know some of you have dressed them up. Anybody have any good Ideas for it?? This is my first semi .22

Edited by whitetrashrn

It just has the plain jane stock. I took it out and yes I will be shooting the shit out of it. I think I want a Pistol grip

stock configuration. Gotta get more mags I am finding out. My boy and I put 200 rds through it and I gotta get

some more ammo. I can get a whole pile for $50. I am looking around and find the stuff for it is fairly cheap.

Any thing for it anyone would stay away from?? IE junk stocks, mounts??

9:44 pm Saw that Archangle 10/22 conversion kit that has everything execpt the rail flip up sights for $145

Good?? Bad?? Stock and rail mounts Good?? Bad??

Edited by whitetrashrn

One thing I'll say about magazines is stick with Ruger factory rotary mags and the Tactical Innovation TI-25 mags. They aren't cheap, but they are the best out there, far superior to the Butler Creek, Ramline, etc. I've had trouble with every other thing I've tried. Almost none of the aftermarket mags snap in solid. Even if they do, you gotta remember that the 10/22's ejector is part of the magazine feed lips, so the plastic lip ones get busted up pretty fast and then won't feed right. The Butler Creek steel lips ran okay but the follower would bind up when it got real dirty (probably about a brick and a half of budget ammo), and you can't disassemble and clean them. With the TacInc mags you can. I have two of the composite-and-steel versions and I wish they had come out with these things years ago! (End of shameless product plugging.)

The Archangel is a nice design but kinda flimsy. There is an almost identical setup made out of aluminum instead of plastic made by Nordic. Again, not cheap, but nice stuff never is. For a while I had a Butler Creek side-folder on mine but I took it off. It was a little too flexible; the barrel and forend would sag down to where the ass-end of the receiver was a quarter inch higher than it should have been in the stock channel. I've been thinking about getting a Nordic stock but my M4 is just more important right now.

Only other mods I've made on mine are an auto bolt release (the factory hold-open is a pain in the butt), slightly extended mag release lever, and a recoil buffer pin; all made by Christie if I'm remembering correctly, but those accessories you can get from just about anywhere. The recoil buffer pin was a real tight fit when I got it. I had to chuck it in a drill and sand it to be able to push it in and out easily with a cartridge, and make it flush on the sides of the receiver.

One thing I'll say about magazines is stick with Ruger factory rotary mags and the Tactical Innovation TI-25 mags. They aren't cheap, but they are the best out there, far superior to the Butler Creek, Ramline, etc. I've had trouble with every other thing I've tried. Almost none of the aftermarket mags snap in solid. Even if they do, you gotta remember that the 10/22's ejector is part of the magazine feed lips, so the plastic lip ones get busted up pretty fast and then won't feed right. The Butler Creek steel lips ran okay but the follower would bind up when it got real dirty (probably about a brick and a half of budget ammo), and you can't disassemble and clean them. With the TacInc mags you can. I have two of the composite-and-steel versions and I wish they had come out with these things years ago! (End of shameless product plugging.)

The Archangel is a nice design but kinda flimsy. There is an almost identical setup made out of aluminum instead of plastic made by Nordic. Again, not cheap, but nice stuff never is. For a while I had a Butler Creek side-folder on mine but I took it off. It was a little too flexible; the barrel and forend would sag down to where the ass-end of the receiver was a quarter inch higher than it should have been in the stock channel. I've been thinking about getting a Nordic stock but my M4 is just more important right now.

Only other mods I've made on mine are an auto bolt release (the factory hold-open is a pain in the butt), slightly extended mag release lever, and a recoil buffer pin; all made by Christie if I'm remembering correctly, but those accessories you can get from just about anywhere. The recoil buffer pin was a real tight fit when I got it. I had to chuck it in a drill and sand it to be able to push it in and out easily with a cartridge, and make it flush on the sides of the receiver.

Cool.. Thanks for the help. The stock info is real good. I dont want a stock that is flimsy. I want something solid, If it sat on the tailgate for folks to look at I would be alright.

I run the piss out of my guns. Thanks..

Great little rifle with many options for customization.

Here's mine.

Butler Creek folding stock with a rail I mounted for bi-pod bench shooting.

Tactical Innovations Ti-25 mag and cheapo Bushnell scope with see through rings.

Good luck with your new toy!027.gif

post-15138-044174600 1281894454_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I looked online and man there is a lot out there. I want to keep myself under $175 for the furniture.

I saw some stocks for $600 to $800 range. I am not that into it. I would rather get the 6.8 spc

AR upper. I am trying to find out if the stock portion of the Archangle can be removed. I have a

real well built M4 car stock I can put on if that is too flimsy.

One thing I'll say about magazines is stick with Ruger factory rotary mags and the Tactical Innovation TI-25 mags. They aren't cheap, but they are the best out there, far superior to the Butler Creek, Ramline, etc. I've had trouble with every other thing I've tried.

The Eagle 30 rounders work well for me provided I load them up only to 25.

I saw those at Centerfire. Thanks Caspain for the Tac. innovations site. They have everything I am going to need.

I have to do some searching for a pic of that Super Stock on a rifle. They have a cool charging handle, the

flash hider I want and those Ti25 mags look realy well built. 2 mags, a auto bolt rel., and the other stuff will

get it to where I want it. Now wait until friday for the $$.

@Predator - That's the Ramline folding stock, yes? Also, that is a CRAZY finish.

Yup it's a Ramline. I put this rifle in it when it was new. Don't even think the wood stock even saw range time. That's a Krylon job using some fishnet stockings from the Halloween aisle at Wallyworld. I did the regular random "camo job" then wrapped it in the fishnets and dusted it with the final coat. The pic doesn't do it justice as you cannot see all the colors that are on it.

F'en cool stock. That finish is neat. Same way the car painters did it with the lace in the late 60's. I bought a 57 210 a long time ago and the whole

car was done with stockings and table cloths. Once I am done dressing my Draco and making a beryl type rail I will be ready to jump on this project.

Please keep posting the pics. I like what I have heard and seen so far.. Thanks..

I put in a new auto bolt hold open.. Just pull back after locking it open. It looks just like the one I took out execpt for

the little hole half way up has a little heart shaped hole. Seems like that could be just filed open?? Maybe I

am wrong but they seem just alike.

You need another rifle for this to work, but its cool factor is off the charts...

"This is a commercially available kit that converts 2 off the shelf Ruger 22 caliber rifles to a crank operated gun. This is not a true Gatling gun and is not a Class III weapon (machine gun) but is capable of a high rate of fire. This can be legally owned by anyone that can legally own a rifle. Capacity is only limited by magazine size, generally 50 rounds each side. After the 1994 AWB expired in 2004 high capacity magazines became generally available cheap. Cost of the kit is about $400 and add the cost of the rifles to that. The 25 round stick (single stack) magazines work real well and can be found for under $20 each and will probably get cheaper. The drums shown in the picture work pretty well and hold 50 rounds (and look cool)."

Regards,

Sapper

drums2.jpg

drums4.jpg

gg2.jpg

Edited by Sapper

must not be too great if the grips were broke off in that last pic...? ;)

Nah, that grip is solid milled aluminum, it'd take some concerted effort to break it. Looks like somebody just improvised an electrical-tape grip because the factory grip is pretty uncomfortable.

I had one of these setups for a while. 10/22 rifles are made to be fired from the shoulder - with the magazine on the underside of the weapon pointing toward the earth. Reliability issues, mostly related to the magazine, happen when you turn the rifle sideways. The factory 10-round magazines worked just fine, but 20 rounds zips right by with that setup (4 shots for every rotation of the crank). I've never had much luck with the promag drums, and they're outrageously expensive, especially for their iffy reliability. I had poor luck with the ramline 50-round double-stack magazines. I had a moderate amount of luck with my tactical innovations magazines, but even those did not reliably feed the gatling gun. Maybe if you inserted some spacers to tighten up the magazine wells you might be able to get a more consistent feed angle. The second issue I had was with the right-hand rifle jamming on spent shells - the ejection port is aimed up, and sometimes a shell would find its way back into the chamber and jam the action.

If you want to spend a bunch of money and still have to tinker to get it running reliably with anything other than the factory 10-rounders, buy a gatling rig.

Otherwise, go practical :P

I'd keep an eye out for AGP arms. Their first stock looks like it's really just meant for SBRs, as there is no lower handguard - the stock ends right after the magazine well. Then again that might be the way to go. Get a 10"-12" barrel and a tax stamp. I think AGP is planning more 10/22 stuff for the future.

Can anyone tell me what I bought?? I found this on Gunbroker and thought it looked cool. It was cheap so for the price i will put it on the boys 10/22. The owner had no Idea where it came from or who the manufacturer is..

pix86366125.jpg

Edited by whitetrashrn

......No, it's not a GSG-5. That's what I thought at first, and was worried because the barrel is too short; it'd be an SBR. The magazine isn't right though. The GSG-5 magazine has slots in both sides with thumb tabs for pulling down the follower. The safety markings and buttstock are also wrong. I think that's an airsoft gun. If someone sold you that telling you that it was a dress-up kit for the 10/22, they were lying through their teeth. (Okay, I get it now, it's a bullpup stock kit.) For reference, this is a real GSG-5 carbine:

GSG5Rgt.jpg

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster

There were two versions of the GSG-5, one had that small looking fake-suppressor on it, the other had the large thick one. Many of the original GSG-5 guns with the large fake-suppressor were recalled by GSG, due to NFA violation.

Check your serial with their site: http://dealer.americantactical.us/gsg-recall

You might check the barrel length on that rifle, it looks suspiciously short... though it may be an optical illusion, due to the fake-can being so thick.

Can anyone tell me what I bought?? I found this on Gunbroker and thought it looked cool. It was cheap so for the price i will put it on the boys 10/22. The owner had no Idea where it came from or who the manufacturer is..

pix86366125.jpg

I looked around online at various mp5 conversions. I think what you have is a Kestrelfire.com ( website no longer active ) conversion. Is the mag real or faux? Other conversions i have seen are 10/22s shoehorned into airsoft bodies.