Newb Looking into the Saiga 12

Hello,

I have been a fan of the Saiga 12 for a number of years now, but have been living in the city where I am unable to shoot regularly. I now live out in the boonies and have the ability to shoot whenever I want, so I am looking into the Saiga 12. My questions are about the different configurations available. I know before the assault weapons ban expired, only the sport model was available for import into the states. Now that it has expired is it possible to buy a factory configured pistol grip Saiga, or is it still custom work only? Also, what is the best method of purchasing a Saiga? Should I just buy from the local gun store ($699 for a sportster...), buy online (gun store charges 10% FFL), try for a Gun Show or order a custom that has had the pistol grip installed?

My overall goal is to have a "tacti-cool" shotgun with pistol grip, optics, and quad rail. The rail and optics can wait, but if I purchased a Saiga in sport configuration I would definitely want to change the grips ASAP. I understand that this would require me to make the gun 922r compliant, so I was wondering if just purchasing a pre-modded Saiga would be roughly the same cost as building one myself.

There is a lot of information on the internet, but a lot of it also seems to be out of date. I just wanted to ask for 7your guys expertise to try to make sense of this process. I'm sure I want a Saiga, I'm just not sure where to start!

Thanks for your Help!

You can get'em on the net (sporter) for under $500.

Test it before converting.

It's fun to convert. Kinda like grownup legos with a bang. :D

Go for it.

I believe K-VAR is the cheapest at the moment. also, check other gun stores about the FFL charge. Mine only charges $25 + $10 background check.

ETA; Kavar.... $469.00 http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17609&cat=0&page=1

Edited by Paulyski

I just got the IZ-109 (19" saiga 12) online for $469 plus shipping and FFL. The FFL I use only charges $15 and it was $20 shipping. Also buying online saves you the tax so I only had to pay tax on the $15 FFL fee. So all told it was about $505 for the shotgun. I converted it myself using the kit from Carolina Shooting Supply which I would highly recommend. The trigger guard (CSS one) is all threaded and makes it really easy to install everything. So after that it added $139.99 to the total price. So the converted model doing it myself cost $645. From what i've seen buying an already converted on will run anything from $1,000 to $3,000 although they will do more then the simple conversion like polish all the internals and do any gas work that needs to be done.

I think its way more fun to do the conversion yourself but it boils down to what you want....

the link for the kit I used is below, if you want to know where I ordered the gun just PM me... since they are not a business member on here I don't know if I should post the site...

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-439/SAIGA-12-CONVERSION-KIT/Detail

if you want to know where I ordered the gun just PM me... since they are not a business member on here I don't know if I should post the site...

If it's K-VAR, they ARE a business member....

Post away!

http://www.k-var.com...09&cat=0&page=1

the place I got it was not.... but go with K-Var :P same price and is a business member :P

if you want to know where I ordered the gun just PM me... since they are not a business member on here I don't know if I should post the site...

If it's K-VAR, they ARE a business member....

Post away!

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17609&cat=0&page=1

I've been thinking about grabbing a couple at that price from KVar. I placed an order recently and there were a couple issues (one was their fault, one was my fault). I was completely impressed with their customer service. It had a very personal feel and didn't feel like I was dealing with a company of KVar's size. They made me more than happy.

I use a pawn shop for my FFL...they only charge $20. Other pawn shops here charge the same but are not as close. Call around.

Awesome idea about the pawn shops. I don't know why i hadn't thought about that.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll buy online and try to convert it myself down the road!

I use a pawn shop for my FFL...they only charge $20. Other pawn shops here charge the same but are not as close. Call around.

Awesome idea about the pawn shops. I don't know why i hadn't thought about that.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll buy online and try to convert it myself down the road!

I found them on gunbroker.com.....it gives you a list of FFL's and what they charge if you plug in your zip code. But many in your area may not be on there

Edited by TO THE FLOOR