I like converted rice just fine....now ready to try converted Saiga...

Hey Folks;

I've spent a lavish of time reading as much as I can about Saigas, not only here, but on other, less expert, forums as well.

And yeah, I've got a new Saiga 7.62 X 39, and am ready to convert. I'll do a yeoman's job of it, since I'm fairly handy, and have a fairly well equipped shop. But, it will serve as practice for the Saiga 12 I'll be having my local guy order in the course of the next few days.

And so, I have a question or two, that I have been unable to find specifically addressed in my reading, and with your kind permission, would like to simply ask them.

1) Why a new FCG? Does the conversion alter the dimensions of the needed trigger group, and thus a new one is required? And, even with exhaustive searching, I stil haven't found the phone number for Dinzag, in order to place an order. And too (after looking at their site), does Dinzag sell their own FCG? or must one order the TAPCO or ARSENAL products?

2) I've already added the TAPCO six position stock to my Saiga, with pistol grip. Will it be compatible with the new version? Will the pistol grip continue to fit properly?

3) And in Cross-Com (I believe it is), in info on the first page intro, it is said,"This setup removes four inches from the overall length of the gun in it's original configuration." Does this in fact, happen? And if so, from where do the four inches come? I"ve read the tutorial several times, and have managed to miss this important part of the discussion.

I do expect there will be more, but I cannot fathom a source more readily able to answer them....

Thank you! I am and remain sincerely yours,

Parson Julabee Jones

Because no actual Kalashnikov uses a 7-piece FCG. Parts 1, 3, 7, 8, 9 and 10 are the factory FCG. Most of those parts are factory-Saiga-specific, and will not work in a standard AK (or "converted" Saiga). This setup is also responsible for the horrible triggers factory Saigas are known for.

saiga556_664_a.JPG

I thought these where S12 parts not the rifle version.....

I suggest to the OP that you watch these videos before you do anything.....

Yes the trigger gets moved up so you have to replace the trigger with a USA made trigger to comply with 922r regulations......

http://www.dinzagarms.com/contact/contact.html

Because no actual Kalashnikov uses a 7-piece FCG. Parts 1, 3, 7, 8, 9 and 10 are the factory FCG. Most of those parts are factory-Saiga-specific, and will not work in a standard AK (or "converted" Saiga). This setup is also responsible for the horrible triggers factory Saigas are known for.

saiga556_664_a.JPG

No sir.

Those come in every Saiga but the .308 and Saiga 100.

Hey Folks;

My sincerest thanks for the answers to my, admittedly ignorant, questions....although, I had pretty much decided the change in length was indeed, due to a change in stock.

And I have already seen, and studied, the YouTube videos on the conversion, and am confident of being able to accomplish it in fairly short order.

However, I still need to find the contact info for Dinzag...anything on that?

Again, thanks for the info. I rightly figured you guys would know them....

PJJ

Dinzag is an amazing resource, he answers e-mails quickly, and always goes the extra-mile for Saiga converters.

Definitely go to his site, and buy from him. He sells a trigger group with the BHO mods already done, and a trigger job and polishing already done, its worth the extra $10 or so to get that setup, and be done with it forever.

As to why change out the FCG? Mainly to stay legal under 922r laws, to have enough US made parts, but also as the previous posters have stated, to put the original AK configuration back in the right place so the gun will operate better, and be better balanced.

And, look at the Cross-Conn site as a reference, but there are MANY newer writeups such as the stu-off road one, and videos that help. I watched all I could find, and printed out 3 different writeups before I did my conversion, and it was very easy. I used a cordless drill and a dremel, no vise, no drill press, and it still only took about an hour. Now I think I could do one much faster the 2nd time....

Edited by icefire

Yes the trigger gets moved up so you have to replace the trigger with a USA made trigger to comply with 922r regulations......

:lolol:

-1 for asking a questions, so many morons on this site it is ridicules...........

:lolol:

-1 for asking a questions, so many morons on this site it is ridicules...........

As is your ridicules as opposed to the appropriate ridiculous :lolol:

Hey Folks;

Well, that settles it. I now have in hand all the information I had asked for, including (thanks 308saiga) the Dinzag link, which I had indeed overlooked...

I very much appreciate the help. And while I didn't realize the cross-com link was so dated, fact is, I have pretty much a good metal shop sans a mill and/or lathe. So precision drilling, deburring, sanding and so forth are easy things for me to do. I'm ordering the FCG from Dinzag

this evening (his reply email to me mentioned needing a pistol grip and stock, but I already have those installed on the gun). I intend to check into the welding links on the cross-com site, and see if I'd be better off to mig weld those places he mentions, ie., the trigger guard connection under the mag release bracket.

Watching the videos makes it appear the conversion is straightforward. I just did a trigger job on my Kel-Tec SU16-C, and I can state emphatically, that the AK trigger group is a much simpler set up, and much easier to deal with, than is the Kel-Tec.

As to mag conversions, from AK to Saiga, I recently took a used TAPCO AK47 magazine, and trimmed off the areas that kept the magazine from easily snapping into position. However, the rounds would strike the bottom of the chamber, and not rise into the barrel. A small build-up job with J-B Weld fixed that pronto, and now I have two American made (Saiga and Tapco) 30 round mags, which I suppose would help in my compliance issues.

Anyhow, once again, my sincerest thanks!

I am and remain sincerely yours,

Parson Julabee Jones

308saiga;

Yeah, naturally I bought the wrong stock....so that's another item I'll have to deal with. However, I feel it will be worth the effort (which, since my labor is worth very little, is minimal) and the money.

I just need to order the parts and get going.

Thanks again!

PJJ

Edited by PJJ
  • 1 month later...

308saiga;

Yeah, naturally I bought the wrong stock....so that's another item I'll have to deal with. However, I feel it will be worth the effort (which, since my labor is worth very little, is minimal) and the money.

I just need to order the parts and get going.

Thanks again!

PJJ

Just wondering if you've finished your conversion and what it looks like. I'm waiting on my 7.62 to show up and I'll be doing my first conversion hopefully by the end of the year. Gonna buy parts as I get money and my wife required me to buy a gun safe asap for me to talk her into letting me get the gun. Gotta love women.... I'd love to see what yours ended up looking like though!

One thing i see missing here, for good reason too,

some forum members here won't even admit it, or even talk about it.

is the sickness one gets from handling the saiga wrapping papers,

and the odd gas released when drilling the Russian special hardened steel trigger guard, and other rivets.

These combined cause an irreversible effect on the person involved.

They get Saiga fever,.. the symptoms are severe,. because you can't just have one.