Pleasant surprise!!

First time post, long time lurker.

I recently bought a used 7.62 from a local gunshop. It was basically original stock condition, with the addition of a telescoping stock.

Upon buying it, I was bitten hard by the conversion bug. You know, things like trigger/guard conversion, flash hider, AK handguards, etc.....

So, I ordered FCG, trigger guard, flash hider, tap and TAT for threading, and other things.

Got them in today, and first thing I did was use tubing cutter to cut shroud off of barrel in front of sight block. Took five minutes, and, WOW, I GOT THREADS!!!

post-26601-049018900 1284167909_thumb.jpg

post-26601-074127400 1284167977_thumb.jpg

Did not have any Goop on threads. They were pristine. Muzzle brake threaded on, and tightened up perfectly aligned. What luck.

Next, I relocated FCG and trigger guard. No trouble there until I started reassembly. Hammer axis pin would not push all the way in. It lacked about 1/16" of the head being flush with the receiver. After quite a bit of head scratching, found out that hammer pin bosses were .066" wider than original Saiga hammer. This was a Tapco G2 hammer. Figured that it was made for a rifle without the hold-open arm as in the Saiga.

I ground off about .065" off right side (next to hold-open arm) and all was good. Finished assembly, tested all functions and put rifle back together.

Now, where the hell are my new gas tube and handguards???

Can't wait to get this baby finished. Thinking about blonde furniture later.

Thanks to all the contributors on this (and other) forum for all the information and ideas.

You really lucked out on the factory threads! Very good find though. :D

Is yours an 09 mfg. by chance?

Yes, date on factory acceptance papers is 27 Feb 2009. Receiver is also stamped 09.

Additionally, barrel also has the milled slots under the handguard. From what I have previously read, 09 Mfr. date, and these slots and a couple of other things I don't remember can be an indication of a threaded barrel.

I could see the beginning of threads on the 02/2009 rifle that I bought last month, so it wasn't a surprise to me when I cut off the cover yesterday.

Mine was covered in tan "goop" that resembled dried mud or thin clay. The wire brush on my Dremel took most of it off and the 14x1 die cleaned the rest of it off like it wasn't there.

I got the 14x1 die so I can thread the barrel all the way up to the front sight block.

First time post, long time lurker.

I recently bought a used 7.62 from a local gunshop. It was basically original stock condition, with the addition of a telescoping stock.

Upon buying it, I was bitten hard by the conversion bug. You know, things like trigger/guard conversion, flash hider, AK handguards, etc.....

So, I ordered FCG, trigger guard, flash hider, tap and TAT for threading, and other things.

Got them in today, and first thing I did was use tubing cutter to cut shroud off of barrel in front of sight block. Took five minutes, and, WOW, I GOT THREADS!!!

post-26601-049018900 1284167909_thumb.jpg

post-26601-074127400 1284167977_thumb.jpg

Did not have any Goop on threads. They were pristine. Muzzle brake threaded on, and tightened up perfectly aligned. What luck.

Next, I relocated FCG and trigger guard. No trouble there until I started reassembly. Hammer axis pin would not push all the way in. It lacked about 1/16" of the head being flush with the receiver. After quite a bit of head scratching, found out that hammer pin bosses were .066" wider than original Saiga hammer. This was a Tapco G2 hammer. Figured that it was made for a rifle without the hold-open arm as in the Saiga.

I ground off about .065" off right side (next to hold-open arm) and all was good. Finished assembly, tested all functions and put rifle back together.

Now, where the hell are my new gas tube and handguards???

Can't wait to get this baby finished. Thinking about blonde furniture later.

Thanks to all the contributors on this (and other) forum for all the information and ideas.

no fair! when i cut my ugly saiga brake thing off there were no threads under there,your lucky! congrats and good luck with your project.

Edited by freddy g

My 09 had all the good features. (threads, handguard notches, No step barrel, etc.) Guess Late feb-March 09 were a good batch!!

Nice!

From what I've heard some of the 09 Saigas in 39 got the standard more military style AK barrel because they ran out of sporter ones. :lol: If/when I ever find an 09 Saiga still all stock with the threads and notch and all that good stuff I'm gonna snatch it up, I've been wanting to do my own proper 39 conversion. :smoke: