HK style front sight crooked

OK I will accept full responsibility for this, but help me out in understanding what happened. Being a machinist by trade I made a nice jig to hold the front sight and the Saiga 12 gas block. It has 3 pins all in line with eachother. All pins are a slip fit, but a snug one. As I said, the pins are completely in line with eachother. I used my fixture to weld on the HK style sight and when it came off and was installed on the gun, the sight was canted off to the left probably about 5 degrees. What gives? Can anyone explain why this happened? :sick:

I believe everyone who has installed this type of sight has had a similar experence.

The top cover does'nt fit square, the gas block even if it's square looks off, it seems like the barrel is not parrallel with the reciever. Agh!! :eyes_droped:

I usually square up the gas block to the reciever, then tweek the top cover to fit correctly or as best possible. I then place the rear sight on and align with reciever, then set front sight and check with laser. Then tac on rear, check with laser, tac on front and check again. Also depending on your attachment design, rosette weld vs bead on out side, as you weld it can pull to one side or the other.

Unfortunatly for most enthuiast, if you could install dozens you gain experience and the installation gets better and better.

Never give up, and don't be too hard on yourself's, doing it yourself makes this project very rewarding and pushes people to learn and gain new found skills!! :exciting:

Edited by saigatechusa

The top cover does'nt fit square, the gas block even if it's square looks off, it seems like the barrel is not parrallel with the reciever. Agh!! :eyes_droped:

The barrel, receiver, trunion, top cover and everything else on the gun is not square or parrallel with anything. Jigging the front sight up never works worth a shit. It's best to just eye-fuck it from the rear.....at least that way, the front sight LOOKS straight to the shooter.

No one gives a shit if the sight is square with the barrel, square with the trunion, square with the receiver, or whatever.....if it doesn't LOOK straight, you're fucked.

Put your first tack weld directly dead center on the front of the sight, right below the roll pin. Then pull it down in the rear and tack one corner. Then lay a bead on the opposite side and go back and finish the weld on the other side.

Tony

The barrel, receiver, trunion, top cover and everything else on the gun is not square or parrallel with anything. Jigging the front sight up never works worth a shit. It's best to just eye-fuck it from the rear.....at least that way, the front sight LOOKS straight to the shooter.

No one gives a shit if the sight is square with the barrel, square with the trunion, square with the receiver, or whatever.....if it doesn't LOOK straight, you're fucked.

Put your first tack weld directly dead center on the front of the sight, right below the roll pin. Then pull it down in the rear and tack one corner. Then lay a bead on the opposite side and go back and finish the weld on the other side.

Tony

"It's best to just eye-fuck it from the rear." uhhhhhhhhhhhh...... Do what?

Edited by saigatechusa

heh... I basicly eye fucked mine.

I used the existing krebs sights that were shooting straight and were based on the factory sights to align the new front sight.

I've got a pretty good eye apparently, and without adjusting the sights at all shoots slugs about 1-2" to the right of what I aim for at 50 yards. Someday I'll get around to correcting that.