I've got the close-mid range role well-covered with a SGL21, (7.62x39), now I'd like a true battle rifle effective out to ~800yrds. For this application, the .308 cartridge has proven itself and one of the best platforms for it seems to be a semi-auto M-14 variant or Springfield M1A.

I've recently started researching all the options along those lines, and from what I can tell, the many different SA M1A models seem to be a solid choice, but they are not ideal in a few ways, (e.g. they don't use chromed barrels or forged parts anymore). I've found a few other "premium" choices out there and I'm interested in the feedback of our more experienced forum members on how these compare to the Springfields and how much difference the extra mil-spec features really make. :unsure:

The first model I'm heavily considering is the SA M1A Scout Squad. The 18" barrel appeals to me for better maneuverability and lighter weight, (~4" is a big difference). These are also current models and don't seem to be too rare, so it might be possible to get a good deal, (~$1400 or less), on one with a little patience. One of the best selling points for Springfield's rifles is the lifetime warranties they offer. That could potentially be worth quite a bit.

The next would be a Springfield "Collector Edition" model MA9103. These appear to be a short-run model produced from '02-'03, and have USGI chromed barrels and USGI military stocks, with perhaps some more forged USGI parts as well, (hard to find a definitive answer on that). They have the original 22" barrel used on M-14's. I've found em for ~$1750 and up, so they're definitely a bit pricier, but the higher-quality barrel might be worth it. These would also have SA's lifetime warranty, (even more important for a gun with this pricetag).

Another more mil-spec, premium rifle I've found are those that James River Armory offers. Here is their general description:

This is the closest production Semi Auto Civilian M14 to the USGI M14 ever produced.

1. Receiver is Forged and fully machined in Cleveland using original TRW prints and with the assistance of a retired TRW production manager who manufactured the original M14’s in the early 1960’s.

2. Criterion Chrome lined NM barrel. There is no better made or higher quality standard GI contour barrel made. The Best!

3. New production forged bolt.

4. All other parts are excellent condition, refinished USGI. When these run out we are setting up manufacture in the US for the needed components. No Shortcuts!

5. Professionally refinished excellent condition USGI walnut or heavy birch stock. These look new.

6. Dummy selector lock to fill the stock “hole” customer can epoxy into stock. Gives “GI” appearance to rifle.

They also make a "CAR-14" version with a new Criterion 18" chromed barrel, new forged receiver and bolt, USGI parts, and composite stock. They sell for about the same price, (~$1899). This model is the most appealing semi-auto .308 rifle to me of any I've seen, except the price and short warranty.

These rifles look great and seem to have most of the best features that the M-14 "purists" and true afficionados heavily promote, but of course JRA is a relatively new, small company and they only offer a 1 yr warranty.

And then, there are of course the "Crazy Horse" ultra-premium models and the higher end National Match Springfield models, but those aren't really an option for me; I don't plan to do enough competitive shooting to make those even remotely worth the price.

Thoughts?

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I just shot an Appleseed with my SA Scout Squad, close to 700 rounds in 2 days of German DAG mil-surp without a hitch. I've also got a SOCOM II and a NM, I've had the SOCOM to the range a couple of times, but have not as yet fired the first round through the NM. I'm a big fan of the .308 and have quite a few rifles in that caliber, including a 600m SOF match single shot based on a Rem 700 action and a PALMA rifle based on a Rem 40x. I don't have much experience beyond the Springfields, but they are fine rifles and both the SOCOM and the Scout Squad have demonstrated excellent accuracy in spite of the short barrels.

From what I understand the Russian ammo (cheap) is a big no-no in the M14. Thats one of the main reasons I stay away from the M14. I cant afford to buy expansive ammo just to put holes in paper. Your situation may vary.

spr_sa9131.jpg

Springfield M21 Tactical Rifle, Krieger SS Barrel, Adjustable Stock

Been thinking very hard and drooling over this gun for awhile. Hope to have enough to purchase it and some glass with this year's tax return.

I would insert a drool emoticon here, but it doesn't seem to be in the queue.

Edited by Stansplace

spr_sa9131.jpg

Springfield M21 Tactical Rifle, Krieger SS Barrel, Adjustable Stock

Been thinking very hard and drooling over this gun for awhile. Hope to have enough to purchase it and some glass with this year's tax return.

im sorry, i see you typing a post but all i see is AVATAR AVATAR AVATAR.

• Like 1

When I had to choose, I went with the DSA FAL STG 58. Its just as accurate as a standered M1A (2-3moa with surplus), more reliable, and a hell of a lot more battle tested and proven. Plus its sexy as hell!

The M1A does have better sights though.

With that being said I still love and want a M1A and Im actually saving for one now.

post-27192-011385100 1286136302_thumb.jpg

Edited by GREYLUPO