Thinking of doing a 7.62x39 conversion

So I have been gone a while. I am thinking of buying and converting a Saiga 7.62x39 carbine which is for sale NIB for about $400 locally. I did a conversion on a Saiga .308 a couple of years ago and that was pretty easy. My main question is are there any new things to worry about with a 7.62x39 rifle? Do I have to do feed ramps (remember seeing something about that long ago) ? Does anyone have any experience with the polymer magazines offered for sale at Centerfire Systems and are they compliant? I already know about 922r and figure to change out butt stock, trigger group and add pistol grip. This way if I pick up US made magazines I should be good to go. I appreciate any advice about hick-ups I may run into along the way. Thanks in advance.

Going to need bullet guide (aka feed ramp).. CSS has them for $20..

Other than that.. yes very easy..

Thanks. Yeah, I figured on the bullet guide. Will have to go through the videos and FAQs again to refresh my memory. Probably have to get a new safety too, or get my neighbor to weld up the one on the gun to make it safe. Luckily I have one conversion under the belt already.

That's right, Saigas only have 15 parts don't they. I keep forgetting, keep thinking regular AK. But adding pistol grip increase part count, hmm. Ah, US made mags won't hurt if I can find reliable ones. Will see, still have to get the gun first. AM only in the planning stages right now. I am thinking of OD green as far as the furniture goes, already have too many coyote tan and black rifles. It will be a fun project for the dank and dark winter months.

Edited by Saigaczech

That's right, Saigas only have 15 parts don't they. I keep forgetting, keep thinking regular AK. But adding pistol grip increase part count, hmm. Ah, US made mags won't hurt if I can find reliable ones. Will see, still have to get the gun first. AM only in the planning stages right now. I am thinking of OD green as far as the furniture goes, already have too many coyote tan and black rifles. It will be a fun project for the dank and dark winter months.

No.

Saiga rifles have 14 parts from the factory.

You're adding a pistol grip which counts as a part, so we're at 15.

Since the FCG = 3, a butt stock and pistol grip make 2, it sounds like you're at 10 foreign parts and can use any magazine.

The 922r laws (along with parts counts) are linked from the front page.

• Like 1

The minor difference between S308 and S7.62 conversion is that S7.62 has a couple of extra axis pins, which you have to "decap" and remove, leaving your with four holes in the receiver. These holes can either be used to mount an internal receiver block for an Ace style stock or filled, either by welding, screws or just black nylon plugs.