Stripped threads for bullet guide -- rivet??

So, I stripped my first trunnion bullet guide hole. :rolleyes: The last conversion went great, this one not so much. I could get a new tap and try to thread it larger, or maybe put a nut on the other side, but at this point I'm tempted to drill out the hole and use a rivet.

I'm worried even if I shim up under the trunnion, I'll bend the receiver in the press or worse, shear off one of the other rivets. Has anyone tried riveting a bullet guide in without removing the front trunnion completely? Any tricks? Any other suggestions?

Thanks...

To hell with riveting it. That's the way the eastern bloc does everything. We bolt shit. ;)

If you used a 6-32 tap and screw the first time, you could always drill and tap for use with a 8-32, but a better option is to just use a longer 6-32, and bolt it in place with a nut under the trunnion. There is plenty of space between the bottom of the receiver and the bottom of the trunnion to get a nut, washer, lock washer, whatever makes you feel comfortable with it. It's not a moving part, so there isn't a very high likelihood that it will loosen on you, but since it will stop the gun from running if the screw backs out, I like to put some blue loctite on it.

I riveted mine with a homemade rivet. It never crossed my mind of bending the receiver, I suppose it could happen, but if the rivet is that hard, you should find another material to do it with.

Of course I also hammered my rivet by hand and didn't use a press for it.

Thanks guys. Someone also suggesting drilling a hole through the bottom of the receiver to support the rivet while pressing it (and hey, it's not like there aren't already some holes to fill).

Some good options. Still noodling but will probably rivet, maybe by hand.

Thanks guys. Someone also suggesting drilling a hole through the bottom of the receiver to support the rivet while pressing it (and hey, it's not like there aren't already some holes to fill).

No need to drill anything (haven't you already fu****d it up enough with the drill? nyahnyah.gif )

I used steel wedges between the trunnion and receiver and hand-hammered this into place:

saiga556_658.JPG

You'll want the rivet head to be on the bottom, with the shaft coming up through the hole in the trunnion and the hole in the bullet guide. At that point, you can get happy with your ball peen hammer and punch. . . .

Yeah, it's ugly - but it works just fine :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No need to drill anything (haven't you already fu****d it up enough with the drill? nyahnyah.gif )

I used steel wedges between the trunnion and receiver and hand-hammered this into place:

saiga556_658.JPG

You'll want the rivet head to be on the bottom, with the shaft coming up through the hole in the trunnion and the hole in the bullet guide. At that point, you can get happy with your ball peen hammer and punch. . . .

Yeah, it's ugly - but it works just fine :)

My kind of innovation...

Nice Naolith! I was figuring wedges/shims underneath would work--good to see someone has done it successfully.

For now, I ended up re-threading it and using a slightly larger screw, which worked great. I *will* get around to riveting though...