Questions about Left Side Charging...

Hey guys, I wanted to ask a few questions (already tried a search here) about left side charging my S12. I originally was going to do something different. For shits and giggles make a top "T" charging S12, similar to a Mac 10. Then I realized the "T" would be in my sight picture, which wouldn't work. So now I am going to do a left side charger.

Few questions because I have people telling me different things...

1) When you cut out the slot in the dust cover, have you guys noticed the dust cover wobbling because there isn't enough contact to keep it solidly in place?

2) Is drill and tapping the best way to install the CH?

3) Is this a permanent thing? As in I won't have to worry about it coming off (granted the welder knows what he's doing, etc)?

4) Tony, why did you discontinue your skull...haha. I would really like to have one now!!!! (just giving you some crap)

Thanks in advance for all the input.

Top charging S12 could be interesting. Would't be too hard to fabricate it from a knurled cobray m11 charging handle similar to the one noliath posted to be an integrated sight as well as a charging handle. Just have to be sure it's mounted solid. Wouldn't want that thing coming off as the bolt flies back and shooting into your eye.

Quick photoshop job:

post-7122-082638000 1286811058_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, I wanted to ask a few questions (already tried a search here) about left side charging my S12. I originally was going to do something different. For shits and giggles make a top "T" charging S12, similar to a Mac 10. Then I realized the "T" would be in my sight picture, which wouldn't work. So now I am going to do a left side charger.

Few questions because I have people telling me different things...

1) When you cut out the slot in the dust cover, have you guys noticed the dust cover wobbling because there isn't enough contact to keep it solidly in place?

2) Is drill and tapping the best way to install the CH?

3) Is this a permanent thing? As in I won't have to worry about it coming off (granted the welder knows what he's doing, etc)?

4) Tony, why did you discontinue your skull...haha. I would really like to have one now!!!! (just giving you some crap)

Thanks in advance for all the input.

I would drill and tig weld it. If you tapped it you could make it less permanent but you would also have to stake it or something to prevent it from unscrewing. (somebody will say just use locktite, and you should, but you can't depend on that with all of the shock and g-forces)

If you get rid of the right side charging handle, then you can close up the dust cover on that side to get it stable again.

Here is what I did.

Groved out the bolt carrier then welded in the MP5 charging handle on the S-12

On my 223 I used the old gas piston with a slight angle up.

I haven't shot the weapons yet so I can't say how things are going to hold up.

I did bang on them with a BFH and the welds didn't break...lol

post-19827-038488700 1286830518_thumb.jpg

post-19827-006349400 1286830536_thumb.jpg

post-19827-054277400 1286830562_thumb.jpg

post-19827-052194500 1286830932_thumb.jpg

Edited by RLTW

i like the angle idea, thats slick. i imagine you would have to cut a little higher in the receiver cover for the angled handle right?

i say do a top charged integrated sight build, that would be sweet!

Edited by big-J

Thanks for all the input guys. I don't know what to do.

RLTW- Does your dust cover sit solid on it or does it wobble?

I took a vid... If you can't see it PM me your email address and I will send you the full size.

It moves alittle you can see at the spring, take a look at yours and see how much the cover moves compared to mine. :eek:

I had seen someone take a small piece of metal and wrap the lower part of the rear cover to eliminate any woble. I think it was here in this forum or maybe calguns.

S12 Left Side Charging Handle_0001.wmv