Traditional AK Saiga 12

Can the Saiga 12 have the traditional looking handguards? Basically i want my shotgun to look like an AK-103... is that possible? Im getting another Saiga 7.62x39 and i want plastic furniture. Is KVAR the only company that makes plastic furniture?

dinzag does great work- my 12 is using normal wood thanks to him. You also get the leaf sight if you go his way. The kvar RPK handguards are an affordable way for an authenticish feel.. I just don't like Kvar anymore due to their politics.

Can the Saiga 12 have the traditional looking handguards? Basically i want my shotgun to look like an AK-103... is that possible? Im getting another Saiga 7.62x39 and i want plastic furniture. Is KVAR the only company that makes plastic furniture?

I just spent the last 2 weeks figuring out what it'd cost to go that route. For the price it will cost me to convert the entire shot gun with my new plan I would have spent the same amount just on the hanguard and gas tube set up. If you feel like spending $500 on a $300 shotty and then decking it out with another $500 for conversion parts you're not spending enough money but this seems to be the place to come to remedy any "extra" cash flow problems you might have.:lolol:

@ Volkov - What kind of KVAR politics are going on? Anything worth swaying a possible customer? He hasn't screwed anyone over or anything have they? I can gladly take my business else where if there is shady business going on.

@ Fumes - Im telling you... i own 2 1911's. Those are money pits in themselves. I already have my S-12 and im getting a Saiga 7.62x39 as soon as my buddie pays me for the R870 i sold him. I'll be out of money for the next 6 months!

It sounds like it might be too much of a pain in the... WALLET! I guess ill look into a foregrip that fits the factory setup without modification. Oh well, ill convert my x39 to look like the AK-103 and be happy with it... until i save up more money~

If you dont mind me askin... what did you end up deciding on?

I just spent the last 2 weeks figuring out what it'd cost to go that route. For the price it will cost me to convert the entire shot gun with my new plan I would have spent the same amount just on the hanguard and gas tube set up. If you feel like spending $500 on a $300 shotty and then decking it out with another $500 for conversion parts you're not spending enough money but this seems to be the place to come to remedy any "extra" cash flow problems you might have.:lolol:

@ Volkov - What kind of KVAR politics are going on? Anything worth swaying a possible customer? He hasn't screwed anyone over or anything have they? I can gladly take my business else where if there is shady business going on.

@ Fumes - Im telling you... i own 2 1911's. Those are money pits in themselves. I already have my S-12 and im getting a Saiga 7.62x39 as soon as my buddie pays me for the R870 i sold him. I'll be out of money for the next 6 months!

It sounds like it might be too much of a pain in the... WALLET! I guess ill look into a foregrip that fits the factory setup without modification. Oh well, ill convert my x39 to look like the AK-103 and be happy with it... until i save up more money~

No. They are very reputable and their products are top notch, I have several parts from them before I learned they support Harry Reid. Thats enough for me to go elsewhere. Still will buy their parts second hand, but no longer interested in giving them business.

edit: another recomendation I have involves using only the ak-100 lower (hollowed out to fit) with a modified retainer, then slap one of cobra's heat vents on the upper- looks good. Someone did it in wood.. and I know pauly has a version without the heat vents.. heres a link

http://forum.saiga-12.com/uploads/gallery/1262332203/gallery_19652_3_226015.jpg

Edited by volkov

If you dont mind me askin... what did you end up deciding on?

I'm not gonna say til I post a pic and thats about $600 away.:lolol:

I like the Dinzag gas tube mod, to me it completed my S12.

I did the original conversion and dropped in Dinzags mod, Keith at Tac47 installed the magwell and side folder. VERY happy with the parts and work involved, Dinzag makes great stuff and Keith does great work.

I was never into shotguns but this one has run so well over the past 2 years that I end up shooting it more than anything else I take to the range.

NinerRiderS12Air02.JPG

S12_Rakurz_Right.JPG

Z

I like the Dinzag gas tube mod, to me it completed my S12.

I did the original conversion and dropped in Dinzags mod, Keith at Tac47 installed the magwell and side folder. VERY happy with the parts and work involved, Dinzag makes great stuff and Keith does great work.

I was never into shotguns but this one has run so well over the past 2 years that I end up shooting it more than anything else I take to the range.

NinerRiderS12Air02.JPG

S12_Rakurz_Right.JPG

Z

Love those russian optics!!! Lookin Goooooodddd!! Your guns inspires me every time I look at them. :exciting:

Edited by saigatechusa

@TX-ZEN - your shotgun is beautiful! thats exactly how i want mine to look. I would probably opt for a non-folding stock, but that is one of the best looking saiga 12's i have seen! if you dont mind me asking, what was the cost of your gas tube mod? I have emailed Dinzag and im waiting on a reply, patience was never one of my strong suits :P If i read correctly i would have to ship him my saiga for fitting? Are you happy with the mag mod? Which Pistol grip did you go with? Im looking for one alittle fatter than the traditional AK grip. However i dont know where to go to be able to feel them... Theres a big gunshow in december out here in phoenix that im hoping to buy anything i might still need for my conversion.

Thanks!

The Dinzag gas tube mod was about $240 IIRC, but I paid for it like 2 or 3 years ago and I know prices have gone up all over the place. I didn't have to send him the whole S12 but you do have to send your gas tube and rear sight block to him, he takes those and modifies them to the proper AK configuration and then mails them back. That means you'll have to press your gas block forward, take the tube and rear sight block out and then ship it to him. Reinstallation is easy just drop it in and press the gas block back into place. I did mine with a hammer and a torch to heat the block. Too a little time but it was easy.

Magwell mod is great and I couldn't be happier with it. It's Russian which is what I was after and it runs well. Not cheap though, mags run over $120 if you can find them but you can mod US mags to work with the Russian magwell too.

You'll like the pistol grip, its the fat Izhmash version for the S12. It's kind of like the SAW grip in your hand, feels great. They run about $60ish and are pretty rare but they are out there.

I had a lot of fun building this S12 into what it is, took over a year to scrounge all the parts up and I had to do a lot of dope dealing. It was definately an adventure.

Fortunately these days a lot of parts are much more common, I think if I were to do the same project again I'd have it all put together in a few weeks.

Z