Muzzle Brake Decision

I've been following this forum for awhile now, and I finally received my 16" Saiga today. I've been planning my conversion and other mods for the rifle, with the SGM muzzle brake being one of them. Just my luck, the rifle I got has a FSB that is flush with the muzzle. :angry:

So as it stands now, no SGM brake for me. I've sifted through the forums, and I can't figure out if there is an easy (or even possible) way to knock the FSB back the required 3/16" (it appears that there is a 3/16" tapered part of the barrel between the back of the FSB and the thicker part of the barrel).

Is this possible to do, or am I better off writing a check out to the gunsmith and having it threaded for a different brake? What would you do?

You have the same FSB as I did..

Please read this thread from the beginning..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=56854

You can rent the threading kit from DinZag for $30 ($30 deposit).. and at the same time send him the FSB to be 'bored' out.. Its like another $30..

You can then thread your own barrel.. and by the time you send back his tap/tat he will more than likely have your FSB on the way back to you..

You then just PIN it back on.. :super:

Al

You have the same FSB as I did..

Please read this thread from the beginning..

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=56854

You can rent the threading kit from DinZag for $30 ($30 deposit).. and at the same time send him the FSB to be 'bored' out.. Its like another $30..

You can then thread your own barrel.. and by the time you send back his tap/tat he will more than likely have your FSB on the way back to you..

You then just PIN it back on.. :super:

Al

Wow... That really came together well for you. Janis looks SEXY :up:

I love a good project but with my wedding coming up in two weeks, the Mrs. might not sympathize with my FSB issues for awhile... if you catch my drift. I have access to a shop, though the tool selection isn't the greatest. I checked Dinzag's tools out (have FCG and conversion kit coming from him as we speak) but it looks like he's done with the rental stuff. Looks like he's out of the 17 x 1 kits too...

If I do get my hands on the tools, how much time do you think you put in on yours? Do you feel that the pin is necessary to keep the brake seated?

Thanks for the link... A lot of great info there

I pinned the Brake as I go into NJ to shoot and Brakes have to be pinned or welded... :cryss:

Here is the link to have DinZag bore the FSB..

http://www.dinzagarm...308/308fsb.html

I'd email him (Brian) and ask if he has any leftover 17x1 kits you could buy that may still be usable.. :smoke:

dinzzag@yahoo.com

He has the 17x1 to 24mm adaptors for $.. there just not listed on his site.. (again email)

Threading was about 30 minutes... Then just screwed the BRAKE on..

Further time was about 20-30 minutes to SET it.. and drill and pin it...

The FSB alignment was 30 minutes of debating twist left or right... :lolol:

If Brian does your FSB work.. he sends you the drill bits need to drill the 2nd new notch into your barrel.. 3mm bit... and smaller bit to start....

I used a straight edge and centered up with the FSB..

I run GLASS only so the irons are a backup for me.. :super:

Latest pic of Janis..

post-8775-070665400 1287229619_thumb.jpg

Al

Edited by YWHIC
  • 2 weeks later...

I have come across this brake, http://www.nokick.com/PWS_FSC_47_p/pws%20fsc-47.htm. Anyone have any firsthand knowledge on whether this would work on my 308? It says it's exit hole is sized for a 7.62x39. Wouldn't that work for the 7.62x51?

post-22258-088246200 1287947837_thumb.jpg

It should work, as far as the "exit" hole, but this brake is threaded for 14x1 mm LH threads (standard AKM). You would have to turn the barrel down on your S308 a bit too much for my tastes, in order to be able to thread it to that size. Primary Weapon System has a very similar brake for 5/8"x24 muzzle threads, which is the AR10 standard and is better suited for Saiga 308s. Here it is:

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=37&idcategory=6

I have come across this brake, http://www.nokick.com/PWS_FSC_47_p/pws%20fsc-47.htm. Anyone have any firsthand knowledge on whether this would work on my 308? It says it's exit hole is sized for a 7.62x39. Wouldn't that work for the 7.62x51?

post-22258-088246200 1287947837_thumb.jpg

It should work, as far as the "exit" hole, but this brake is threaded for 14x1 mm LH threads (standard AKM). You would have to turn the barrel down on your S308 a bit too much for my tastes, in order to be able to thread it to that size. Primary Weapon System has a very similar brake for 5/8"x24 muzzle threads, which is the AR10 standard and is better suited for Saiga 308s. Here it is:

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=37&idcategory=6

Thanks, I'll check that out.

http://primaryweapon...37&idcategory=6

This is the one I decided to go with. If you've got the .671 OD barrel under your FSB, Dinzag can probably thread the PWS FSC-30 for 17x1. He's gonna be sending me some tools for the project as soon as I can get my brake and FSB to him. Only one problem at the moment, I can't seem to drive the pins out! :angry:

I've tried whacking on em with a hammer and a pin punch, but they're not budging. Any ideas?

try letting them soak in WD40.. I didn't have to on mine but its an idea.. also tap them FROM the bolt handle side to the no bolt side..

Al

Ha... The way the pins looked on that side had me thinking otherwise. My logic sucks :ded:

Rd 2 tomorrow!

Edited by majorB

Only one problem at the moment, I can't seem to drive the pins out! :angry:I've tried whacking on em with a hammer and a pin punch, but they're not budging. Any ideas?

Using a propane torch (MAPP is better; hotter), with a tip that give a single pointy flame; heat only the FSB above the pin holes, a bit away from the pins; the idea is to not heat the pins and the barrel as much as possible; the intent is to cause the thermal expansion of the metal to concentrate on one half-side (the "top" side here) of the pine holes; heating evenly on both L&r sides; after a while try occasionally to knock pin through with a correctly sized drift pin punch; heat more as needed; there is no likelihood that the metal will be harmed by this.

Isn't there a company that I could send my S308 to, to have this, http://primaryweapon...37&idcategory=6 added onto it? I'm not much into gunsmithing.

After I couldn't get the FSB off the rifle by myself, I had a local gunsmith do everything for me. He removed the FSB, shortened the barrel by 2 inches, added a 9 degree target crown, turned the barrel down to the right diameter, threaded it for 5/8"x24, bored out the FSB and reinstalled it. It cost me $140. I'm rather happy with the way it turned out.

Try to find a local gunsmith who deals with "black rifles".

No luck... Pins won't budge, even after oiling, heating, and bringing the house down on them. Seems like a gunsmith is the only option for me at this point. Hope others have an easier time than I did. It couldn't have just been 3/16" back?!

Edited by majorB
  • 2 weeks later...

Gave it one last try with a 5lb sledgehammer, and I'm back in business! Once you get the pins cracked, it's smooth sailing. As for pulling off the FSB, I had a pretty easy time with it. I sprayed down both edges of the FSB with some gun oil, firmed it up in a vice, and spun/pulled it off while gripping the stock.

FSB and Comp sent off to Dinzag for mods, and tools should be coming my way soon :super:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. I've since had a wedding and a honeymoon, so sneaking away with the rifle has been tough.

Here's what I ended up with...

img_0529Modified.jpg

img_0528-1.jpg

img_0519.jpg

Going into this, I was thinking that I bit off more than I could chew, but it actually went pretty well. I can't thank Dinzag enough, and seriously recommend you check him out if you're considering this. I felt like a pain in the ass bothering him with questions that came up, but he's great to work with.

The only issue I ran into was drilling the new pin holes for the FSB. The brake went back too far, so I wasn't able to use the original rear slot. Because of this, I had to dremel the inside of the FSB to slide it back and in the process I made it a little too loose. I pinned the FSB in place with a vice, and built up the courage to trust that I had it centered and not canted. It took awhile....

After re-pinning, the FSB had a little play to it and would rock slightly to one side. I could have gone up a drill size and used bigger pins, but instead I decided to try smearing some red loctite under the FSB. I don't think it's going to be moving on me anymore.

Thanks YWHIC for the suggestion! This is the exact setup I wanted... Couldn't be happier.

majorB.. came out VERY sharp.. :smoke:

You can always dig up some bigger pins.. (just in case)...

I had to go a little deeper on mine also.. because of the BRAKE depth.. luckily I had DinZag 'bore' the Brake an extra smidge (and didn't need to dremel it myself)... and also had '2nd pin' issues.. (thats when I drilled my leg :cryss:)

Congrats and have a blast..

Al

Edited by YWHIC