Winchester 1145 fps loads

Anyone ever shot Win 2 3/4"-1 1/16 oz-7 1/2shot 1145 FPS loads in their Saiga 12 on #2 setting? I have a chance to pick some up cheap. Just need to know if they'll cycle.

Thanks,

Jim Outlaw

that really depends on your setup. most stock saigas will not cycle that light of a load. (mine will :devil: )

• Like 1

Mine will cycle Estate 1135fps target loads, but only after bolt polish/re-profile and internal polishing, a JTE reduced power mainspring and a Gunfixer plug on setting 3. Now I think she'll eat up just about anything I'll feed her.000.gif

"Out of the box" S-12s will not typically cycle that weak of a load. You'll most likely have to do quite a bit of work to the gun to get it to cycle that ammo. My S-12 had a reduced tension main spring, reduced tension recoil spring, profiled and polish bolt, polished bolt carrier, internal polishing and gunfixer on setting 3, and it wouldn't reliably cycle Winchester Universal (8 shot, 1200 FPS).

You'd be better off going to Walmart and buy the 100 round bulk pack of Federal for $23.00+ tax.

Edit: My S-12 is a 3 port gun with all ports fully exposed.

Edited by Bridis

I've shot those through mine. while the gun was cold (first couple of mags) I experienced about 4 out of 10 FTE's on #2 setting with a US made gas piston. After about 30 rounds they were cycling through like a hot knife through warm butter. I imagine putting a low brass reliability mod on would eliminate the FTE's, but I also like to shoot the higher velocity loads as well. Hopefully you have good luck with them and don't require any kind of mods to shoot.

"Out of the box" S-12s will not typically cycle that weak of a load. You'll most likely have to do quite a bit of work to the gun to get it to cycle that ammo. My S-12 had a reduced tension main spring, reduced tension recoil spring, profiled and polish bolt, polished bolt carrier, internal polishing and gunfixer on setting 3, and it wouldn't reliably cycle Winchester Universal (8 shot, 1200 FPS).

You'd be better off going to Walmart and buy the 100 round bulk pack of Federal for $23.00+ tax.

Edit: My S-12 is a 3 port gun with all ports fully exposed.

hey Bridis whats youre port size?

Edited by psl sniper
  • Like 1

Anyone ever shot Win 2 3/4"-1 1/16 oz-7 1/2shot 1145 FPS loads in their Saiga 12 on #2 setting? I have a chance to pick some up cheap. Just need to know if they'll cycle.

Thanks,

Jim Outlaw

Last week I finished my first port job...actually JOBS. I've had an S12 for over a year and a half now and never ported it, just used high brass stuff and never had the bolt polished or low recoil springs, and all I did was trick it out with M4 butt stocks and and a tri rail..well I decided to take the plunge and knock the old block off and port my older S12 as well as my 2nd, brand new one. The point is, I succesfully ported both guns and ran this EXACT same ammo out of both of them right after the port to test the low velocity/low brass theory nd they cycled PERFECTLY. I used an MD v-plug and factory spring as well.