Modified Saiga 12 FTE

HI

I sent my saiga 12 to a gun smith to get modified for the trigger, and cut barrel from 24 to 18"

when I first got it FTE almost every shot. Sent it back to gunsmith and he adjusted ports, but I am still getting FTE on many shots, it seems to get worse the more I shoot it. at first it was only with the drun, it would shoot 5 FTE shoot 5, now I am getting FTE with 5 round Magazine. I purchased the MD adjustable plug to try and see if setting amke it better but no JOY. Before I have to send it back again, Is there something I can do/check to figure out root cause of the FTE. The Cartridge I am using is the RIO 00 buckshot 3 inch, and in the drum it was the remington 2 3/4 00 buckshot

I am new to all of this and would appreciate some help

Have you tried profiling and polishing the bolt and polishing the bolt carrier, hammer and other contact points? You could also try a reduced tension main spring and reduced tension recoil spring. You might also check the gas ports to make sure they're not getting clogged.

Have you tried profiling and polishing the bolt and polishing the bolt carrier, hammer and other contact points? You could also try a reduced tension main spring and reduced tension recoil spring. You might also check the gas ports to make sure they're not getting clogged.

is there a link to detail how to do the above?

is there a link to detail how to do the above?

www.carolinashooterssupply.com

Check out the videos and all of the saiga 12 parts. You'll find everything you need to know and more.

Edited by Bridis

i started with the easy stuff and checked the gas ports, I have three and it looked like two were a little clogged, I poked them through with a paper clip, they look like they are just barely fitting in the hole, may need to open it up a little bit. gonna try it out this weekend at range and see if it fixes issue, if not gonna send it back to Gun Smith :(

Why do you keep sending it to the Gunsmith? He obviously can't fix it. Why not spend a few hours watching videos and reading about your gun? The only tools required to work on the gun are a dremel, a few drill bits, a hammer, a small punch, a screw driver and maybe a small block off wood. All of which could be purchased for less than one trip to the smith. And when you are done you'll have a few tools that can be used for many other things, a greater knowledge of your gun and the satisfaction of doing the job right.

• Like 2

Well I took it to range and still almost every round fte. Brought it home and tried to remove puck and it seemed pretty stuck did not want to move at all.had to poke it out with my cleaning rod. blasted it with some gun scrubber, and cleaned it up a bit, now it moves but not so easily, is this normal? or should I be able to just pop out puck easily.

Well I took it to range and still almost every round fte. Brought it home and tried to remove puck and it seemed pretty stuck did not want to move at all.had to poke it out with my cleaning rod. blasted it with some gun scrubber, and cleaned it up a bit, now it moves but not so easily, is this normal? or should I be able to just pop out puck easily.

A mixture of carbon and wad fouling gets in the threads and puck grooves after a good shooting session, so some "persuasion" is usually necessary to get things apart again.

• Like 1

sounds like your not getting enough gas. If you decide to pull your gas block check and see is the block is covering a port. My gun had one port partially blocked by the gas block, it ran fine but it runs great now that I added a forth port and made sure none of them where blocked by the gas block.

• 1 month later...

sorry for the late response.

I tried to shoot after clean puck still an issue, so I called up gunsmith ( a member of this board)

and explained the issue, they said send it back, they would run through everything , and figure it out, but to them they did not think it was under gassed. Long story short, they found issue, it was a BAD PUCK, it was mis formed and it did not move much, they replaced puck test fired 50 rounds, and gun is working like a champ. I just got it back yesterday and at range. Ran Full MD 20 no FTE, ran 10 5 round clips NO FTE. Problem solved. I am a happy camper :killer::D

Edited by larrytbull