Muzzle brakes

The various "aggressive" style muzzle brakes really look good at the end of the barrel, but what enhancements can be expected from an "improved performance" standpoint?

Would the adjustable poly chokes have the vote for the better choice as far as being more "practical" ?

I really like the looks of the cool brakes but if they don't do much other than look cool ......

The various "aggressive" style muzzle brakes really look good at the end of the barrel, but what enhancements can be expected from an "improved performance" standpoint?

Would the adjustable poly chokes have the vote for the better choice as far as being more "practical" ?

I really like the looks of the cool brakes but if they don't do much other than look cool ......

Those with poly chokes rarely complain.

A muzzle break can act kinda like a bayonet & will kinda make the shot spread a tiny bit quicker, being as the I.D. is usually larger than that of the barrel.

If you plan on using your gun for home invasions, breacher breaks & door breacher rounds may prove useful, especially if you're impersonating police officers.

Those with poly chokes rarely complain.

I've got a vented polychoke on mine and I like it. While it doesn't look real fancy, it made a noticable difference in recoil, and it's actually useful for hunting/sporting clays/trap/etc.

Be aware that it adds about 3" to the barrel length, so now my 24" S12 looks like a piece of field artillery.<_<

Also, I've heard elsewhere on this forum that adding a choke (such as the polychoke) helps finicky S12s cycle low powered loads.

If you plan on using your gun for home invasions, breacher breaks & door breacher rounds may prove useful, especially if you're impersonating police officers.

LOL

For a muzzle device to really reduce recoil on a Saiga-12, it's gotta be significantly larger than a rifle muzzle brake. Here's one that really works:

tromixmonsterbrake.jpg

Of course, the trade-off is length. The "Monster Brake" is ~5.8" long.

For the vast majority of S-12 owners, I think that a Polychoke is the best choice. It tightens your shot patterns, (or spreads em on the "reverse choke" settings), giving you more effective range and it also helps finickly guns cycle more reliably with light loads.

ymmv.

It's a shotgun, choke it :angel: Could look into adapters that allow you to use chokes mad by Winchester or other major manufacturers.

They work great and it's a great idea if you already have a shotgun with a bunch of chokes for it. Cobra would be a good person to talk about choke adapter set ups.

I used this one and have no complaints other than the price. When I went to the range I tried it both on and off of the weapon there was little noticeable difference on the recoil but it help a lot with muzzle clime a bit of advice: Use a barrel nut and blue locktite the recoil will make things come loose.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-494/CHAOS-SAIGA-12-WARTHOG/Detail

Edited by silentknight

The competition style brakes offer noticeable recoil reduction, I like the JTE brakes like so:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-408/Saiga-12-Competition-brake/Detail

Effective braking, works as a breacher or impact weapon, not too sharp, about 4" long looks good to me.

True, the brakes that are designed for competition are more effective than the shorter, "extra-pointy" ones. I'm not personally a fan of the JTE brakes, they look a little generic when compared to a brake like this one:

tromixcompetitionbrake.jpg

But looks are entirely subjective.

I have little doubt that the Monster Brake is the most effective muzzle device at actually reducing felt recoil on a 12-ga, but it is damn long. I'm turning that length into an asset, to reduce the length of actual barrel I need on my own S-12. Of course, some people aren't at all interested in going that way, and that's one of the great things about the S-12, there are so many different ways to set up these shotguns.

It'd be pretty damned boring if all our guns looked the same. :mellow: