new saiga owner

Hi all. I have been lurking here on these forums while deciding on my next rifle purchase. After lots of reading and comparing it came down to the Saiga 7.62 and the ruger mini 14. I was able to handle the ruger at local dealers but here in Cali for some lame reason, Saigas are nowhere to be found. After much thought, I decided on the Saiga. I had a very hard time finding a dealer to help me with a transfer. Big 5 doesn't do them, Turner's were really weird as soon as I said Saiga(they were all gaga about the mini though). Finally found a guy that would help me out so I placed my order and I should have my rifle soon. Any other shooters here that live in So Cal? Know any good ranges that allow centerfire rifles? Most of my local ranges only allow handguns and rimfires. Any open ranges near the L.A./O.C. area? Any trouble with range officers or law enforcement?

All I can tell you is, "Welcome to the addiction!" :super: These are like Lay's potato chips... Ya can't have just one. Bet you'll have one more within a year's time! :lolol:

As you know from lurking, you have plenty of great info here to enable you to spend money on your new hobby, so search away and ask lots of questions. There is no other cache of knowledge on the 'net like you'll find here!

Pictures and range reports are a must, too. :smoke:

Hey HBrebel...

I'm in OC and I'm looking at purchasing a 7.62 X39. I was talking with an employee at my local pistol range's pro shop and they are going to be ordering my rifle for me, that way I don't have to deal with any additional paperwork or fees. Anyways, have you heard of Burro Canyon in Azusa? It's an outdoor range buy they allow all caliber weapons to be shot there and have multiple ranges; pistol, shotgun and rifle. They also have ranges that you can rent for the day if you have a few of your buddies going with you. Nice place and they have guns to rent as well.

Check it out!

http://www.burrocanyon.com/

Good choice, HBrebel. Ruger Mini rifles are teh gay.

Some of us haven't forgotten the way that company supported the 1994 "Assault Weapons" Ban. :evil: The only Ruger firearm I own is a 10/22 that I bought in '94, (a bit ironic).

Yeah, I know, "they've changed, they've changed".. but imo it's gonna take awhile for a stink like that to wear off, (maybe in a few more decades :D ).

thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice. As soon i get the rifle and some ammo I will go check out Burro canyon and report back my results. This will be my first "AK" style rifle so it should be interesting. I had my heart set on the wooden stock model but it seems they are always on backorder and I don't wanna wait. Any tips on where to find a decent military style sling?

thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice. As soon i get the rifle and some ammo I will go check out Burro canyon and report back my results. This will be my first "AK" style rifle so it should be interesting. I had my heart set on the wooden stock model but it seems they are always on backorder and I don't wanna wait. Any tips on where to find a decent military style sling?

A few folks over on the ak files usually have military style slings for sale in the marketplace section. I have 1 or 2 more sources I can dig up if you need. I actually might be posting a navy military sling soon to purchase a new one to go with a rifle I just purchased.. If I do Ill give you a heads up.

As for the wood, you know its not that far away if you want it. :angel: There is plenty of folks and info here that could provide you the info on how to convert your rifle how you want it to be. :super: The options are open. Although you could always buy another and have 2! :haha: lol

GL and happy shooting. :killer:

Try "

Project 2000 (P2K) range and gunshop in El Cojon, CA. http://www.p2krange.com/

I was there about a year ago when visiting my son in Temecula. Very Black Rifle friendly. That had MMGs, Saigas, and all manner of good stuff. Great people and very firiendly. You can also legally buy a factory stock Saiga in Nevada, as it is not prohibited in Kalifornia.

PS, oops, it was Burro Canyon I went to with my son, not P2K. Burro Canyon was Black Rifle friendly. P2K I went to about 5 years ago, and just shot pistol there. Sorry.

Edited by imarangemaster

Roger that info on Burro canyon, now that I know about it, I can go kill the waiting period by shooting my Mossberg500.022.gif Can't do shotguns or centerfires anywhere near my location. There is one range but they require you to pay for a rifle course(reservations only) and you have to shoot their ammo. No shotties allowed due to guys using birdshot. I have only fired about 10 rounds out of it and it sits home hiding under the bed waiting. My rifle should be at the ffl in a couple days, then.....I wait.ph34r.gif Chevyman, keep me posted on that sling, I will be looking for one very soon.