Rock River Arms PDS - Piston AR15 Pistol - reviews?

We talked to the guys from Rock River Arms at the Shotshow. Using their new patented piston system for the AR15, we were told that they went 100,000 rounds without a single failure over a 10 week period of time before they gave up on trying to make it fail. Anyone have any experience with them? We just received 4 in stock on Monday. I am dying to buy one from our store for myself to try out.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/rock-river-arms-pds-piston-ar15-pistol-in-stock-p-1616.html

post-5490-0-56215300-1288168743_thumb.jpg

post-5490-0-68436900-1288168757_thumb.jpg

Please don't take this in any way shape or form wrong because I'm not knocking this gun. I'm REALLY in to pistols that are by most peoples opinions, odd. I own some Dracos, a couple AR pistols, a Savage Striker, a Lone Eagle and some where laying around all my other gun junk, pieces to a PLR-16 (I also used to own a Vector in 308) and can honestly say the AR pistol is my favorite because I can get cheek weld on the buffer tube. If Rock river did this for durability reasons (although I have had no issues with my non-piston driven AR pistols) then I guess I can see it. Maybe they did it so you could take a step in the direction of an SBR with already having the gun in your hot little hands? Either way, if I was looking for a rifle caliber pistol (that didn't have the buffer tube) I'd grab the Draco over a non-buffer tube AR.

If they offered in different calibers, I might take another look at it.

No personal experience with one, and I haven't read much on them........but they definitely peeked my interest when I first saw them, because I was also looking at the XCR pistol, which is a similar no-buffer-tube design.

I like the charging handle position and the fact that it's got no buffer tube.

I'm not liking the handguards at all. It looks like the extension hose on my vacuum cleaner, lol. From the looks of it, you're stuck with them. The only other concern I have is the ability to mount a stock, if you were to SBR it down the road. There's a pic rail right there, but I can't tell if it's removable and able to accept a buffer tube/stock. If it doesn't, it's going to turn a lot of people away, IMHO.

Can you confirm on that?

Just found this out through a friend. There is a stock that's offered that connects to the rail. They also had to come up with a way to put a sling attachment on since there's no buffer tube. Hence the rail.

Just found this out through a friend. There is a stock that's offered that connects to the rail. They also had to come up with a way to put a sling attachment on since there's no buffer tube. Hence the rail.

Yup. I just checked RRA's site. They offer a carbine version of the pistol and it has a stock attached. The mount looks kinda big and clunky, though.

rpds_car10v.gif

Not sure if I like it or not.

There's a pic rail right there, but I can't tell if it's removable and able to accept a buffer tube/stock. If it doesn't, it's going to turn a lot of people away, IMHO.

I was wondering that myself, hahaha. I was like, "is someone gonna mount an optic that faces straight up??" :lolol:

That's like the XDM gun cases having rails on them :lolol:

WHOA! I just looked at the price on those bad lads! I think I'd pick up the Sig at that price, or just build a couple AR pistols instead.....

Yeah, the MSRP on RRA's site is pretty pricey. I can't find any dealers stocking it, so I'm not sure what they're actually going for. I really do like the charging handle, and lack of a buffer tube.

But that being said, for the price, you could build a nice AR pistol and have plenty of spare change leftover.

WHOA! I just looked at the price on those bad lads! I think I'd pick up the Sig at that price, or just build a couple AR pistols instead.....

Yeah, the MSRP on RRA's site is pretty pricey. I can't find any dealers stocking it, so I'm not sure what they're actually going for. I really do like the charging handle, and lack of a buffer tube.

But that being said, for the price, you could build a nice AR pistol and have plenty of spare change leftover.

Or you could give that money to me, and I'll spend it in your honor :lolol:

LOL! Nice VaiFanatic90...

Shooter-I can't tell you how much the buffer tube helps, if you don't want one just so that it's compact there are other options.

Don't forget that .223/5.56 was never made for a short barreled system. The 7.62x39 is still MUCH better out of a short barrel. Hence Draco

LOL! Nice VaiFanatic90...

Shooter-I can't tell you how much the buffer tube helps, if you don't want one just so that it's compact there are other options.

Don't forget that .223/5.56 was never made for a short barreled system. The 7.62x39 is still MUCH better out of a short barrel. Hence Draco

Yeah, a Draco is already set as my next purchase, guaranteed. :super:

Sorry to bash, but I feel it's valid...

100k rounds with no failures? I call bullshit. Regardless of the weapon itself, it'd be a miracle to find 100,000 rounds of ammunition in a row all of which worked flawlessly. Unless they define failure in a manner that does not include some types of failures, they are either not telling the truth, or they have a gun made from a fairy-dust unicorn-hair smelted-rainbow miracle alloy.

Also, $1300+ for a .223 pistol? They're as crazy as Sig.

It might be something I'd consider for about half the price, if it came in a caliber that wasn't effectively neutered by a short barrel.

Sorry to bash, but I feel it's valid...

100k rounds with no failures? I call bullshit. Regardless of the weapon itself, it'd be a miracle to find 100,000 rounds of ammunition in a row all of which worked flawlessly. Unless they define failure in a manner that does not include some types of failures, they are either not telling the truth, or they have a gun made from a fairy-dust unicorn-hair smelted-rainbow miracle alloy.

Also, $1300+ for a .223 pistol? They're as crazy as Sig.

It might be something I'd consider for about half the price, if it came in a caliber that wasn't effectively neutered by a short barrel.

Controlled environment, great ammo, and fairy dust still can't go through without one hiccup I wouldn't think. Either way real world and indoor range world are two different things. Does anyone know what's different about there gas system?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm a little late to this party, but I work at a machine shop that supplies parts for rock river arms. We are shipping out the first batch of carbine length tri rails for these for anodizing on monday, should be about another two weeks before we finish the first batch of pistol length ones. We went out to the range with some of the rock river guys a few weeks ago and they had ten pds's out there being shot, including a carbine length one that I was told had 25,000+ rounds through it that had yet to be cleaned or lubed (besides the initial lubing after assembly). I didn't see any of them jam. The carbine I shot managed a roughly one inch group of 5 at 100 yards, but that's pretty much the limit to my skill level anyway, so the gun could probably do better. The recoil defiantly feels different than a normal ar, but its had to describe. It maybe feels a little faster I guess would be the way I would describe it. I would probably buy one if I had that kind of change laying around, but it seems I'm stuck with my normal rock river ar for now, and really thats not a bad thing at all.

I saw one last weekend, and I wasn't exactly wow'd by it. Apparently the rail on the back is for facilitating a single-point sling.

Yeah, that handguard makes it look like some sort of space gun. I'd take a picture of one with the tri rail on it, but I'd probably get bitched at for it. Needless to say getting some aluminum out front instead of that ridiculous plastic thing helps with the looks quite a lot.