Best method for adding a muzzle device for my Saiga x39?

I'm interested in getting either the PWS Jtac or a quality US made AK74 break (a good one, not a $15 Tapco). What would be the easiest and/or cheapest method of making this happen? On an unreleated note, can I use the gas tube off of an AK74 on my Saiga 7.62x39? My buddy is about to replace the gas tube off of his lancaster AK74 in favor of an ultimak rail, and if it'll work, I'll take it off his hands.

Easiest and cheapest route is to buy a $10.00 tubing cutter and cut the shroud. You may or may not have factory threads. If not, you'll then need to either buy or rent a 14x1LH threading die kit. Or, you can cut your current front sight block off and install a Bulgarian 24x1.5mm front sight block. You can get the factory sight block off with a dremel tool, cutting it down the sides, then you can use a rubber mallet and a sledge hammer to pound the new one on if you don't have a press. the cheapest Bulgarian FSB ive seen is the one Classy Kalashnikov used from AKPartskits.com for $25.00, but you'd have to drill it for the pins and install a plunger pin and spring and use your factory front sight block drum and post in it. Or look around on other forums at people selling Bulgarian front sight blocks. I got one recently with everything ready to install for $45.00 shipped and I'm going to be adding a '74 type brake to it soon.

Pics from my gallery:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=3021

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=3020

• Like 1

AN easy way to check and see if you have threads is to stick your fingernail between the shroud and the barrel. Where the thread ends it is closest to the muzzle and you can catch it with the fingernail just slightly. That is how I found out mine is threaded.

Easiest and cheapest route is to buy a $10.00 tubing cutter and cut the shroud. You may or may not have factory threads. If not, you'll then need to either buy or rent a 14x1LH threading die kit. Or, you can cut your current front sight block off and install a Bulgarian 24x1.5mm front sight block. You can get the factory sight block off with a dremel tool, cutting it down the sides, then you can use a rubber mallet and a sledge hammer to pound the new one on if you don't have a press. the cheapest Bulgarian FSB ive seen is the one Classy Kalashnikov used from AKPartskits.com for $25.00, but you'd have to drill it for the pins and install a plunger pin and spring and use your factory front sight block drum and post in it. Or look around on other forums at people selling Bulgarian front sight blocks. I got one recently with everything ready to install for $45.00 shipped and I'm going to be adding a '74 type brake to it soon.

Pics from my gallery:

http://forum.saiga-1...wimage&img=3021

http://forum.saiga-1...wimage&img=3020

How many blades did you have to use before you cut through it? If I go down this route, I wanna make sure I have all the proper equipment.

I had 2 of them and 1 of them bent on me because I was tightening it a little too tight. When I put the new blade in, barely tightened after every couple of turns, it cut very easy and didnt take more than a few minutes. Just be sure to keep some kind of oil on it while cutting. When it finally cut through, the piece of the shroud popped right off the end and gave me a nice strait cut without touching the barrel. I ended up cleaning it up a bit with a file to smooth the edges, but I had no problem with the result. You can see pics of the tubing cutter and the results in my picture gallery (click) before I filed the edge.

But, I ended up installing a Bulgarian FSB not too long ago and it didnt take more than 20 minutes or so, including the time it took to cut the factory front sight block off and I have no press or expensive machinery. I used a rubber mallet and sledge hammer and it went on pretty easy. Got it on as far as I could with the rubber mallet, had 1/2 inch or less to go and I gave it a couple solid whacks with the sledge hammer and it went right in place. I plan to install the 7.62x39 '74 type brake as soon as I get around to ordering it, as it seems to be the best option in my opinion.

PS- if you just thread your barrel, be sure to use plenty of loctight or a crush washer or something to index the brake or flash hider and keep it tight. I lost a phantom flash hider pretty quick. :unsure:

I like the looks of the Bulgarian FSB much more as well.

Edited by KC913
  • Like 1

I had 2 of them and 1 of them bent on me because I was tightening it a little too tight. When I put the new blade in, barely tightened after every couple of turns, it cut very easy and didnt take more than a few minutes. Just be sure to keep some kind of oil on it while cutting. When it finally cut through, the piece of the shroud popped right off the end and gave me a nice strait cut without touching the barrel. I ended up cleaning it up a bit with a file to smooth the edges, but I had no problem with the result. You can see pics of the tubing cutter and the results in my picture gallery (click) before I filed the edge.

But, I ended up installing a Bulgarian FSB not too long ago and it didnt take more than 20 minutes or so, including the time it took to cut the factory front sight block off and I have no press or expensive machinery. I used a rubber mallet and sledge hammer and it went on pretty easy. Got it on as far as I could with the rubber mallet, had 1/2 inch or less to go and I gave it a couple solid whacks with the sledge hammer and it went right in place. I plan to install the 7.62x39 '74 type brake as soon as I get around to ordering it, as it seems to be the best option in my opinion.

PS- if you just thread your barrel, be sure to use plenty of loctight or a crush washer or something to index the brake or flash hider and keep it tight. I lost a phantom flash hider pretty quick. :unsure:

I like the looks of the Bulgarian FSB much more as well.

What did you use to support the receiver while pounding the FSB on?

And have you installed multiple FSB on Saigas, if so do they have a variation of how easy they go on?