Barry wasn't done...

Well for the first rendition see Here.

That said... I wanted a slant break on my x39, whats a guy to do?

Step 1: I already removed the sleeve in the hopes of finding threads, no luck. So i dremiled the bottom of the FSB thin and used a chisel and 22oz estwing to shear it open. Slid right out after!

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

Next step was removal of the gas block. This has nothing to do with putting a slant break on, but while I'm there, might as well get the lower handguard retainer right?

IMG_3114.JPG

I drove out the rear pin with a punch and my trusty estwing. The front one gave me the damndest time... you know why? there is no front pin. I REPEAT there is no front pin! Man I was so fucking pissed when I found out i wasted over 30 mins hammering my brains out on a 1/2 drilled hole in my gas block...

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

The gas block also needed to be relief drilled and then it was able to be(Finaly!) pressed off.

IMG_3118.JPG

The handguard retainer slid on ever so nicely.

Reinstalation of the gas block went smoothly. At first we were using a box end 9/16 wrench around the barrel and brass hammer to pound it back on. Then Stormi had this great idea for a specialty tool...

I swear we think better drunk. The old front sight was exacly what we needed.

I re-used the original REAR pin in the gas block. checked the gas block for proper alignment with the barrel, and gas tube.

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3120.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

Okay, So now with the original gas block back on, I have these drilled out dimples(and one that popped off completly.

That won't do. Over to the welder to make sure this thing never comes apart again. While I'm at it I fill in the rear dimples from the front sight as the new one will not cover it up.

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

Evidently seeing me try to thread the end of my barrel with a die and a set of channel locks was so funny to the company in the garage that night that they had to take pics.

I must say this is not the way to do it. Its really not a effective method of getting the job done. Had to stop here for a few days...

After fighting the good fight this is all I was rewarded with.

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

Originaly my intent was to use 15% silver solder to hold the break on and keep those evil threads from making my gun go out and kill babies while I slept. But I wasn't happy with the penetration I was getting. Rather than fight it, I simply welded my front sight block in place, and welded the break to the front sight block.

Voila! no more evil threads.

P4170603.JPG

P4170605.JPG

P4170606.JPG

P4170607.JPG

And thats where I'm currently at. I just got in a bulgarian gas tube, and I need to get some nice wood furnature, and some more duracoat to fix all the damage I did to my finish.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Wait a minute!!!

I haven't been able to make suggestions that force you to spend more money, the way you have with all my projects, WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!

Just kidding man, looking good!

Damn Nailbomb, you are one talented fellow!

I have help from a friend on damn near every project I do. I have my strengths, and they have theirs. The end results are usualy pretty damn good.

In this case, I gotta thank Stormi, and my father. Stormi has a incredible wealth of knowledge from building a lot of AK part kits, and that came in very handy in this case. My father was able to fabricate a die handle that was adjustable, to a adjustable die, and it proved quite valuable.

Gotta give credit where credit is due.

As far as taking on work. This is my hobby, and how I unwind. I don't want to deal with customers.

If someone wanted to come by, have a beer or 2 and do a conversion... well thats a entirly different story.

Don't think we didn't play. Slapped on Jake's stock, PG & sling, a set of my spare HG's and cleaning rod. Just for Show and Tell.

post-10574-093478300 1279501329_thumb.jpg post-10574-060265600 1279501300_thumb.jpg

Beer doesn't always help the thinking, noticed this in one of the pics;

post-10574-017382200 1279501712_thumb.jpg

Walking of the bench, I almost lost this soldier!

Great work, Nailbomb, as always! :up:

I was about to ask why you didn't take the opportunity to put a lugged gas block and fsb on "Barry", but then I remembered your location: behind enemy lines. :(

Shit man, you really need to move west, where you can better put your skills to use, and build your guns how you really want em. ;)

I was about to ask why you didn't take the opportunity to put a lugged gas block and fsb on "Barry", but then I remembered your location: behind enemy lines. :(

All the gas blocks I saw online were 45 degree blocks. The saiga uses a 90 degree gas block... are they interchangable?

All the gas blocks I saw online were 45 degree blocks. The saiga uses a 90 degree gas block... are they interchangable?

No, they're not, but Bulgarian 90 degree 7.62 gb's with intact lugs are available, and they're virtually identical to Russian ones.

I figured that due to bullshit NY state law, bayo lugs and "accessory" lugs, (the one on the gb), were not an option.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I figured that due to bullshit NY state law, bayo lugs and "accessory" lugs, (the one on the gb), were not an option.

They arn't! But i was concerned that if things didn't work out and I needed replacement parts that they were not available.

The FSB I used was a east german, and never had a lug on it.

...Interesting that you did not go with 24mm block/brake, did you just prefer the slant brake for style?

I'm guessing that he went with the slant brake at least partly because he can't have a threaded barrel in NY. Any muzzle device must be "permanently" attached. A 24mm '74 brake could be a serious PITA to clean if you couldn't easily remove it.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I'm guessing that he went with the slant brake at least partly because he can't have a threaded barrel in NY. Any muzzle device must be "permanently" attached. A 24mm '74 brake could be a serious PITA to clean if you couldn't easily remove it.

Yes, it is. I have a 24mm brake permanently attached on both my Saigas it is a pain to clean with corrosive especially.

Interesting that you did not go with 24mm block/brake, did you just prefer the slant brake for style?

They always looked bulky to me, that and they are longer. I prefer the classic look of a slant break.

I didn't even know they were a PITA to clean...

Honestly, I have no clue anymore. Don't even remember where I got it from.

Its so ugly its beautiful...I simply must have one.

I know what you mean... Like i said its growing on me already...

Worst part is it looks terrible with the saw grip, but the angles are really similar, so it FEELS good...

Great job...too bad were on opposite ends of the state. I have nobody to build with here, I'm all alone in my hobby!

when I did my 7.62 conversion I looked through all my info from previous builds... Bulgarian 74 GB and FSB are the correct ID for the saiga 7.62 barrel OD. I used them in my conversion, The lug on the GB is just an accessory lug and needed no attention, but the FSB lug(bayo lug) got the no attach bayo treatment. and the 74 style brake is perm. attached and is a PITA to clean.

I had factory 14x1 Threads on my barrel and looking at yours I should have gone with the AKM FSB and Brake....I am doing a .223 soon and will change things up a bit.

thanks for your post...