Will I need to change the gas tube on my x39 to attach the Midwest Ind

I'm looking at my friend's AK74 from Lancaster and at my Saiga gas tube and the only difference I see is the retainer to hold the upper handguard on. Although I haven't seen the MI handguard in person, from pictures on the internet, it kind of looks like the rail doesn't actually make contact with that upper retainer. So can I just skip replacing my gas tube with an AK one? With that said, will I even need the lower handguard retainer? How does the midwest rail attach? I can't find any installation instructions

0O2P0088-1024-Stick.jpg

I haven't seen one either but I agree with your observation. Looks like it bolts onto the lower portion.

OK i just found this. Not sure if we are allowed to link to other sites so I"ll just post a snippet from weapon evolution forum:

"Installation of the rail is straight forward, there are two primary components, which are the upper and lower handguard. There is also a locking piece, and a few sets of screws. The only tools needed are your brain, and the allenwrenches that come with the handguards.

For people who are familiar with the AK, removal is as straight forward as field stripping the weapon, flipping the lever to pull off the lower handguard, and rotating out the upper handguard piece. If you are like me, who spends more time with the M4 platform, it will take a few extra minutes as you remember the top handguard is rotated out. I'll be doing a installation writeup at a later date to show how simple this really is.

After pulling it apart, the bottom rail goes on, clamps to the barrel, and after you slip the gas tube back in, the upper rail pops on and is secured with a few screws, and you are done.

Rail lockup is tight, and there is zero movement. The rail is secured to the barrel, and mounting optics, lasers, lights, VFGs or sling mounts all end up being very straight forward. The rails are cut to the standard 1913 spec, so most any railed accessory should mount without a problem."

0O2P0072-1024-Stick.jpg

0O2P0082-1024-Stick.jpg

does this cowitness?

Not as shown, but there is a new AK-specific model with a US PALMS top cover that allows an Aimpoint Micro to sit lower, and thus allow it to cowitness. That's why I was wondering if the AK47 version can mount up to an unconverted saiga. Plus I like the shorter length of the AK one for a slight weight advantage (every ounce counts when it's towards the muzzle end of the gun)

does this cowitness?

Not as shown, but there is a new AK-specific model with a US PALMS top cover that allows an Aimpoint Micro to sit lower, and thus allow it to cowitness. That's why I was wondering if the AK47 version can mount up to an unconverted saiga.

Any standard AK handguards can fit a Saiga. But you'll have to install a lower HG retainer and probably swap out your gas tube for a standard AK one (or at least, pop the tiny spot welds on the Saiga's "shield" that's on the gas tube and remove the shield).

Will the new top section for mounting an aimpoint work on the saiga specific lower with a saiga gas tube? They don't offer the new top rail with the saiga specific bottom so it makes me wonder. I'm not planning to order one any time real soon. If I was I would probably just call MI and ask.

Will the new top section for mounting an aimpoint work on the saiga specific lower with a saiga gas tube? They don't offer the new top rail with the saiga specific bottom so it makes me wonder. I'm not planning to order one any time real soon. If I was I would probably just call MI and ask.

I don't think so. On MI's site, it says that the US PALM topcover " fits only MI Universal Handguard".