For those of you who have a food storage/emergency system. What brands/companys have you used and what suggestions do you have. I currently only have beans and need to build up our storage. What do you suggest for beginners?

I like mountain house...they offer some packages too...just quick with up to thirty year shelf life...just sayin as a noob it easy..

I have done many of the pouches, have not busted open any cans but if the pouch is any indications its great. I love the chili mac and the stews, the chicken is ok...kinda rubbery but that did not affect the taste...the desserts are a nice touch if you have kids... http://www.mountainhouse.com/ check them out...

I am assuming you are talking worst case scenerio longer term...if so look at growing herbs and get some seeds...if short term or bug out go pouches or mre..maybe food bars...I use just normal non-parishables that are available in my home just in case kit...

Edited by DJ Big Dog

MH is the best, lowest cost per year of storage. If SHTFdont bother with seeds, stay low and wait the situation out, becoming a fucking farmer is not an option for Sal...

I'm thinkin you don't do indoor hydroponics if in a safe situation sal...lol no green thumb huh....MH does rock...bought some at tax time for a years supply...

I just placed an order through www.shelfreliance.com but I haven't received it yet. I found them through costco online, through which they are a partnered vendor. Its probably a good starting place, and it might be a bit cheaper than MH. YOU HAVE to check out analyticalsurvival channel on youtube...that guy is the shit!!! I recomend ALL of his video's.

-EnzNow

Edited by EnzNow

Hydro set ups require electricity... Lots of it. This may not be a good idea during an emergency situatuion.

Sunlight and a hand pump...no electricity...have one that naturally runs from an aquarium using a siphon...no juice there either...but I am pretty out of the box thinker...lol

What about this one? http://www.costco.com/browse/product.aspx?prodid=11219554 Up to 20 years shelves life

Oddly enough, this is sitting in my closet right now. The down side for me is im a meat eater and this is vegetarian. (you can read the reviews on costcos page too) Thats when I went to shelf reliance and bought their TVD meats to supplement the 5 gallon bucket. Its mostly soups...but it does have powdered milk which is a plus. Pretty heavy too, 24lbs worth of calories for $74 w/ free shipping sounded good enough for me. The manuf date on mine was 10/27/10, looks to be as fresh as possible, the day before it shipped :)

FYI- I also got a new 55 gal, BPA free, food grade water storage drum(package) through costco too, $100 w/ free shipping. Glad I did it!

-EnzNow

Edited by EnzNow

yes I am talking longer term shelf life. Just checked out the Mountain House website. They have really good self life 25years for the cans. I think I will buy cans when the funds come around.

Let's see....25 years ago it was 1985. I can't imagine opening up a can of anything in the year 2035 and finding anything I want to eat. I keep a large stash of regular canned food and I eat and replace items on a regular basis so that nothing gets very old and nothing has to be discarded because it expires. Mountain House dehydrated food is good but I only keep a limited amount of those around and I rotate those way before they expire, too.

What about this one? http://www.costco.co...prodid=11219554 Up to 20 years shelves life

Not sure if that's the one or not but someone said the servings aren't enough calories to live on.

"Rations" are based on 1500 calories a day.....

Not bad quality, though.... bland...

Another good source are the fanatics at the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints (i.e. the Mormons). They have canneries throughout the country and sell cheap food for long term storage. For those of you who are uncomfortable meeting Mormons face-to-face in order to get cheap long term storage, you can use their online catalog HERE. The RICEis a really good deal.

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

I have one of these and crank out my dehydraded foods.

http://www.excalibur...egular-prod.htm

If you want to learn a little about canning, watch this channel. From an area where my family is originally from. Tons of good information here.

http://www.youtube.c.../30/wmqRdbN4Kmc

Good luck and be safe,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung